If Fran wasn't our coach...

My daughter and I went early to get our bobblehead tonight.

I was joking that the head needed to bobble side-to-side three times, then come clean off, like rock-em, sock-em robots.

She asked what I meant. I told her to watch the coach and she'd understand.

She did and she did.

If Jess Settles or Chris Street werent Hawks, Iowa fans would have despited them. But we love them because they were

Personally, I love Fran's emotion. Maybe it's because I played for one of the most emotional (on and off the court) coaches in the state of Iowa in high school. The player's feed off it and IMO this program needs a coach like this. However, I can see this getting a little annoying if in 4 years this program is still losing more than winning - nature of the beast.

Can you imagine iowa fans if brands was the coach at ISU? LOL that would be the funniest thing ever.

Fran doesn't cry to the officials after EVERY play like the Wisconsin/MSU coach does.

Fran gets very upset when an obvious call isn't made (or when an obvious bad call IS made)

Again, big difference. He makes his frustration known when he feels a call was horrible. Every coach should do that.

Fran doesn't cry to the officials after EVERY play like the Wisconsin/MSU coach does.

Fran gets very upset when an obvious call isn't made (or when an obvious bad call IS made)

Again, big difference. He makes his frustration known when he feels a call was horrible. Every coach should do that.

This program was so bereft of emotion during the past two regimes it is refreshing to see. And you are correct, what Fran does is just a fraction of what The Vulture and The Izzo get away with. If nothing else, the bench antics should be fun to witness when those two come to town.

Maybe Margaret will even get into it a little bit. Let's hope.

What's wrong with a little Irish temper, Fran is trying make us respectable again, he is a fighter and I love what he brings to the table, I just hope he doesnt have an anuerism during a big ten game because we really have our work cut out for us this season.

I've thought about this issue, too. Like in the ISU game, Christopherson's cockiness would have been lauded had he been on the other team. What he did was no different from what Chris Kingsbury did his whole career at Iowa, and he's a hero.

Similarly, there are Hawk fans that hate the Paul Rhoads famous locker room speech. They would love it if he were on your side.

Just the nature of the beast...

I am loving it. He is the best thing to happen to Hawkeye basketball in almost 12 years.

Maybe Frannie Mac can school Captain Kirk to be less like Spock and more like Scotty.;)

Part of the test for me is whether a coach (or anyone for that matter) also shows strong positive emotions. Does the coach pump up as well as tear down? Fran seems to use the full range of emotions.

I just realized from looking at these photos that Will Ferrell would play Coach Fran perfectly in the biopic of Iowa's 2015 national title team.

I've thought about this issue, too. Like in the ISU game, Christopherson's cockiness would have been lauded had he been on the other team. What he did was no different from what Chris Kingsbury did his whole career at Iowa, and he's a hero.

Similarly, there are Hawk fans that hate the Paul Rhoads famous locker room speech. They would love it if he were on your side.

Just the nature of the beast...

I don't think anyone here hated Rhoads locker room speech. I think people got tired of seeing it....all the time. I thought it was kind of neat; the kind of emotion you would expect to see from a team and coach who never thought they'd win the game.

Rhoads has the occasional outburst on the sidelines, but like Fran, he seems to pick his spots. It's not like he's Pelini or Stoops.

There's the money shot! It's ok when our guy does it because [add stupid double standard here].

I would get more worked up about this, but my coach just got a technical to fire me up for the 300th time this year, and it stopped working.

Maybe, but who cares? Cyclone fans STLL love Eustachy, and some of them were pining to have him back again when McDermott left. I think it's largely because the dude was excitable. I thought it was embarrassing but a lot of people love it if they are "your guy".

And people don't hate Fran yet. They'll hate Fran when he beats them on the court, and that will be the case regardless of his personality.

Latest posts