I prefer my college football with Defense

ibahawkeye

I can't deny that the Big 10 is definetly down this season but I would much rather watch a Big 10 game than an out of conference game that puts up a basketball score.

I flipped over to the Baylor West Virginia game and watched part of the Tenn @ Georgia game. Baylor put up 63 and Tennesse put up 44 and both lost!!!

Everytime I flipped over there was a WR wide open running free down field and I just don't understand how this can happen. Are these offenses THAT tatented or are the Defenses just THAT bad?

Good defense is the the best football to watch. There's nothing more frustrating than watching your team not be able to stop anyone. I'd rather lose a game like we did vs Iowa State than a shootout.

We will see at Bowl time, but without OSU...one B10 team is going to be playing Georgia or Florida. That's not going to be a good day. They may still score 50, but the B10 team will not be putting up 44. Sorry, there is a huge athlete deficit in the big 10 right now to the top SEC teams. I'm not even going to say speed...it's size and speed.

We will see at Bowl time, but without OSU...one B10 team is going to be playing Georgia or Florida. That's not going to be a good day. They may still score 50, but the B10 team will not be putting up 44. Sorry, there is a huge athlete deficit in the big 10 right now to the top SEC teams. I'm not even going to say speed...it's size and speed.

What does that have to do with anything?

While i don't want to watch 70-63, I also don't want to see 9-6.
A balance between the two would be nice.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I looked up the stats of 6 games from last weekend, WVU/BU, TX/OKSt, ISU/TTU, IA/MN, OSU/MSU, and NE/WI. The number of plays executed in Big 12 games outnumbered the Big 10 on average 19. I figured it with kicking and field goals included and then just using passing and rushing attempts. The WVU/BU game had 180 plays consisting of rushes and passes. The Iowa/Minnesota game total was 121, which was the fewest of six games. The ISU/TTU game had 135 and was the lowest scoring and lowest number of plays of the Big 12 games.

When you add the punting, kickoff plays, and field goal attempts the WVU/BU game had 206 plays compared to IA/MN with 141 and ISU/TTU with 145. Only the NE/WI game came close to a Big 12 game in the number of plays, it was third.

My thought is that clock management by the offense has more to do with the high scores in the Big 12 than the total lack of defense. The ISU/TTU scoring was far less than its counterparts, but so were the number of plays. Your offense can help your defense by maximizing the use of the play clock. Running plays, where the offensive player remains in bounds, can add up to almost 90 seconds of game time; 44 before the snap, 5 for the play and another 44 before the next snap. Conversely teams that pass a lot stop the clock on in-completions, which increases dead time.

While some like high scoring games and some do not it may not always be a function of poor defense.

Out of curiosity I looked up the stats of 6 games from last weekend, WVU/BU, TX/OKSt, ISU/TTU, IA/MN, OSU/MSU, and NE/WI. The number of plays executed in Big 12 games outnumbered the Big 10 on average 19. I figured it with kicking and field goals included and then just using passing and rushing attempts. The WVU/BU game had 180 plays consisting of rushes and passes. The Iowa/Minnesota game total was 121, which was the fewest of six games. The ISU/TTU game had 135 and was the lowest scoring and lowest number of plays of the Big 12 games.

When you add the punting, kickoff plays, and field goal attempts the WVU/BU game had 206 plays compared to IA/MN with 141 and ISU/TTU with 145. Only the NE/WI game came close to a Big 12 game in the number of plays, it was third.

My thought is that clock management by the offense has more to do with the high scores in the Big 12 than the total lack of defense. The ISU/TTU scoring was far less than its counterparts, but so were the number of plays. Your offense can help your defense by maximizing the use of the play clock. Running plays, where the offensive player remains in bounds, can add up to almost 90 seconds of game time; 44 before the snap, 5 for the play and another 44 before the next snap. Conversely teams that pass a lot stop the clock on in-completions, which increases dead time.

While some like high scoring games and some do not it may not always be a function of poor defense.

I get what you're saying and you touched on it but I'd be interested in the actual stats of rushing to passing plays and how much of a differnce there is and that it has on the clock that allows more plays.

However, I can also tell you by the eye test that when I flipped over to the WVU Baylor game I saw time after time the WVU receiver flying by the 2 Baylor Defenders. How can a safety let that happen over and over again? Or is part of their strategy to play aggressive in hopes for tunrovers and worse case, you're offense can match them in putting up points? Is that the strategy?

Last years Rose bowl was one of those types of games. Rarely any defense at all. Just Wiscy and Oregon going up and down the field on each other until one of them blinked. Blah.

Latest posts