If he's any good??

bassdeer

If the guy is any good.

This years team was pretty young, next year they will all be a year older and stronger and this years freshman will know what goes on in B10 basketball. New recruits will play some quality minutes. Learning a new system will set them back, up tempo though comes more natural, I see 12 to 14 wins next year.

Some fans are openly hopeful, others are at Barta's door with tar and feathers.

Following year 4 more wins. Easy. 16 to 18 wins.
Some more fans become cautiously optimistic, some will predict an undefeated season, others are at Barta's door with pitch forks and torches.

Year 3 is the great unknown. This years sophs are gone and we havent seen the incoming crop play yet. If they are par with what we have then I can see 4 more wins. This puts us at 20 to 22 wins and on the NCAA bubble.
Fans put out torches and hide them claiming they always knew he was great hire.

Year 4 team drops to 18 wins and without a B10 title many fans not only find their torches this time the media jumps on board and gives them matches to light them. Steve Forbes name comes up.

I expect 16-18 wins next year realistically...I believe there IS talent in Iowa City...and let's be honest...If we win the games we should that is 10-12 wins...
4 "tough" Big Ten wins should not be out of the question....Heck we had 10 wins this year!

The one thing Fran has is players. Lick didn't have that when he arrived, they were all YOUNG and no experience. With the guys on the roster being in IC for 3-4 years now and the incoming recruiting class I think closer to 18 wins would be good. One thing we need to remember about Lick is that at least he didn't leave the cupboard bare and if this recruiting class sticks together and produces he does need a slap on the back.

Last edited:
The class that lick inherited: Cole,Kelly and Gary/Peterson, is a solid class..possibly better than the one Fran is inheriting...time will tell.

That said, if this roster is intact and he adds a quick pg, I think this team should win at least 16 games..if not 18. The schedule is easier next year...UNI and ISU at Carver,an easier holiday tourny where we could win two games, and a cupcake schedule that will be set up to succeed. I say we go 11-3 or 10-4 in the non-conference, and then win 5-7 games in the league...we will have 13 guys on scholly for the first time in years so we should be able to handle a bruise or two during the season. The next year, Gatens and fullers senior year, and a re-building year in the league, Iowa needs to make the NCAA tourny, period.

The class that lick inherited: Cole,Kelly and Gary/Peterson, is a solid class..possibly better than the one Fran is inheriting...time will tell.

That said, if this roster is intact and he adds a quick pg, I think this team should win at least 16 games..if not 18. The schedule is easier next year...UNI and ISU at Carver,an easier holiday tourny where we could win two games, and a cupcake schedule that will be set up to succeed. I say we go 11-3 or 10-4 in the non-conference, and then win 5-7 games in the league...we will have 13 guys on scholly for the first time in years so we should be able to handle a bruise or two during the season. The next year, Gatens and fullers senior year, and a re-building year in the league, Iowa needs to make the NCAA tourny, period.

Wow, you think NCAA Tourney in Year 2?

Latest posts