How "stacked is our backfield, really.

HawkIreign

I've ran across the term stacked in reference to our backfield on these boards o and I'm just curious where that comes from. In my opinion 114 ypg, 3.3 ypc and 13 touchdowns isn't the level of production that you would expect out of a stacked backfield. Just curious what you guys think.

A Rob averaged 4.6 yards per carry, Wegher 4.0. Both of those are numbers you can win with. Jewel was 5.7 I think but that OL was real good.

This year, A Rob and Wegher combined for 1475 yards. If one guy averaged that, you'd feel pretty good. Each is a good pass blocker, and neither fumbles. Hampton, if he gets to 100%, has a better burst in the hole than either of these two showed this year.

And as we are seeing in the NFL, having fresh legs, when you are committed to running the football, can be quite beneficial when you get late third, into the fourth.

Next season's offensives success or lack there of will fall on the OL.

I would say that having 3 backs with meaningful Big Ten carries eligible to play in the same season is stacked by college football standards. Not to mention that each back, if healthy, is able to break off a 20 yard+ run at any time is a great weapon to have...

A Rob averaged 4.6 yards per carry, Wegher 4.0. Both of those are numbers you can win with. Jewel was 5.7 I think but that OL was real good.

This year, A Rob and Wegher combined for 1475 yards. If one guy averaged that, you'd feel pretty good. Each is a good pass blocker, and neither fumbles. Hampton, if he gets to 100%, has a better burst in the hole than either of these two showed this year.

And as we are seeing in the NFL, having fresh legs, when you are committed to running the football, can be quite beneficial when you get late third, into the fourth.

Next season's offensives success or lack there of will fall on the OL.

Unfortunately those yards didn't all come from one back they came from two and it doesn't change the fact that he only averaged 114 ypg, good for 10th in the BT. And it would be great if we have a healthy Jewel coming back. In my opinion he's our most talented and most likely to tear of the big run.

Really? Are you kidding me, of course our backfield is stacked. It's not always about statistics man, this isn't fantasy football. Our offensive line had some problems last year, and we may have more. But with a good freshmen coming in, two sophomores with lot of experience, and then the talent that Hampton brings back... I'd say at RB spot, we're more than okay.

Its not like I think its a huge concern right now, I just don't see how people are saying a bunch of average(so far) and inexperienced RB's equates to a stacked backfield.

While I like all of our backs, I don't think any of them are "elite" RB's. They would probably be backups on teams like OSU, Oklahoma, Miami, USC etc... But they all bring something different to the table and we can definitely win with them. We don't need one player to dominate the touches. Between the top three we should have some very rested and fresh backs capable of keeping the pressure on the defense.

Currently we are stacked with potential at the RB position. 2 years from now we could be stacked with talent at RB. We have 4 sophomore RBs that will have had time to develop physically and mature in the system by next year. We are stacked with bodies, and ones that have potential. We will be stacked if the potential translates to results.

I would always love to have a Shonn Greene type back every year at Iowa. But I don't know if that is possible. In that case having 3 or 4 really good backs that you can just hammer a D with is a good thing.

Let's put it this way. I'd take any of the three as our feature back and feel good about it. The fact that the carries will be carried should only help in the 4th quarter and the games in November. I'd say that is stacked.

I suppose it is all semantics, and how one would define stacked. If you define stacked to mean dominate, or over-powering, then no, we are not stacked. If you interpret stacked as deep, varied, or multi-faceted, then we are stacked.

I get the point but in this case, since Iowa finished higher in the rankings than Oklahoma, Miami and USC, maybe that comparison baseline is a bad place to start. Iowa will rarely get that "feature" back, but with the team concept, the guys we have in that position now are definitely enough to call it stacked.

The fact that we have the caliber of backs we have is a tribute to improved recruiting. It's hard to talk about the backs we haven't seen but I will. Brinson and Coker seem to be damn good too. It wasn't an accident that a RB transferred. I think he thinks we're stacked too.

Two nineteen year olds combine to run for almost 1500 yds in the B10. 19 yr. olds. I'm guessing they are only gonna get stronger and better with experience. Combine that with the running style of JH if 100% and I'd say we're better off than most teams in the backfield. Now, if the OL can open some holes. It won't matter how good our backs are if there's no place to run. JMO.

Latest posts