Howe: Hawkeye Football All-Decade Team

Talk about an embarrassment of riches at tight end. George Kittle doesn't make 1st or 2nd team. (no explanation needed, he's obviously blown up in the NFL)

Very good picks and quite an array of talent. I think Stanzi is the more consistent qb than Stanley, more touch dropping in the lob type 20 to 30 yard passes, better on the long ball and more accurate overall. He did has his pick problems in 2009. Stanzi the much better runner and waggle/bootleg qb. Nate improved a lot and Stanzi in this decade had the unfortunate team drop off/collapse in 2010 so for the whole decade Nate should be over Ricky.

Pretty tough list to argue a lot with. I would put Brandon Smith over T Smith. He is one of the few Iowa WRs since McNutt who DCs actually have to worry about. His size and athletic ability are uncommon for Iowa.

Looks great, my only disagreement is James Morris, slow, and out of position most of his sophomore and junior year. I know this will ruffle some feathers, he was ok, just ok his senior year.

Looks great, my only disagreement is James Morris, slow, and out of position most of his sophomore and junior year. I know this will ruffle some feathers, he was ok, just ok his senior year.
Agree with this, as I was not a fan of Morris, but I got to looking and there were really only 2 MLB's in the decade that played more than one year. Alston, Hockaday and Welch (maybe others) couldn't be on this list.

Very fun article to read and I love looking at the lists. I may shuffle a couple of things around, but no big beefs with where you had guys .

2 names that I would've liked to have seen on the list. Macon Plewa is the best blocking FB I've seen at Iowa and Ron Coluzzi at punter. Don't disagree with the names on the list, but these guys were favorites of mine.

Echo the Weisman sentiment. The fact that he's the right choice here speaks volumes. Canzieri was a much better back in limited time.
Jaleel Johnson was dramatically underrated as an underclassman and is first team for me here in front of Daniels and Davis.
Stanzi over Nate for me. I get the debates.
Surprising lack of LB depth. Morris was really painful to watch at times.
The DBs. OMG. Best kept secret in the Midwest is that Iowa is CBU.

I might argue that James Daniels should be ahead of Austin Blythe. It sure is fun to look back though!

Coluzzi would get the nod for me. He was a life-saver that year.

Karl Klug was better than Davis at DT, but I agree with the argument about not having much of his career after 2010, same as Stanzi. Jaleel and Davis both had outstanding senior years, but not so much prior to that.

Echo the Weisman sentiment. The fact that he's the right choice here speaks volumes. Canzieri was a much better back in limited time.
Jaleel Johnson was dramatically underrated as an underclassman and is first team for me here in front of Daniels and Davis.
Stanzi over Nate for me. I get the debates.
Surprising lack of LB depth. Morris was really painful to watch at times.
The DBs. OMG. Best kept secret in the Midwest is that Iowa is CBU.

Yeah I wouldn't take Weisman as my second RB, I'd probably take Canzeri or Daniels. But there will be differences when you are filling out a two deep for a decade.

Morris was a classic KFz union card guy. Don't misunderstand...great kid, busted his butt for the Hawks. But not a 1st or 2nd teamer.

Morris was a classic KFz union card guy. Don't misunderstand...great kid, busted his butt for the Hawks. But not a 1st or 2nd teamer.

Probably not. But there hasn't been a lot of MLBs in this decade. Morris and Jewell cover 7 of those seasons. Personally I'd go with Welch over him.

Latest posts