I'll pick Jon's brain...and everyone else's

gimpyhawk

I've had this dreadfull scenario play out in my big fat water-head. What if either Florida or Alabama lose a regular season game (such as the Gators lose to the Bulldogs, or the Tide lose to Auburn), but still make it to their conference title game, then win that game. Would a 1-loss SEC champion, by winning that conference title game, move up to # 2 in the BCS standings behind a presumably #1 BCS ranked Texas?!?! Could THAT situation keep a 12-0 Iowa team out of the BCS title game?!!?
Let's get your thoughts, y'all...

If and a big if Iowa wins out, I believe Iowa would move ahead of either team that loses in the SEC title game, no matter the records of those two. All we can ask for is Iowa to win out and see where that leaves them. A Texas loss would be nice as well.

If and a big if Iowa wins out, I believe Iowa would move ahead of either team that loses in the SEC title game, no matter the records of those two. All we can ask for is Iowa to win out and see where that leaves them. A Texas loss would be nice as well.

You know, in a way, Iowa's schedule the rest of the way could hurt them. Close wins against teams like Indiana and jNU aren't going to do Iowa any favors with the human voters, especially when they seem to be biased against the Big 10 as it is. Iowa may need to bury some fools to move up.

Think of it this way - if both USC and Iowa win this weekend, do you think Iowa stays ahead of them in the BCS? I don't either.

That is a possibility but I can not see that happening. How disrespectful would that be to the Big 10 as a whole. If Iowa goes 12-0, I believe Iowa's SOS is there and Iowa is strong in the computers. Right now we are low in the human polls but should be in the top 3 by the end of the season if both SEC teams lose at least 1. I would love to play Texas in the NCS.

There's some thought that if LSU wins out (beating Alabama and then beating Florida in the conference championship game) they would make the NC game because their loss would be nullified, and since they beat Washington they should be ahead of USC. However, if a one-loss teams makes it ahead of an undefeated Big 10 team, DeLaney will go so berserk at the BCS meetings this off-season, it will probably lead to a lot of changes.

Iowa will need to make some hay in the eyes and minds of the human pollsters the next two weeks, because they will take a hit in the computers...then again, the other teams close behind them aren't going to face much either.

That is a possibility but I can not see that happening. How disrespectful would that be to the Big 10 as a whole. If Iowa goes 12-0, I believe Iowa's SOS is there and Iowa is strong in the computers. Right now we are low in the human polls but should be in the top 3 by the end of the season if both SEC teams lose at least 1. I would love to play Texas in the NCS.

I agree with you, but you have to look at every possibility. Texas' last chance for a loss is this weekend barring something shocking later on. If USC wins this weekend, they'll jump Iowa.

Florida and Alabama have looked very Iowa-like over the past few weeks. Close wins, lackluster offense.

I just think that even if Iowa wins out that they'll need some help to get into the MNC game. It sucks, but that's the way it is. I don't like the thought of Iowa potentially having to pay for Ohio State's past ***-kickings any more than anyone else does, but there really isn't anything we as fans can do about it.

Iowa will need to make some hay in the eyes and minds of the human pollsters the next two weeks, because they will take a hit in the computers...then again, the other teams close behind them aren't going to face much either.

Yep. The only way Iowa is going to impress anyone for the rest of the year is by winning (by large margins) their 3 home games and beating Ohio State.

Jon - what are your thoughts overall on the scenario(no matter how likely or unlikely it may be) I originally posted?

I think the computers love us too much to let that happen. I really think we have a chance to bein the top two if we win out. We win in the horse shoe I think the human voters finally respect us (like they did in the polls after the Penn State game). I'd think a top 5 in the human polls with being top two in the computer polls would be enough to get us top 2 over all.

I may be overally optimistic about it but I didn't expect us to be number 4 today.

If Iowa gets jumped by a 1 loss team, it just proves that college football is all about the money, period. It no longer is about your record, its about who the so called "experts" think should play each other.

Latest posts