Hypothetical College Football Shakeup

DP5555

This time of year sucks and I'm super bored at work today. All of this expansion and realignment talk has got me thinking crazy things.

I've always thought the way the English football (soccer) system includes promotions and relegation in a hierarchical format in their league play is awesome. It's a format that gives hope to teams who may otherwise have zero chance at playing ball at an elite level. If you and your club want to play with the big boys then you need to earn it and prove that you belong with the big boys. The system allows even the smallest club the theoretical chance of rising to the top of the system.

For those of you who don't know how the English football system works... let me break it down for you. Basically the Premier League has a bunch of different levels. It gets pretty complicated as you progress down the chain of levels, but basically there are a bunch of different levels (5 main ones and many after that). Level 1 (the Premier League) has 20 teams. Level 2 (Sky Bet Championship) has 24.... and so on and so forth. After each season the bottom 3 teams from the Premier League are relegated to play and compete in Level 2 for the next season, and the top 3 teams from Level 2 are promoted to play and compete in the Premier League. The same for levels 2 and 3, 3 and 4, 4 and 5, and on and on and on.

Point being that smaller, lesser known clubs have an opportunity to earn their way into the big leagues through performance. My though is this... If the Power 5 conferences in college football were to ever abandon the NCAA and create their own power conference format wouldn't it be pretty neat of them to build it into a system like this? That way it wouldn't completely screw over the teams who aren't invited in.

Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to watch ISU get stuck on the outside looking in. That's what they deserve. That's the beauty of this format. You can't bitch about your place or your league. Your performance, or lack thereof, dictates where you're playing and who you are playing against. You are what your record says you are. You can't be delusional in this format. It's the ultimate format for competition. You want to play with the big boys then prove you're capable of doing so consistently. Earn it. Otherwise step aside and let you competitors do that for you. The same goes for the bottom 3 teams who get relegated. If you want back in then you need to earn it. No bitching. No excuses. Just play.

More importantly this would allow smaller football leagues to stay alive. It would give them hope. It would give their fans something to root for. It would give their players something to play for, and their coach's something to coach for.

Maybe each major conference could have two levels. One would be the current teams. The other would be new teams. Then, after the first season, the bottom current teams would get relegated. It is about the only way that a non-P5 team could get significant status.

Maybe each major conference could have two levels. One would be the current teams. The other would be new teams. Then, after the first season, the bottom current teams would get relegated. It is about the only way that a non-P5 team could get significant status.

Could do that too. Any system like this is intriguing to me. Reward the teams who take care of business and punish those who don't.