I have no read on the Insight Bowl

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I usually feel decent about reads before games...doesnt mean I am always right of course...but I am having a hard time finding any sort of read on this game...both teams are missing a lot of players...both fanbases are pretty down in the dumps right now...

Given Iowa's track record in bowls, I will be shocked if the Hawks got blown out of the water.

Agreed.

The overall vibe this week is not fun given the mood of both teams/fan bases. Neither want to be there. When fart jokes are making news, things have gone a little awry.

My guess is Iowa wins. I don't think OU shows up AT ALL. However, if the complete opposite happened and Iowa got blown by 50, I also would not be shocked. Its kind of like being an ISU fan.

Maybe I've lost my mind, IDK, but I predict UI 35 OU 24. I just think Iowa will be more ready to play and want it more. I get the feeling from everything I've read that OU is flat.

Maybe I've lost my mind, IDK, but I predict UI 35 OU 24. I just think Iowa will be more ready to play and want it more. I get the feeling from everything I've read that OU is flat.

Ever since Orange Bowl I, KF has shown he can get his team ready to play in a bowl game. I think this season will be no exception. Comments reserved on the same readiness for each regular season game.

Easy predicition: Oklahoma players and fans do not want to play in the Insight bowl PERIOD. Iowa coaches have a proven track record in getting their teams ready for bowl games. Even with the RB situation I think Iowa wins this one easily, 34-17. The defense plays lights out for Norm.

About the only read I can get is that I think Oklahoma's losses are greater than Iowa's. I like what Coker did this year and he was an asset but I think Iowa has good young players at the running back position that can fill in. I do not think the key to winning this game is the running game, I think we need to win the turnover battle and a huge game from Vandy.

Idk I think our fanbase is as apathetic about this game as Oklahoma's. Look on the forum almost no threads in the last month talking about the game and hell not even a look a like thread posted yet.

I usually feel decent about reads before games...doesnt mean I am always right of course...but I am having a hard time finding any sort of read on this game...both teams are missing a lot of players...both fanbases are pretty down in the dumps right now...

Given Iowa's track record in bowls, I will be shocked if the Hawks got blown out of the water.

Well, my 6th grade daughter is busy packing her new black and gold Christmas overalls and tiger hawk eye black stickers, UI student daughter packing a heavy bag since there are no weight restrictions for first class flights, and my UI alum wife has a couple of nice places to eat lined up and is helping the girls pack, and me a UI alumnus is having fun watching the flurry of activity and looking forward to 74 degree weather and watching my favorite team.

Oh, and we expect a good game , good time, and nice break from the Midwest....so there

I just feel like our defense will play inspired...No way we get blown out...may not win...but I don't see us getting blown out.

There has really been a good post about this game yet.

Iowa will need to pass the ball well as OU better against the run even though I think they lost a good d-lineman or linebacker.

OU a better passing team with their two best rbs out and even though two top receivers out. But does Landry Jones get into the game or not.

If Jones and the offense want to pass the ball Iowa wont be able to stop it.

I want the hawks to cruise but I see iowa struggle some on offense and OU put up some points. OU 31 Iowa 14.

Can't get a read either. Season just started weird with Coker putting the ball on the ground twice and then McCall looking strong and then going down with that ugly injury.

With Coker, Iowa had a chance to win...assuming Oklahoma was as "down" and "uncaring" about the game as people seem to think (I don't believe this myself...I think Oklahoma will play hard).

Without Coker, the Hawks are in trouble. Even a lackluster Oklahoma team...missing key players...should still win on talent alone.

The Hawks will need to play lights out...but as someone already pointed out...they don't seem too pumped up.

Agreed. This game is up for grabs because neither team has an emotional edge. If I were KF I would want to shut-up all the people who say Stoops was the better option in 99. But I'm not sure KF doesn't agree with that notion. Then again I wonder how much of his desire to match Stoops' contract is an attempt to say, "I'm the coaching equivalent of Stoops".

Oklahoma lost to a really bad TT team this year, so we've seen how bad they can be. However, they looked unbelievable against Texas. I'm hoping we see the TT version.

Missing players certainly isn't as big a deal to OU as it is for a program like Iowa. Also, in case you missed it, our defense is pretty shaky and Vandy has been very underwhelming against average and above defenses. I hate to say it, but this one won't be close. Iowa 13 OU 28.

Last edited:

Latest posts