Howe: Sports Fans Lose Their Escape But Student-Athletes Deprived of Dreams

I saw they're doing that for the spring athletes with more details to follow. There needs to be no restrictions. And I think they should do something for the winter athletes whose championships were canceled.

I’m not saying I disagree but what a mess. Can extended athletes enter the transfer portal? Do incoming freshmen have the option of voiding LOI...thought they would play right away? Can schools not renew scholarships for some and extend others?

As Kevin Warren said yesterday, you make decisions based on what's best for the student-athletes.

I’m not saying I disagree but what a mess. Can extended athletes enter the transfer portal? Do incoming freshmen have the option of voiding LOI...thought they would play right away? Can schools not renew scholarships for some and extend others?

It would be a mess on several levels you mentioned. IMO it would easier for men's & women's basketball, & wrestling to have their championship tournaments this summer. There are so many options there (understanding some athletes may chose to move on, not participate, etc) but if the NCAA is open-minded about it, those tournaments could have happened at campus sites, or other open venues.

It's going to be really interesting to see how the NCAA handles all of this. There's a tremendous domino effect here, and all of the nuances of relief would have to be considered - and there are many.

When it's all said and done and all the inequities are added up, I would expect lawsuits to ensue both from individuals and the universities/colleges.

Last edited:
Life isn't about fair. What about incoming and underclassman athletes denied their opportunity lost when others are granted eligibility.

Life is changing for all.

Latest posts