Illinois' Benn to continue underacheiving in the NFL

Well now that he won't be coached by Zook he will have 15 TD's his rookie season

Why would anyone go play for that loser of a coach?

I wonder if has-benn at least learned how to water-ski under zschnook's tutelage??:rolleyes:

Todd McShay (ESPN) has Benn rated as the #3 WR in the draft...ridiculous. Apparently the "star rating" system ignores your lack of college production and transfers to your NFL Draft Stock.

Todd McShay (ESPN) has Benn rated as the #3 WR in the draft...ridiculous. Apparently the "star rating" system ignores your lack of college production and transfers to your NFL Draft Stock.

I believe the word for this is called..........

BUST

Todd McShay is about the same age as 'the disappearing Benn', that might understand why he is enamored with him.

No Todd just looks at it and says you have a guy with great size and speed at the WR position.

Players don't go to the NFL because of production in college necessarily

No Todd just looks at it and says you have a guy with great size and speed at the WR position.

Players don't go to the NFL because of production in college necessarily

Exactly...they go because they run a fast 40 time and look good all sweaty and ripped...then they flame out or ride someone's bench for 3 years before never being heard from again...then they spend the rest of their life wishing they had taken the "student" part of "student-athlete" a little more seriously...and then they have to smile and take it when people say "hey, didn't you used to be..."

Holy crap...why didn't anyone stop me from babbling before now???

Edit: And actually production in college does play a little part...I believe (but can't remember for sure) that McShay had Benn as the number 1 receiver, pre-season.

If you can't produce against inferior college athletes, you won't be able to produce against world class NFL athletes.

His first two years he actually had some big time numbers, setting school records and leading the conference in receiving yards. This year was a disaster for the whole offense, Benn included, but I wouldn't hold that against him. I think he is a likely first round pick, especially for a late-round team that is a receiver away from being elite. Miami, who drafted a similarly athletic junior out of IL, Vontae Davis, in the first round last year, comes to mind. To me, he's a better prospect than Dez Bryant, who hasn't played since September.

"If you can't produce against inferior college athletes, you won't be able to produce against world class NFL athletes."

Except that receivers don't singlehandedly generate their own game. They need a QB that can get them the ball, other receiving threats to keep them from being blanketed, and an offense that utilizes their advantages.

I won't be surprised at all if Benn ends up being a very good NFL WR. I'm guessing he's not very polished, and will take a few seasons (like most NFL WR's do), but he appears to have all the tools.

If pure receiving skills at the college level translated to the NFL, Ed Hinkel would be a perennial all- pro. Sadly, it seems in most cases that raw athleticism, speed, and size mean just as much if not more in the NFL.

I don't buy it. I don't think Benn will amount to much. Sure he has had issues with the offense, and he has been hurt. So has Tony Moeaki. He still made plays, even when he was on a bad team with Jake Christensen throwing him the ball.

Williams may not have been a great QB this year, but that didn't stop him from getting the ball to Benn previous years. Illinois has a very good running game, an excellent receiver on the other side in Fayson, and a very good tight end. You can't blame Benn's lack of production entirely on the offense.

The great receivers are the ones who demand the ball. Benn never did that. He never showed a willingness to stand up and lead that team even when Juice Williams failed to do so. He was the best player on that team, and a giant void in leadership like the one on display in Champaigne has to reflect on him somewhat.

Instead of standing up and and taking lead, he stood up and reinterated his hatred of Iowa.

Guys come on here! Who was throwing Benn the ball? Juice Williams! He was the least accurate QB of all time.

Between Juice not being able to throw a 10 yard in and Ron Zook being his coach, Benn was destined to fail at Illinois and there is nothing he could do about it

Sorry, but Benn is a stud. Reminds me of Andre Johnson of the Houston Texans.
Would love for the Bears to get him,but he will not drop down enough.

Guys come on here! Who was throwing Benn the ball? Juice Williams! He was the least accurate QB of all time.

Between Juice not being able to throw a 10 yard in and Ron Zook being his coach, Benn was destined to fail at Illinois and there is nothing he could do about it

Juice Williams was throwing him the ball his first two years when he had something like 1,700 yards. He didn't fail at Illinois by any means, he had one bad season.

I do not think he will be a great pro, because I question his heart. He has the talent, but he lacked the desire. When the team needed a leader, their best player didn't step up. He also seems to lack the ability to score. Even last year when he had over 1,000 yards and was all Big 10, he had 3 touchdowns.

Latest posts