Howe: Rankings B1G Teams for '19-20 After NBA Draft Deadline

Nice. I was literally just thinking about this after the departures.

6-11 is an absolute crapshoot IMO.

I could see Iowa as high as probably 6 and as low as probably 10.

The question will be how many bids the B1G gets. Chances are it won’t be like last year, but it all depends on the other conferences I suppose.

I not thrilled with how these rankings came out after the Top 2 but that's why it's a first draft at the end of May. :D

IMO, just a lot of teams that are hard to peg right now.

I think Nunge and Fredrick are going to be a lot better than people think. I doubt Nunge is as good as an athlete as Cook, but he is a good athlete that is probably four inches taller and probably a few pounds heavier. Nunge and Fredrick didn't get all the accolades they got in high school for nothing. The point guard from New York and the point guard graduate transfer should be very good if they are healthy. It might take Toussaint a few games to feel comfortable, but he will get a lot of reps in Practice this summer. I'm not sure who he will have to play against him in practice though.

I think Nunge and Fredrick are going to be a lot better than people think. I doubt Nunge is as good as an athlete as Cook, but he is a good athlete that is probably four inches taller and probably a few pounds heavier. Nunge and Fredrick didn't get all the accolades they got in high school for nothing. The point guard from New York and the point guard graduate transfer should be very good if they are healthy. It might take Toussaint a few games to feel comfortable, but he will get a lot of reps in Practice this summer. I'm not sure who he will have to play against him in practice though.

I agree that the guard play and Nunge’s play will be absolutely critical to Iowa’s success. If they underwhelm then it could get very ugly with Bo out. Very ugly indeed.

I could see as high as sixth or seventh if the new guards pan out and Nunge explodes onto the scene. Remember Nunge brings a dimension that Cook NEVER did, and that is that he can shoot the ball from anywhere on court. I also suspect he can play better defense around the rim. Those two aspects can be huge and contagious. Let’s hope for the best.

All those unknowns simultaneously being good would be pretty sweet, seems like quite the stretch at this point.

After a careful, thorough, statistically based analysis of Iowa bb in 2019-2020, I have no idea how good we will be.

After a careful, thorough, statistically based analysis of Iowa bb in 2019-2020, I have no idea how good we will be.
Agree. Having 3 RS players makes it virtually impossible to predict. They’ve been in the program. Their bodies have matured. But how good are they?

All those unknowns simultaneously being good would be pretty sweet, seems like quite the stretch at this point.

Way too many unknowns for them all to end up good. Could CJ be a better all around player than Moss? I'd say 50/50. Can Nunge be an all around better player than Cook? I'd say 30/70. Can Joe T have a freshman year like Gesell? I'd say 40/60. Can Patrick have a freshman year like White? I'd say 20/80. Can Wieskamp and Garza be at least 2nd team conference players? I'd say 80/20. Can Connor improve his all around game at least a bit everywhere, and shoot at least 30% from 3? I'd say 70/30. Can Bohannon make it back from next year? I'd say 50/50. We probably need at least half of those to happen to be equal to last year. If more than half happen, we can be better. If less than half happen, we will probably be worse.

Last edited:
I think we will be a lot better than last year. Hopefully, the grad transfer will be healthy this year and pick Iowa. Garza is going to be a lot better after a year of recovery. They are going to be deep in the front court. They could use the point guard transfer. I just think they will be a lot harder to guard next year, and better offensively.

I think we will be a lot better than last year. Hopefully, the grad transfer will be healthy this year and pick Iowa. Garza is going to be a lot better after a year of recovery. They are going to be deep in the front court. They could use the point guard transfer. I just think they will be a lot harder to guard next year, and better offensively.
So we are going to be better offensively next year without Cook, Bohannon, Moss, and Baer?

This is because we might land a grad transfer PG who put up pourous stats at the mid major level? Oh right but it’s because he was hurt and we expect him to be 100% for us.

Seems reasonable.

PC: You did not list Pemsl. We have seen what he is. He will not back down from anyone and we all know the Hawks need someone like this. I believe he is a leader and will help the team immensely when he is on the court.

PC: You did not list Pemsl. We have seen what he is. He will not back down from anyone and we all know the Hawks need someone like this. I believe he is a leader and will help the team immensely when he is on the court.

So what do you think? We need him to be equal to Baer? 50/50?

Totally different players. They have totally different skill sets. Baer was a great Hawk, no denying that! Pemsl does the dirty work inside and brings an attitude sorely needed.

Not being a smart ass, just asking what you see as "a lot better than last year."

Iowa finished 10-10 in the league, good for sixth place among 14 teams. It reached the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament, losing in overtime.

This year is going to be a step (maybe 2) back....there's no way to sugar coat it.

1. We lost the most explosive player the program has had in at least the last 30 years. Granted, he had his flaws (defense, rebounding at times)....but there's no denying his presence on the court made the team better.

2. We will probably lose the best outside shooting threat in recent program history for a year as well as our best option at point guard.

3. And we lost our best scoring option, albeit wildly inconsistent (think Vinny "the Microwave"), in Moss.

And to replace those players, we're counting on 2 redshirt freshmen (Nunge and Frederick), 2 true freshmen (JT & PM), an undersized 4 coming off his 38th leg surgery (Pemsl), a 20% 3 point shooter (CM) and possibly an average, at best, grad transfer from a mid major?

This year has "2012 Football Season" written all over it......

This year is going to be a step (maybe 2) back....there's no way to sugar coat it.

1. We lost the most explosive player the program has had in at least the last 30 years. Granted, he had his flaws (defense, rebounding at times)....but there's no denying his presence on the court made the team better.

2. We will probably lose the best outside shooting threat in recent program history for a year as well as our best option at point guard.

3. And we lost our best scoring option, albeit wildly inconsistent (think Vinny "the Microwave"), in Moss.

And to replace those players, we're counting on 2 redshirt freshmen (Nunge and Frederick), 2 true freshmen (JT & PM), an undersized 4 coming off his 38th leg surgery (Pemsl), a 20% 3 point shooter (CM) and possibly an average, at best, grad transfer from a mid major?

This year has "2012 Football Season" written all over it......
We could take a step back. But stating it as a fact is just being negative with no basis in fact. We know what we lost. We don’t know how good the new guys will be.

JW made the returning team better. Garza did the same the year before. So it’s not a stretch to think a freshman will make us better this year. Throw in the RS players and a transfer and it’s a guessing game.

We could take a step back. But stating it as a fact is just being negative with no basis in fact. We know what we lost. We don’t know how good the new guys will be.

JW made the returning team better. Garza did the same the year before. So it’s not a stretch to think a freshman will make us better this year. Throw in the RS players and a transfer and it’s a guessing game.
There are certainly more facts to support next year being a step backwards, than there are next year being a step forward.

There are certainly more facts to support next year being a step backwards, than there are next year being a step forward.

That's because there are zero facts to say we will be better, which is the case every single year for every team. But there are too many possibilities for next year to say as a fact we will be worse.

If you had to bet real money and it was a significant amount you as it relates to your financial situation, would you bet that Iowa would be better than 10-10 in the league, finish higher than sixth in the B1G and reach at least the Sweet 16 this coming season?

I'm not making a statement on which way I would bet. I'm asking which way you would bet.