Howe: Hawkeye Monday Musings of May

Good to hear there wasn't some sort of heated falling out. Sounds like was just ready to move on to a new place to see if that would position him better for a professional career. I'm not sure what exactly he's looking for that Fran and the Iowa program hasn't tried to help him with already but I hope he finds a good spot to enjoy his final year of college.

Moss’ dad doesn’t give specific details on why Moss is transferring. But he does eliminate some of the speculation. I’m glad we won’t have to cheer against him...guaranteed head to head with Iowa.

Moss's dad is trying hard to help him leave well. Hard to not like someone who is saying those sorts of things on the way out, even if his departure is still a bit confusing.

The Mosses are good people. Isaiah is well liked by teammates and his parents are close with the other families.

Moss probably read the same writing on the wall that Wagner and Ellenson did, and that Uhl should have. Basabe's role declined as his senior year went on supposedly due to some mysterious lingering illness that was never explained. Lickliter holdovers like Andrew Brommer and Devon Archie saw limited action their senior years (for good reasons).

Coaches today are willing to move on from seniors, which is a change from how programs used to be run. Mr. Davis was a good example of showcasing the seniors.. It's a two way street. If underclassmen can declare early then coaches can certainly reduce the roles of the ones who stay.

If you start with the reasonable assumption that neither Fran or the Moss family are ‘nefarious’ characters, then this starts to get clearer. Fran says Moss left to be more of a featured player. It follows that JW, JB, Garza will be more featured than Moss would have been last year. Moss is not going to another B1G or instate school because of Iowa loyalty, according to his dad. So it follows that they’re not bitter over the plans for Isaiah not being ‘featured’ as a senior. He just needed to put himself in a ‘featured’ position as a senior to have his best chance to be a pro, at least in their minds. All this seems reasonable given the characters and initial assumption of non-nefarious characters.

I guess I still question the timing- given the D.J. Harvey visit right when Moss announced his transfer. But not sure when spring interviews would have been with the players and then family discussion afterwards.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Will he be projected as a ‘featured’ player there? I’m going to say that probably means the new team sees him as a top 2-3 scorer? If that’s the case, then the stories appear to all hold true.