I Need A Name...

Fryowa

Administrator
Some of you guys I've talked to about starting another board in case this one goes down the drain. I really like the HN board and the people posting (even if it's not mutual in some cases). My thought is that Rob getting relieved of his duties effective immediately, with no replacement announced, no announcement from the owners, basically is a sign that the HN forums are going to all of a sudden not be here anymore sometime soon. I hope that's not the case. HNWasteland has been suggested as an alternative for people here, and while I find that site's threads hilarious, it's pretty much a shitposting site about current events and not much Hawkeye content.

As long as this board continues I'll stick around, but if it closes and all of a sudden nobody here gets to converse anymore, it'll suck. Either way, I've got another one set up on Proboards ready to go. Right now I have five forums set up and obviously can add more. Currently there's

FB

MBB

Other Hawkeye Sports (these can delve out with individual forums if there's interest)

OT Moderated (no politics, COVID, or religion)

OT Semi-unmoderated (anything goes as long as it isn't hate speech, threats, etc.)

That way everyone has a place they can either avoid or participate in controversial discussion if they so choose.

Here's my thinking behind this just to clarify...

This board would not be a media information source (like HN or Rivals, etc.), and it would not be to try and make money. I would however like it to be a place where folks would freely link to current Hawkeye media, both for the board's information, as well as discussion topic/content. For example, I think it'd be good if Rob would drop in and post links to his newer, non-HN content such as pods, stories, etc. Since he'll be covering recruiting we could have a forum for that and a place to link those stories. The nice thing about the format would be that it's not beholden to any owners other than us or any parent companies.

Basically what I'd like to see is the current group of posters have a venue (if needed) to continue to engage with the same people we do now, continue having game threads, etc. Obviously new members would be great, but without media and promotion that's going to be a pretty tough row to hoe. In other words the goal would be to mirror and absorb as many current HN members as possible.

My questions....

The name?

I suck at stuff like that and I need suggestions. HawkHaven? HawkeyeStation (an homage to HawkeyeNation)? Let's hear 'em.

Volunteers to mod?

I'm willing to run it but if there are other folks who would like to help I'm all ears. Some of you have already said you're game, and that's great. I've moderated message boards in the past and it'd be nice to have at least three mods to help out. HN is relatively tame as message boards go, but it'd be good to have quick response for people if there's shitposting in the wrong forums, topics need moved, stickied, new forum requests, etc. There's obviously low traffic here right now, but I have to believe that it will pick up quite a bit come October 24.

Again, I'll continue on at HN until it goes down the shitter, but frankly I don't see it lasting current state for very long unless they announce new publishers and site Admin. If there isn't money to pay Rob to run it, there isn't likely money to continue to maintain it. I highly doubt JDM is gonna pick back up where he left off. That makes now a good time to jump off and at least create accounts on another board in case this one goes 404, because then at least we could stay in contact..keep the band together, so to speak. And there's nothing preventing anyone from posting both places if they want.

Anywhoo...tell me your thoughts and give me some names so I can flip the switch.

I'm 100% with you on keeping this group together. I like the discussion and the personalities here, its why I visit the site. If something happens to these boards them I'd love nothing more than to stay in contact with you all even if that's through another site. Count me in Fry, not sure about the moderator part, but definitely staying part of this big dysfunctional family.

Latest posts