Hypothetical Coaching Situation

smbhawk

As the thread title says this is purly hypothetical and for fun discussion. With all of the BJ Armstrong chatter, and Jon saying that we should not totally dimiss BJ, it got me thinking. BJ does have a strong basketball background. I am assuming that he could recruit, but that would need to be proven. Since he has no coaching experience he would need to surround himself with good assistants. One of which would have to be a strong X and O guy.

So BJ Armstrong gets the head coaching job and hires his old coach Mr. Davis to be his lead assistant. He then goes out and gets someone like Kenyon Murray as an assistant. Kenyon has coaching experience and I believe he could recruit. Mr. Davis helps BJ with the X's and O's and in game adjustments fo a few years.

Obviously this will not happen as I don't think Barta can afford to not have it work out. I just thought it would make for fun discussion as we try to pass the time until we get our man, whomever that may be. OK blast away.

In the recruiting game today, you need guys with AAU connections. Murray and Mr. Davis would be disasters in that respect. Also, Mr. Davis is 70. Let the guy retire already.

BJ with an established assistant like Forbes and a young AA coach would be more like it.

Don't see it happening though. If BJ wants to coach, he needs to get in the game as an assistant and work up the ladder.

Is there any possible way for the OP to change the thread title before HawkKCP posts another, 'Did someone say the Sit..."? ;)

If Iowa can't lock up a coach that I would classified as proven. ie, Pearl, Dixon, Wright or Stallings to name a few. If it's down to a Barbee, Forbes, Keno or Pastner I would much rather have Iowa take a shot at BJ.

Just my .02.

Latest posts