How will being in looser SEC affect Missou and TxAMU rankings and recruiting???

uihawk82

I see Missou and Texas A&M as somewhat like Iowa in that their FB power rankings are cyclic and they can have a real good season or two then drop down somewhat.

But now that Missou and TxAMU are in the SEC I think the so called oversigning and looser recruiting rules will help both these teams take a step up in their ability to be continually top level in talent and wins.

They can now tell even so called "leftover" recruits who are above avg that they can play in the SEC, under the lights, in top draw games. ANd they might get a few more higher ranked recruits than they used to.

If the SEC has a built in advantage, and if that advantage in recruiting, etc means more wins, then Missou and TxAMU will be on a high over the next 10 years at least!!!!!

How do you think this will play out and affect them?

There is no oversigning in the SEC anymore, didn't you get the memo that they can only sign 25 kids per year? That said, early enrollees do not count toward that number.

Moving to the SEC was the best move for A&M as much as I hate it, but for Mizzou the move is not going to pay big dividends for them, you will see once they hit the beefier part of their schedule. Georgia is one of the most overrated teams year in and year out, but they play in the SEC and are awesome :rolleyes:.

A&M is out of Texas' shadow and now are recruiting more nationally, but still getting some studs in-state as they started too under Sherman and continuing under Sumlin. Mizzou, well, where are they going to recruit?

If that "built-in advantage" in recruiting is what you say it is, why are there still teams in the SEC that aren't good? I guess I am having a difficult time understanding what you mean by the "built-in advantage" if it is oversigning, look at what the SEC says they are doing to control that. I will say that I don't know how they police it either.

A&M has been a sleeping giant for a long time, Mizzou is a school that was best served to say in the sucky 12.

There is no oversigning in the SEC anymore, didn't you get the memo that they can only sign 25 kids per year?

If that "built-in advantage" in recruiting is what you say it is, why are there still teams in the SEC that aren't good?

My post is a question. I dont know the answer but if you are really believing the SEC isnt still oversigning then I got a football stadium to sell you.

It is not just oversigning but maybe it is a self-fulfilling prophecy that playing in the SEC will make you better in the long run. And the bottom feeders in the SEC are better than bottom teams in other BCS conferenceces.

There is no oversigning in the SEC anymore, didn't you get the memo that they can only sign 25 kids per year? That said, early enrollees do not count toward that number.

Moving to the SEC was the best move for A&M as much as I hate it, but for Mizzou the move is not going to pay big dividends for them, you will see once they hit the beefier part of their schedule. Georgia is one of the most overrated teams year in and year out, but they play in the SEC and are awesome :rolleyes:.

A&M is out of Texas' shadow and now are recruiting more nationally, but still getting some studs in-state as they started too under Sherman and continuing under Sumlin. Mizzou, well, where are they going to recruit?

If that "built-in advantage" in recruiting is what you say it is, why are there still teams in the SEC that aren't good? I guess I am having a difficult time understanding what you mean by the "built-in advantage" if it is oversigning, look at what the SEC says they are doing to control that. I will say that I don't know how they police it either.

A&M has been a sleeping giant for a long time, Mizzou is a school that was best served to say in the sucky 12.

I don't know how closely you've been following Georgia. At one point they were one of the best teams in the country, then they lost their top two running backs and a plethora of other key players to bad injuries. Obviously they're not as good now as they were before the injuries.(Also Mizzou may be legit, who knows, time will tell on that one)

Also I don't really get the sleeping giant notion. ATM never finished in the top 25 between 1999 and 2010. Mizzou was ranked #1 when they lost the 2007 XII Championship.

A&M has consistently held a top 10-20 recruiting class each year over the past decade. Currently hold the 11th ranked class. The difference is they finally have a coach who knows how to use the talent. I fully expect the Aggies to be a top 5 team in the SEC year after year.

I don't know how closely you've been following Georgia. At one point they were one of the best teams in the country, then they lost their top two running backs and a plethora of other key players to bad injuries. Obviously they're not as good now as they were before the injuries.(Also Mizzou may be legit, who knows, time will tell on that one)

Also I don't really get the sleeping giant notion. ATM never finished in the top 25 between 1999 and 2010. Mizzou was ranked #1 when they lost the 2007 XII Championship.

Mizzou was in the sucky 12, not the SEC in that period. A&M hasn't had a coach who had a clue until they got Sherman who actually knew how to recruit. How many NC's does Mizzou have and Hypesman winners? How did Mizzou do in the SEC last season, pretty stellar. Without Franklin, they will be in serious trouble.

The sleeping giant notion is that the decade prior to 1999, A&M had the most wins in college football before they moved to the sucky 12 and kept R.C. Slocum far, far too long. A&M got out recruited by Mack Brown when he came over from North Carolina, that whole breath of fresh air kind of thing. It worked out for them, the Sumlin hire is going to have a similar effect at A&M, will they win a NC, can't tell you.

As far as Georgia goes, I am a Texas A&M fan, so I follow all the SEC teams. This is the same old story for Georgia, they cray about injuries every year...feel sorry for Marky Mark because of injuries. Also, by following Georgia every year, they lose at least two games they never should loose. This is why Marky Mark finds himself on the hot seat every couple of years, the Mizzou game won't be the last one they lose that they shouldn't.

So the comparison of the Mizzou and A&M programs will play itself out and I think, over time you will see who is the sleeper and who is the pretender. Mizzou will lose at least three games in their own division. Just because your recent history doesn't show A&M to have done anything special, their history is far better and now they have a coach that knows how to recruit in and out of state (See: Kyle Allen #1 rated pro-style QB in 2014 class, from Arizona). Sumlin has been adding players from out of state since he got there and not settling for 3rd or 4th tier kids from in-state because some past coaches were too lazy to recruit out of state. The issue of the sucky 12 though, kids didn't want to come in state because most of the games were played in just Texas, that was the main reason they moved out of the SWC, it didn't work out very well for A&M as they got pounded in-state and couldn't get any quality out of state kids to come play for them.

Look because I am an A&M fan for football only, don't think I am just pubbing them because of that, I am not. They are a far better program than Mizzou at this point, Georgia loses games they shouldn't and A&M has a coach who can recruit. Those are all facts, so the sleeping giant really does apply given the short term results of Sumlin, who also by the way implements his systems around the players he has, instead of molding players into what they aren't.

My post is a question. I dont know the answer but if you are really believing the SEC isnt still oversigning then I got a football stadium to sell you.

It is not just oversigning but maybe it is a self-fulfilling prophecy that playing in the SEC will make you better in the long run. And the bottom feeders in the SEC are better than bottom teams in other BCS conferenceces.

I didn't say they weren't oversigning, they have found new ways around it...as in early enrollees count toward the previous class, but you also have to look at how many LOI's actually make it to campus as well. I don't believe any of that is monitored. It is all bs whatever the commish says from the SEC, they don't even follow their own rules and I strongly considered disowning Texas A&M football after the switch because of that.

This is where the NCAA has to step in, but never will, they are a governing body that chooses to govern when they want.

I wouldn't say Georgia is overrated year in and year out. The only way I'd say that is if you think they should be national title contenders on an almost annual basis. Say what you want about Georgia, but they are consistantly in the top tier among the SEC and are regularly competing for division/conference championships. Over the last 10 seasons they have at least had a share of 5 division championships and played in 4 SEC Championships. Now they've only won once and have seemed to struggle to win big games consistantly so I get your general point about Georgia. I'm not saying Richt is a great coach, but he is a good one and Georgia is in the top 1/3 of the hierarchy in the SEC at this moment and over the past number of years.

The sleeping giant notion is that the decade prior to 1999, A&M had the most wins in college football before they moved to the sucky 12 and kept R.C. Slocum far, far too long. A&M got out recruited by Mack Brown when he came over from North Carolina, that whole breath of fresh air kind of thing. It worked out for them, the Sumlin hire is going to have a similar effect at A&M, will they win a NC, can't tell you.

I always assumed that A&M was a sleeping giant because 1) they are a big school with a big alumni base 2) they have a lot of $$$, and 3) because they were smack dab in the middle of the best high school talent available. They just never seemed to harness all of the advantages that were available to them.

I always assumed that A&M was a sleeping giant because 1) they are a big school with a big alumni base 2) they have a lot of $$$, and 3) because they were smack dab in the middle of the best high school talent available. They just never seemed to harness all of the advantages that were available to them.

Their record after spending all the money they did to upgrade facilities and get the monster scoreboard. They got blown out in a bowl game the initial year and then forgot how to play a second half the whole season and Sherman got fired.

The biggest issue at Texas A&M was they were always overshadowed by Texas just by being in the same conference, even when Texas wasn't that great, A&M was still largely ignored, but it was their own fault too, I mean they got put on probation because their boosters were idiots and paid athletes.

I agree with you that there were a lot of advantages they had going for them, but they didn't take advantage. One of the larger issues was A&M's offensive scheme, running the option without having the players to do it. Then not ever having a QB that could throw the ball. Just so many failures once they joined the sucky 12 and it was beyond frustrating to watch because there was no reason for it.

Back to Mizzou: They are in the the better division and looking at their schedule, it has to be one of the more favorable ones in the SEC, wow. The East is just not good, watching Tenn/SC today, they just aren't good teams, it isn't because they are so even either. Florida is atrocious how they were ranked to begin the season is beyond me. The best teams in the conference are: Alabama/LSU/A&M right now and I think A&M is very vulnerable with just how terrible their defense is, so maybe put Mizzou ahead of them at this point. The SEC isn't as good as advertised this season.

Great showing by the A&M defense today, continued failures over and over...how bad is that unit?

I still don't think the SEC is as good as people want to believe.

Great showing by the A&M defense today, continued failures over and over...how bad is that unit?

I still don't think the SEC is as good as people want to believe.

I think there is a lot of parity (and mediocrity) in college football right now. IMO, if you put this Bama team in the 70's-90's, they would not be an annual contender for the National Championship.

Latest posts