I want to see a Big regular season championship team

uihawk82

I am nearing 68. I remember reading about the late 1950's hawk championship teams. I listened to Zabel all the time during the great 60's and 1970 team. I stayed up until 1 pm to listen to the hawks upset #1 ucla around 1965 in Chicago. Hated it when Miller left. Lute built some great teams but he had our last Big 10 Championship team in '79.

Do you see what I just typed, it has been almost 40 years since we even tied for a Big 10 regular season title. My. I know it is difficult but as a fan who has contributed like many other fans and who bought tickets for many years I would like to see a regular season Big 10 Basketball title winning team.

Just on averages we should be getting a title team about once every 10 years. Take out a few of the lower level programs and that is the hawks getting a title once every 10 years,

I think it can be done. It should be done. The hawks were a very good program from 1955-1995 or so except for just a few seasons. Five titles in those 40 years and nothing since. that is mediocrity.

I do many more important things like spend time with family but I would like to see one more championship with family and friends.

In light of the tough times around here I’ll pump some sunshine.

2020-2021 B1G Champs:
PG: Joe Toussaint (So.)
G: Tyler Beard (Fr.)
SF: Joe Wieskamp (Jr.)
PF: Xavier Foster (Fr.)
C: Luka Garza (Sr.)
6. Pat McCaffery (So.)
7. Jack Nunge (Jr.)
8. CJ Frederick (So.)

In light of the tough times around here I’ll pump some sunshine.

2020-2021 B1G Champs:
PG: Joe Toussaint (So.)
G: Tyler Beard (Fr.)
SF: Joe Wieskamp (Jr.)
PF: Xavier Foster (Fr.)
C: Luka Garza (Sr.)
6. Pat McCaffery (So.)
7. Jack Nunge (Jr.)
8. CJ Frederick (So.)

Yes we have had and have some really good players but I hope what you are saying comes true.

Alford's 2005-06 team had a shot at it. They were in first place but lost two games to northwestern and Minnesota, who were basically bringing up the rear in the Big Ten that year. Oops.

Fran's 2015-16 team was in first place until the February Fade reared its head.

Not that we haven't had our chances (about once a decade, as you said) but our teams keep dropping the ball, so to speak.

I am nearing 68. I remember reading about the late 1950's hawk championship teams. I listened to Zabel all the time during the great 60's and 1970 team. I stayed up until 1 pm to listen to the hawks upset #1 ucla around 1965 in Chicago. Hated it when Miller left. Lute built some great teams but he had our last Big 10 Championship team in '79.

Do you see what I just typed, it has been almost 40 years since we even tied for a Big 10 regular season title. My. I know it is difficult but as a fan who has contributed like many other fans and who bought tickets for many years I would like to see a regular season Big 10 Basketball title winning team.

Just on averages we should be getting a title team about once every 10 years. Take out a few of the lower level programs and that is the hawks getting a title once every 10 years,

I think it can be done. It should be done. The hawks were a very good program from 1955-1995 or so except for just a few seasons. Five titles in those 40 years and nothing since. that is mediocrity.

I do many more important things like spend time with family but I would like to see one more championship with family and friends.

I'm on the same page you are at age 71, not a lot of time left to see a regular season championship. I stare at the standings and see Purdue all alone in first place and almost a sure bet to at least tie for a regular season championship. I look at Purdue's roster and except for Carson Edwards not an exceptional amount of talent. Matt Painter did a masterful job of coaching Purdue this year. Purdue molded freshmen in with guys like Cline, Eifert and Harms to win a championship. Right now the Iowa program is at the middle tier of the Big Ten after nine years of McCaffery . He did inherit a disaster from Lichliter, but after 9 years you have to ask the hard question " is Fran ever going to be able to break that middle of the pack tier in a positive way? "

Tom Davis was fired after reaching the sweet sixteen, but being unable to win a conference championship. At least Davis had Iowa in the top tier of the Big Ten. After next season we should all know if Iowa needs to go a different direction.

Alford's 2005-06 team had a shot at it. They were in first place but lost two games to northwestern and Minnesota, who were basically bringing up the rear in the Big Ten that year. Oops.

Fran's 2015-16 team was in first place until the February Fade reared its head.

Not that we haven't had our chances (about once a decade, as you said) but our teams keep dropping the ball, so to speak.

Yes I remember both of those years and there was a lot of excitement in the air. I would at least love to have a year again where we are in first place going into the last week.

I'm on the same page you are at age 71, not a lot of time left to see a regular season championship. I stare at the standings and see Purdue all alone in first place and almost a sure bet to at least tie for a regular season championship. I look at Purdue's roster and except for Carson Edwards not an exceptional amount of talent. Matt Painter did a masterful job of coaching Purdue this year. Purdue molded freshmen in with guys like Cline, Eifert and Harms to win a championship. Right now the Iowa program is at the middle tier of the Big Ten after nine years of McCaffery . He did inherit a disaster from Lichliter, but after 9 years you have to ask the hard question " is Fran ever going to be able to break that middle of the pack tier in a positive way? "

Tom Davis was fired after reaching the sweet sixteen, but being unable to win a conference championship. At least Davis had Iowa in the top tier of the Big Ten. After next season we should all know if Iowa needs to go a different direction.

Didn't we want to know that after this season?

Latest posts