How to stop Michigan

Saginawbay

First lets not say UM football is back still yet too face a quality def, and giving up 600 yards against IU would be a concern of mine if I were a UM fan.

But how do we stop them well first having two weeks is a great advantage look what Def did with time against Georgia Tech in Orange bowl. So that is a big advantage Iowa for sure, and with UM playing a not only tough physical game but tough emotional game against MSU will put Iowa in an even better position, and I am predicting a 65% chance will not see Robinson two of the toughest teams in Big Ten will get a crack at him in the next two weeks.

I think Iowa should try a 5-2 defense against UM if we can control line of scrimmage he cannot get down field with his feet and that is his biggest weapon lets make him win with his arm.

First thing is keep away. Play effedctive ball control offense.

Stick with 4-3, dominate the LOS, school the LBs for 2 weeks on the importance of filing the lanes and getting to their assignments, not biting on fakes and making tackles.
Corners have to defend and take away the pass threat long enough to string out the play.

Bottom line study, hold assignments and hit hard... really hard.

But the first part lies on the offense. Long efficient drives.

I think Iowa should try a 5-2 defense against UM if we can control line of scrimmage he cannot get down field with his feet and that is his biggest weapon lets make him win with his arm.
You are kidding right...best defense in the country and lets change what we do?????? I guarantee we have game planned for mobile QB's before...and Norm is back. Robinson hasn't seen anything like our defense. Also the best defense against Michigan will be long sustained drives by our offense.

We have traditionally not done well against mobile QB under Norm and lets not forget when he did play against us last season drove right down the field and scored against us so we did not control him last year.

5-2 defense is a bad idea IMO. Change can be good sometimes, but only as long as you have a while to perfect it. Iowa already is used to 4-3. Another thing is having 5 D linemen could be a bad thing. You could probalby control the line with 5 but It would be more difficult to take the outside away. Also I would think our LB's are a bit faster then the DL to run Robinson down if he goes to the outside. IMO keep the 4-3 and just have the DE's contain him on the outside and have a LB spying on Robinson in case he goes up the middle.

I do believe that playing "keep away" is pretty darn important. If Iowa's O own the time of possession like Indiana ... then that will equate to an Iowa victory. Iowa will not give up the big play nearly as easily as the IU D.

We have traditionally not done well against mobile QB under Norm and lets not forget when he did play against us last season drove right down the field and scored against us so we did not control him last year.

I agree that he did run all over us last year but I think Iowa was preparing all week for Forcier (spell check) that game and not Robinson. I am worried about this game and glad the hawks have 2 weeks to prepare because I think they'll need it. Can't wait for this game!

Well, I would agree two weeks is a big advantage for sure and I was thinking not entire game of 5-2 just something different they would not have game planned for. Should be a great game for sure.

Take a look at these stats from the Michigan/Indiana game this weekend:

T.O.P
Michigan 18:13
Indiana 41:47

Plays-Yards
Michigan 45-574
Indiana 98-568

:eek:

Point taken, Still Iowa's defense is light years ahead of Indiana's in terms of being able to capitolize on the TOP advantage.

When Denard "ran all over us" last year he consumed ~8 minutes running the ball in short increments for their TD drive when he was down 2 scores with ~12 minutes left. I believe this was Norm/Kirk's intention. Make them use up the clock with short runs. Not what fans like to see, but it worked. I'm just saying I wouldn't give Robinson too much credit for that series because it lost them the game.
BTW this led to a forced interception when he had to drive with ~ 1 min left on the clock.

Point taken, Still Iowa's defense is light years ahead of Indiana's in terms of being able to capitolize on the TOP advantage.

Absolutely. I wasn't calling you out; your suggestion would actually be a very good one. Watching that game, the Michigan offense created CAVERNOUS holes for Robinson to run through...I don't think those holes will be nearly as big against the Iowa defense, if they are there at all.

First lets not say UM football is back still yet too face a quality def, and giving up 600 yards against IU would be a concern of mine if I were a UM fan.

But how do we stop them well first having two weeks is a great advantage look what Def did with time against Georgia Tech in Orange bowl. So that is a big advantage Iowa for sure, and with UM playing a not only tough physical game but tough emotional game against MSU will put Iowa in an even better position, and I am predicting a 65% chance will not see Robinson two of the toughest teams in Big Ten will get a crack at him in the next two weeks.

I agree that we will play to keep him from running and beat him with his arm. I'm not totally sold on that yet. I think we also have to keep the ball when on offense and make long drives that score touchdowns. Hitting hard should and even harder the next time should be our mantra. Don't beat ourselves but beat UM's lame ***.

You are kidding right...best defense in the country and lets change what we do?????? I guarantee we have game planned for mobile QB's before...and Norm is back. Robinson hasn't seen anything like our defense. Also the best defense against Michigan will be long sustained drives by our offense.

Couldn't have said it better....he doesn't know what is coming and I'm sure he will get his, just keep them to a minimum and string him out or force him inside to the roaming LB that is shadowing him. Then make the tackle!

I envision Michigan State showing everyone how to beat them this week.

as long as they dont remember they are Michigan State.

I posted this in another thread, but I am very curious to see how MSU plays them this weekend. MSU has a similar mentality/identity to us both offensively and defensively (although they might blitz a bit more). It will be a hard-hitting game, which is a positive for us.

There are several threads on this, I think but here's my basic post:

1) Best defense is a good offense. We need to grind it out, limit the Michigan offense's time on the field and tire out their defense.

2) Play for the pass. Our DL is very strong, so unless there are some serious problems cropping, play as if it's going to be pass. That way, we'll be set if they do go to the air, and we'll have players back in case Robinson or another Wolverine escapes past the DL and the LBs.

3) Don't fall for all the hype about Robinson and company. If our defense tries to do too much, they're going to get burned, and that will most likely give up a TD. Well disciplined football is going to save the day.

4) Tackle. Tackle well and tackle hard. Can't let guys like Robinson bounce away from an arm tackle and take it for a huge gain, or a TD.

We didn't exactly game plan for him last year. This year is different. Iowa will be ready for him.

Latest posts