IF Texas & ND are off the table

Win5002

How about this scenario. Add Nebraska & Missouri and then add a southern division of 4 if the league is to go to 16 teams.

From the south, check into North Carolina, Maryland, Ga. Tech & probably Vanderbilt or Virginia(although the Viriginia athletic program isn't exciting). All of these with maybe the exception of Maryland have high growth rates and are in the south, maybe that makes Virginia more attractive than Maryland.

This gives one storied football and one storied basketball program as an addition to the league.

Although, if they are looking for a homerun why not inquire the Florida Gators instead of Vandy? I think they were one of the few SEC schools that qualified academically. Maybe they wouldn't want to leave the SEC but worth a call.

How about this scenario. Add Nebraska & Missouri and then add a southern division of 4 if the league is to go to 16 teams.

From the south, check into North Carolina, Maryland, Ga. Tech & probably Vanderbilt or Virginia(although the Viriginia athletic program isn't exciting). All of these with maybe the exception of Maryland have high growth rates and are in the south, maybe that makes Virginia more attractive than Maryland.

This gives one storied football and one storied basketball program as an addition to the league.

Although, if they are looking for a homerun why not inquire the Florida Gators instead of Vandy? I think they were one of the few SEC schools that qualified academically. Maybe they wouldn't want to leave the SEC but worth a call.
Why do you write this stuff? You know as well as I do that Florida is not going to get a call to come to the Big Ten. Heck why not call USC and put an end to the Pac 10 expansion. People everyone needs to think before they type.

I didn't put them in the likely category, but if the Big 10 does go to 16 and they want to add a division of southern teams why wouldn't they make the call assuming the academics are in order?(which I believe has been reported as the case).

The travel isn't any further than Texas for most of the schools. Also, if there was a southern division that would give a group of schools geographically closer.

Yes, we are used to seeing them in the SEC but maybe they would like higher academic standards than some of the other schools in the league. Maybe the research dollars of the Big 10 would be an inticement, which is a larger sum than the athletic revenues we are talking about.

Maryland, Ga Tech and Vandy all would fit, and could probably be had, VA might work too. FL and NC are not even in the realm of thinking about. They ain't going anywhere.

I wouldn't have a problem with, say -

Nebraska
Missouri
Rutgers
Maryland
Ga Tech

All, except Rutgers, have good athletic history, and Rutgers is better than they used to be and would probably elevate some in the B10 with the added income. All are very good research institutions, and all would add sets to the BTN footprint.

Georgia Tech is crazy talk. So is Vandy. If we're not getting Texas, the farthest south we're going is Maryland and Missouri.

Maryland, Ga Tech and Vandy all would fit, and could probably be had, VA might work too. FL and NC are not even in the realm of thinking about. They ain't going anywhere.

I wouldn't have a problem with, say -

Nebraska
Missouri
Rutgers
Maryland
Ga Tech

All, except Rutgers, have good athletic history, and Rutgers is better than they used to be and would probably elevate some in the B10 with the added income. All are very good research institutions, and all would add sets to the BTN footprint.

I like that list.... If ND is still slow playing things I'd be fine with these 5 and letting the Irish fend for themselves.

Georgia Tech is crazy talk. So is Vandy. If we're not getting Texas, the farthest south we're going is Maryland and Missouri.

Not really, the biggest difference between schools is PSU/Maryland which is around 300 miles closer than PSU/GT. Some of the schools, pretty much everything west of Indianapolis, are closer to Atlanta than DC. Most of the schools that are closer to DC aren't much closer, maybe 100-150 mile closer. When talking about flying, it's not that big of a deal.

And Nashville is closer to all of them than Atlanta. Not that I'd take Vandy over GA Tech, but still. They'd both be good fits.

My guess is that anyone who is bringing up GT did not attend the Orange Bowl. Why have another crappy Northwestern like fan base in the Big Ten? One school in Georgia is worth going after and that is the one named after the state.

Why don't you just make the Big Ten
ISU
KSU
OkSt
Miss State
Texas Tech
Northwestern
Vandy
Cincy
Louisville

need I go on?

Money and exposure will dictate conference realignments.

That said, most (or all) of us might be surprised how all of this works out.

My guess is that anyone who is bringing up GT did not attend the Orange Bowl. Why have another crappy Northwestern like fan base in the Big Ten? One school in Georgia is worth going after and that is the one named after the state.

Why don't you just make the Big Ten
ISU
KSU
OkSt
Miss State
Texas Tech
Northwestern
Vandy
Cincy
Louisville

need I go on?

If you really think fan base is the #1 reason for adding a school or not, then I'm not sure how to argue that.

Let me just put it this way. GA Tech and Vandy are both very good schools (research $$$$) in major metro areas (TV sets) in the south (new recruiting areas) that have respectable to very good athletic programs. They both would add a ton to the B10, despite their crappy, small fanbases. I'd expect them to both add more to the B10 than any B12 school, outside of UT and TAMU.

If you can't see the advantages of adding either, then you're just not trying to look at it from anything other than a football perspective. B10 expansion, outside of Notre Dame, will have academics (specifically research) and viability into new areas greatly influencing the decision of who to invite. I'm not saying that Vandy and especially GA Tech will get invites. But to exclude them from the process, and no even looking at the possibility, would be stupid. They would both add a ton.

The other schools you listed have no chance because they don't meet the academic requirements. GA Tech and Vandy both meet those requirements in spdes.

Maryland is as far south as this should go,along with Missouri...unless Texas wants in ,of course. Mental masturbation at this point.

Latest posts