I will get crucified for this post.

Golfer

Someone had mentioned a melt down was coming. I sure son't want to make that poster wait.

National signing day is closely approaching. Iowa is nowhere to be seen. Again. At best, 5th in the B10 (B12?). Nowhere nationally. And this is one of their better recruiting classes in many years.

One of the largest public institutions in America, with great facilities, a solid budget, 7 home game (8 next year in all actuality) and usually the likes of Indiana, Minnesota and Purdue on the schedule. With at least regional national television for a majority of games, and EVERY game televised for exposure. And ABSOLUTELY no competition from any other program, college or professional, in the entire state for a fan base (and in the real world, for recruiting either).

And we get no recruits. We throw running backs under the bus due to pressure from the U. (Yes, I am basing this on something. No, I'm not getting into details right now). We can only get 7 wins. We have a coach who threw a player under the bus, by his inaction, to protect the 6th highest head coaching salary in American college football.

And the only donors that complain (large donors, by the way), get drowned out by the lifelong farmers in the I Club, which is 100% ineffectual. And we do nothing.

Our AD, and Head Football Coach lets the U get rid of our best running back. His family has said he had no choice. He had wanted to stay at Iowa, but his staying was not possible.

Is this what’s wrong with the mentality of Iowans in general? It’s good enough? And God help you if you have goals for more than this, because those same I Club farmers mentioned above will say “quit complainingâ€, and “your expectations are unrealistic’’.

So am I concerned about the future of Iowa football? I’ll answer this way. I can’t see any improvement for at least 2 years. That should speak loudly about our inability to recruit, keeping assistant coaches, and coaches for that matter, well beyond their time to go (including one who if I mention his name, I'll really get crucified), and almost 100% complacency amongst the fans, who if they ever read this e-mail would reply “You’re not a true fan†and “I sat through 30 losing seasons in a rowâ€. (as if that’s something to be proud of, especially since they made no effort to apply any pressure to get things changed).

And yes I am a donor. And yes, I'm considering becoming a non-donor. And yes, I realize my tickets will be swooped up, and the demand will remain high.

Anyone else as disappointed and concerned by this as I am?

Why don't you just come out and say the coach you won't name is Norm? You're right, you'd get crucified for that.

And you should be.

Why don't you just come out and say the coach you won't name is Norm? You're right, you'd get crucified for that.

And you should be.

We kept Norm too long. And I like Norm. It effected recruiting.

We also kept Hayden too long. that is who I was referring to. I know we had no choice.

I also know now I'll really get crucified for saying this.

I understand some of your post. A lot of it really. I'll say this about Iowa fans, better yet I'll site an example. Sitting in Carver Hawkeye for a big game. It's a fierce game going back and forth against a conference opponent...a ranked conference opponent. You get up to cheer and get loud to try to push the home team, our Hawkeye's, when all the sudden you hear from some of the "elder" fans in the crowd, "Sit down or I'll call security, etc."...Ahhh, what?! It's a damn sporting event! If you want to sit down and watch it, then I suggest you sit in the comfy confines of your own home! That mentality may friend sums up a lot of what you see up in Iowa City.

You make it sounds like it's easy to win 10 football games every year. UM, OSU, PSU, MSU, NE, WI, all expect to win 9-10 games a year. they all have fans, money, good coaches, ect... ISU, PU, NW, ILL are all decent teams that expect to win 6-7 games ever year.

Sheer math says we can't all meet our expectations. Somebody has got to lose these games. We lost a few the last two years. We might lose a few the next few years. It's cyclical, it always has been, it always will be in a competitive conference.

We kept Norm too long. And I like Norm. It effected recruiting.

We also kept Hayden too long. that is who I was referring to. I know we had no choice.

I also know now I'll really get crucified for saying this.

To what degree? I doubt keeping him this long made any significant impact on recruiting, and any detriment in that department was more than compensated for by his prowess as a defensive mind.

I quit taking the OP seriously when I read "One of the largest public institutions in America"...If you think Iowa is one of the largest public schools in the country you're uninformed

Is the point of this just to rant? It's fine if it is, it just doesn't need a response.

If it is more than that, and you're looking for a response - you've shot argument dead by not using reality. For example.

"Iowa is nowhere to be seen (in recruiting rankings) - at best 5th in the B1G" Out of Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State which schools should we consistently out recruit because of the advantages that you mentioned? Would you make that argument with regard to Michigan State, Minnesota and Illinois as well?

"And we get no recruits", again an absolute that is obviously false. As you note it is one of our best recruiting classes in the last several years, and there are 30 some odd hawkeyes in the NFL including another handful likely for this upcoming draft.

"We can only get 7 wins" except last year when we had 8. Or, when we had 11 two years ago. Or 9 the year before that, or the 3 years with 10 plus wins earlier in the decade.

"Is this what's wrong with the mentality of Iowans in general? It's good enough?" If Iowans are lacking in mentality because we don't let two seasons that didn't meet expectations significantly impact us, confirms reason 8,001 I moved back to Iowa.

I can't specifically comment on the inter-workings of the program regarding Coker, but your other comments highlighted above lead me to believe that you are the type that attaches oneself to the extreme negative position regarding this program. These statements could all be true, but the remainder of your post leaves one wanting.

I think there are legitimate reasons for concern, and I don't think many reasonable fans would say that your prediction of similar results the next two years (assuming you mean that 6-8 wins per year) would be far fetched. If it bothers you that you donate money and believe that doing so entitles you to demanding results from your university on how it conducts itself and the football team on the number of qualified recruits and wins, I'd suggest you stop donating immediately. You are bound to be disenfranchised by the return on your investment.

You make it sounds like it's easy to win 10 football games every year. UM, OSU, PSU, MSU, NE, WI, all expect to win 9-10 games a year. they all have fans, money, good coaches, ect... ISU, PU, NW, ILL are all decent teams that expect to win 6-7 games ever year.

Sheer math says we can't all meet our expectations. Somebody has got to lose these games. We lost a few the last two years. We might lose a few the next few years. It's cyclical, it always has been, it always will be in a competitive conference.

I'm pretty sure I didn't mention winning 9 or 10 games anywhere.

To what degree? I doubt keeping him this long made any significant impact on recruiting, and any detriment in that department was more than compensated for by his prowess as a defensive mind.

They did take his recruiting duties away from him. The result on defense is self-evident. In about 2 years.

I shouldn't need to mention this, but I will. I said we kept him too long. I didn't say he wasn't an outstanding d coordinator.

I quit taking the OP seriously when I read "One of the largest public institutions in America"...If you think Iowa is one of the largest public schools in the country you're uninformed

A public school. What I meant was a state school. Do a quick Google search. You'll find you are incorrect.

what is your solution. golfer?

Hang on. I'm taking these one at a time, and your post actually requires some thought on my part before I answer it. Yes, that is a compliment. Doesn't take much on here. Some state their opinions as fact, and facts are nasty little things, so let me address those other posters and their "facts" first.

Latest posts