I though this was interesting. Iowa #15 in USA for amount of fans nation wide.

franstheman

The Geography of College Football Fans (and Realignment Chaos) - NYTimes.com

We even have more fans nationally than Nebraska. Although I believe this is because our state is 3 times more populated and just as avid about college football. But keep in mind we're also competing with Iowa State. Overall I was surprised to see we're this big of a national brand and the B1G is college football's most cheered for conference.

P.S.

also surprised we have more fans than the likes of Oklahoma, Florida State, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, and USC.

We even have more fans nationally than Nebraska. Although I believe this is because our state is 3 times more populated and just as avid about college football. But keep in mind we're also competing with Iowa State. Overall I was surprised to see we're this big of a national brand and the B1G is college football's most cheered for conference.

P.S.

also surprised we have more fans than the likes of Oklahoma, Florida State, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, and USC.
We are not really competing with the clowns. Their fan base is TINY in the national scene. We compete with Nebraska more than the clowns. You will rarely find a clown fan outside of Iowa. On a trip to the french alpes a few years back I wore my Iowa Cycling Jersey and in the middle of nowhere someone shouted "GO HAWKS". That very same trip I saw a person wearing a tiger hawk shirt in the Frankfurt airport. I did run into a clown when I was subjected to the Branson Mo. experience.

This crap is making it really hard for Kirk to keep the program going.

But hey, we are just little ole Iowa. We can't compete with the big boys. We should just be grateful we can field a competent team and the B1G allows us to play with them.

P.S.

I'm not surprised by that one bit.

We are not really competing with the clowns. Their fan base is TINY in the national scene. We compete with Nebraska more than the clowns. You will rarely find a clown fan outside of Iowa. On a trip to the french alpes a few years back I wore my Iowa Cycling Jersey and in the middle of nowhere someone shouted "GO HAWKS". That very same trip I saw a person wearing a tiger hawk shirt in the Frankfurt airport. I did run into a clown when I was subjected to the Branson Mo. experience.
Not surprising that a hawk fan would make claims with no research and basis behind those claims. At least the delusion is consistent in your very fiber.

I remember talking about this article when it came out. Didn't buy it then and don't now.

I don't buy it either.

The only one I might see is Oklahoma because their population is on par with Iowa and I'm assuming there are more Oklahoma State fans than Iowa State fans. They also have Tulsa which probably isn't very significant.

Tennessee has double Iowa's population. Nobody in that state cares about Vanderbilt, Memphis or Middle Tennessee.

Georgia has triple Iowa's population. Even if they split half the state with Georgia Tech, that's still 1.5 million more than Iowa has. I guarantee that's not the case and that Georgia has more fans than Georgia Tech.

Louisiana has 4.5 million to Iowa's 3 million and while they have UL Monroe, UL Lafayette and La Tech, I'd venture to guess most of their alum are LSU fans for football.

Florida's population is six times the size of Iowa's. Even with Florida, Miami, South Florida, Central Florida and Florida International(did I miss anyone?), you could split the state evenly with all six schools and it's the same as Iowa's population. Obviously USF, UCF and FIU have less fans than Florida, FSU and Miami. And I would say Miami has less fans than Florida and FSU.

Nothing needs to be said about the size of California(LA) and USC. The idea that Iowa has more fans than USC is laughable.

There is obviously more to it than just population because fans relocate. There are Iowa fans in Los Angeles and USC fans in Iowa(although it's not many). I'll just assume for the most part that states trade as many people as they get back. So the population itself stands for the amount of people that are potentially fans. That's another thing you have to account for... not everybody watches sports. I just don't buy that Iowa has more fans than some of the schools they're listed ahead of. Another thing I don't buy is that colleges located in states with professional sports lose fans to pro sports. They might lose fans at the gate but I don't know why being a fan of pro teams would interfere with your ability to be a fan of a college team. I personally have a favorite NCAA team, NFL team, NBA team, MLB team and I also watch UFC. I'm guessing Georgia fans for instance are capable of liking the Bulldogs, Falcons, Braves and Hawks. I don't know why having pro teams would prevent you from being a college fan.

You want moar proof that this guy is just making it up? (besides the fact he admits he's making it up)? Hard as it is to believe he has Iowa 15. He has Minnesota 28.

Nuff freaking said.

I don't know why having pro teams would prevent you from being a college fan.

I know several people who don't like college football. It doesn't have the big game appeal. Especially, Iowa football! There is no thrill to watching the Hawks unless you are already a Hawk fan. There really are no big plays. Face it, Iowa is boring to watch to the average person. Even the average college football fan who is not a Hawk fan doesn't want to watch Hawkeye ball. Us die hards look at it from a different perspective though.

I know several people who don't like college football. It doesn't have the big game appeal. Especially, Iowa football! There is no thrill to watching the Hawks unless you are already a Hawk fan. There really are no big plays. Face it, Iowa is boring to watch to the average person. Even the average college football fan who is not a Hawk fan doesn't want to watch Hawkeye ball. Us die hards look at it from a different perspective though.

I have not watched a non-BoneG game all season, and only two non-Iowa games. College football bores teh hell out of me, and the BoneG being beyong horrible hurts mah interest even moar.

That Georgia Tech is listed well ahead of Georgia automatically negates the poll. Anybody that has any familiarity with the state of Georgia doesn't need a poll to tell him that UGA is by far the big ticket in the state.

Latest posts