If the Big 10 went to 20 teams

troy

Here would be my wish list:

Big Ten East
Current Teams: Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State.
New Teams: Rutgers, Maryland, West Virginia, Pitt, UConn, Syracuse.

Big Ten West
Current Teams: Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota.
New Teams: Notre Dame, Nebraska, Missouri.

I also thought about substituting Kansas for Syracuse somehow, but I like the way these East/West divisions are divided, keeping the 3 teams from Indiana in the same division.

If the Big 10 was to grow to 20 and the B12 does implode the B10 would consider Kansas & Kansas State. While they do not bring much to the table based on TV sets they would help strengthen the conference in basketball. Plus it would keep some close matchups and rivalries with Nebraska and Missouri.

But who knows, a lot of speculation going on right now.

If the Big 10 was to grow to 20 and the B12 does implode the B10 would consider Kansas & Kansas State. While they do not bring much to the table based on TV sets they would help strengthen the conference in basketball. Plus it would keep some close matchups and rivalries with Nebraska and Missouri.

But who knows, a lot of speculation going on right now.
That would make a nice Western division. Would Indiana and Purdue then be shifted to the East, and would that knock out Syracuse plus one other eastern team?

20 teams is way too many and I'm not trying to be a stodgy or anything (11 teams or die), it's just that each team added to the Big Ten has to merit its addition both academically and monetarily.

West Virginia does neither

UCONN is not an AAU school, but if UCONN with Syracuse & Rutgers got the Big Ten Network on New York City basic cable, then I think the Big Ten could help get UCONN AAU membership and raise its academic profile and might consider adding the school

Pitt does well academically, but not monetarily

Syracuse is in the same position as Pitt

I think 16 teams is probably near the limit since the next tier of candidates look like they wouldn't be able to generate enough new revenue to overcome their share from equal revenue distribution. They would essentially decrease the revenue for current Big 10 schools and I just don't see universities agreeing to any plan that decreases the money they will receive.

I think the Big 10 has to add Nebraska and probably Missouri. Those two schools just make too much sense geographically and Nebraska is just too much like all the other Big 10 school when it comes to football. As much as I dislike ND, they just make too much sense but it is completely up to them. ND would fit perfectly. Dollar wise would be a huge boon but the addition would make recruiting for Iowa more difficult by the addition of both NE and ND. After that I don't care...

If Texas and A&M joined we could recruit Texas better but man what a league.

Ok, u2 will have to post pictures of proof of that happening.

When the B10 first announced they were expanding I would have never dreamed of 20 either but with the way things are going nothing would surprise me.

Latest posts