I thought coaching was great today - ITS THE TALENT STUPID

BSpringsteen

I thought we had nice game plans on both offense and defense, and I thought GD called a nice game.

I think Phil really excels at making adjustments on the fly.

Bottom line - we have talent on defense. They are young, but they are talented. That shows.

We have no talent on offense outside of the line which played well today.

Literally none. Zip. There isn't one skill position player on our team that would start for a legitimate top 25 team. Not one.

I think we're in trouble next weekend against UNI.

I thought we had nice game plans on both offense and defense, and I thought GD called a nice game.I think Phil really excels at making adjustments on the fly.Bottom line - we have talent on defense. They are young, but they are talented. That shows.We have no talent on offense outside of the line which played well today.Literally none. Zip. There isn't one skill position player on our team that would start for a legitimate top 25 team. Not one.I think we're in trouble next weekend against UNI.

Honestly if the ol and dl plays as well as they did, there should be no reason to think we're in trouble. I agree on skill pos players, but bullock/jvb should be enough against uni. Side note whatever happened to nico law?

I thought we had nice game plans on both offense and defense, and I thought GD called a nice game.

Bottom line - we have talent on defense. They are young, but they are talented. That shows.

Literally none. Zip. There isn't one skill position player on our team that would start for a legitimate top 25 team. Not one.

honest assessment. i agree that our skill players are vastly overmatched. would say on O that we're not playing to our strengths, but don't know what our strengths would be. looks like there's a lot of confusion out there on O. don't know if the new system is just too much to grasp for the young receivers, or if it is just bad play.

Honestly if the ol and dl plays as well as they did, there should be no reason to think we're in trouble. I agree on skill pos players, but bullock/jvb should be enough against uni. Side note whatever happened to nico law?

UNI almost beat Wisky, so there is plenty of reason to worry. now Wisky is down this year, but so are we. so there's that.

While I agree we are in trouble next week, coaching wasn't totally top-notch, either. We should have punted on our second-to-last possession to get better field position. And the play calling on our second FG drive left something to be desired.

Bottom line, JVB needs to be put in the best possible position to succeed. That isn't happening on several levels.

On the bright side, there is, literally, no place to go but up. On the D side, not much "improvement" is needed, just better situational execution. On the O side, drops, some of the blocking and some better play-calling will help. ALL of it is fixable.

Last edited:
How the **** can someone think our OL played well? They did a better job in pass protection but Bullock averaged less 3ypc. Thats just awful.

Agree with post questioning o-line. We may have improved on pass blocking but had zero push in the run game. When we cannot run it in from 3 yards out and the game is on the line that speaks volumes. 68 yards on the ground is an F in my book.

I tend to agree. I think the new Davis Offense relies on some guys who can get quick separation from the defender. I tried to watch our receivers closely at the game, and they really struggled to get any separation at all. I was pretty annoyed with how Jake, er, James, played, but he had some very tight window in which to throw.

Maybe this offense just needs really fast receivers. I dunno.

I'm disturbed by what I saw yesterday and it wasn't because of talent on the Offensive side of the ball. Just not buying that garbage, another nice excuse thread. Iowa's offense is so BLAND and tough to watch. I can only imagine how these players feel. It was mentioned that on the radio broadcast that the Iowa coaches on the sidelines were trying to pump up the players and couldn't..

-lastly-

Don't preach to us that coaching was "GREAT" after a loss, you have got to be kidding me..

I got an idea. How about you sit those players for a quarter or half that are not performing and put players in that want to play, like other coaches do at other schools around the country. It is down right laughable what I'm watching.

Last edited:
When you avg 1 yd/play on 1st down for the majority of the game and yet still run basically the same play I feel you have a right to question the coaching strategy.

First and Goal from the 3 and Davis calls for the goal line package and lets ISU know that we are FOR SURE going to run. Horrible coaching on that series.

If talent is the issue, then the coaches better wake the heck up and start getting the talent thing squared away. It isn't like KF and Iowa isn't a known commidity.

I'm disturbed by what I saw yesterday and it wasn't all because of talent. Just not buying that garbage, another nice excuse thread.

-lastly-

Don't preach to us that coaching was "GREAT" after a loss, you have got to be kidding me..

I think the talent will be getting squared away. Our struggles are somewhat predictable based on a few fairly crappy recruiting years. I believe (and folks can correct me if I'm wrong) that those years were 2008 and 2009. I think 2010,11,12 are likely pretty good.

This is, we're told, KFs youngest team he's ever had. This is, unfortunately, where we are at right now. I think things will improve this year, and improve greatly in the next two years as incoming freshmen, freshmen, and sophomores matriculate through the system. Have faith.

The coaching was not good IMO. Iowa ran 1 counter yesterday and it worked perfectly. The entire ISU defense flowed one way and the hole was huge. Bullock only got 6 yards, but the play was blocked and set up for a bigger gain. ISU did what teams have been doing for years - flow ridiculously hard to the ball and leave the end at home for the bootleg because Iowa literally never runs any counters or reverses to keep the D honest. They could have run that counter trap over and over and over again yesterday, but it's not "zone blocking" so I guess it's not part of the system.

The coaching was not good IMO. Iowa ran 1 counter yesterday and it worked perfectly. The entire ISU defense flowed one way and the hole was huge. Bullock only got 6 yards, but the play was blocked and set up for a bigger gain. ISU did what teams have been doing for years - flow ridiculously hard to the ball and leave the end at home for the bootleg because Iowa literally never runs any counters or reverses to keep the D honest. They could have run that counter trap over and over and over again yesterday, but it's not "zone blocking" so I guess it's not part of the system.

BOOM. Excellent analysis.

Latest posts