How far are things from the 2014 season?

Hermes

Depending on how this season finishes, how is the fan base from the post 2014 mindset?

Attendance at the Nebraska game was 56k and there were at least 8,000 Nebraska fans at that game. Barta made comments about improvement needing to be seen. 2015 is now 3 years removed and Iowa continues to lose games in the same fashion as they did from 2010-2014.

I wonder if 2015 would have been 6-8 win season, no Big 10 West title & no Rose Bowl if Kirk would still be our head coach or on the way out after this season? He is really, really lucky 2015 happened.

I wonder if 2015 would have been 6-8 win season, no Big 10 West title & no Rose Bowl if Kirk would still be our head coach or on the way out after this season? He is really, really lucky 2015 happened.

Its really the only bright spot for the program since 2009. Iowa was 6-3 in the B1G in 2016 which is nothing to sneeze at, particularly when you consider they played Wisconsin, PSU, and Michigan that year. But that season is stained by the bookends of losing to a FCS program and getting destroyed by a Florida team that struggled to score against anybody that season.

Its really the only bright spot for the program since 2009. Iowa was 6-3 in the B1G in 2016 which is nothing to sneeze at, particularly when you consider they played Wisconsin, PSU, and Michigan that year. But that season is stained by the bookends of losing to a FCS program and getting destroyed by a Florida team that struggled to score against anybody that season.
losing to N Dakota St was so f-ing embarrassing as well that year.

I wonder the number of one possession losses Iowa has under KF and how that stacks up with other programs. Is it an Iowa thing? Or do Iowa fans just not notice it because they're so invested in what happens on Fall Saturdays in Iowa City?

It's heartbreak city, so close but yet it seems so far away. On the bright side, Iowa doesn't get blown out and they are in all of these games. One thing fans can say is that they have legitimate hope for a special season at the beginning of every season all thanks to KF.

If Iowa finishes 9-4, I give him a pass (not that should matter to any of you) but it was simply a blown opportunity at the West. Better times ahead. Go Hawks!

I wonder the number of one possession losses Iowa has under KF and how that stacks up with other programs. Is it an Iowa thing? Or do Iowa fans just not notice it because they're so invested in what happens on Fall Saturdays in Iowa City?

It's heartbreak city, so close but yet it seems so far away. On the bright side, Iowa doesn't get blown out and they are in all of these games. One thing fans can say is that they have legitimate hope for a special season at the beginning of every season all thanks to KF.

If Iowa finishes 9-4, I give him a pass (not that should matter to any of you) but it was simply a blown opportunity at the West. Better times ahead. Go Hawks!

That is a decent way of looking it in one respect, 9-4 if you are just a decent team.

This team could have been special. So close to being 10-0. I think Welch getting hurt didnt help. Neimann getting hurt didnt help but also it allowed Colbert to start and he is doing well.

I still think KF needs to be getting back to some double digit win seasons or retire.

Depending on how this season finishes, how is the fan base from the post 2014 mindset?

Attendance at the Nebraska game was 56k and there were at least 8,000 Nebraska fans at that game. Barta made comments about improvement needing to be seen. 2015 is now 3 years removed and Iowa continues to lose games in the same fashion as they did from 2010-2014.

To answer your question I am almost as mad as I was after the late season 2014 meltdown: The loss to Wisky when the hawks had no offense in the first half, Jake was bad; then Jake got good and a receiver named Vandeberg came out of nowhere. But the bad loss to Nebby after having two 17 point leads was a tipping point for me as KF went so conservative in the second half. You could see it with 3 and out after 3 and out only to see the hawks get behind and then immediately open it up to tie the game only to lose in OT.

I see a lot of that offensive problem in play calling and conservatism starting to creep back into the offense. It was so boring in 2014 I could hardly stand it.

2014? How about 2009?
2009 had a great defense, but we also had a solid QB, despite the pick 6's.

Since that Orange Bowl victory almost 9 years ago, all we really have is a Dead Cat's Bounce in 2015, thanks to CJ Beathard.

There will be more Nebraska fans in Kinnick, this month, than we saw in 2014.
As long as Kirk is getting his money until 2025, we are stuck with Little Lick as OC until then.
Question is, how bad will the program be.

Right.

Blown out by the Goofs the week after blowing out NW...

Which was three games after winning at Purdue...

So much better now!
I guess you could look at it that way if you want to completely ignore the fact that NW and Purdue are much better teams today than they were 4 years ago. Hell, NW has won 33 games since that year. I get that this year is enormously frustrating, but things are almost never that black and white, especially in the game of football.

I would say this year is much closer to 2008. For the most part a fantastic defense, coupled with an offense that sometimes can't get out of its own way, inconsistent QB play, and a lack of results in crunch time. I believe the 2008 team lost 4 games to solid competition (Top 25 Pitt, NW, and MSU, and Illinois when they weren't a dumpster fire) by a total of 17 points.

This year the competition isn't quite up to the same level, but the tight games are. We've lost 4 by a total of 23, which includes a late garbage-time TD against Wiscy.

Other difference i the 2008 team hit its stride at the end of the year rather than midseason. Can Iowa win out and save some face, and turn those close losses into wins next year? We'll see.

Other difference i the 2008 team hit its stride at the end of the year rather than midseason. Can Iowa win out and save some face, and turn those close losses into wins next year? We'll see.

And '08 had the big Penn St upset as a catalyst,

Right.

Blown out by the Goofs the week after blowing out NW...

Which was three games after winning at Purdue...

So much better now!

We haven't been blown out by anyone. This is not 2014. And if you think 2018 Purdue is like 2014 Purdue give me a break!

We haven't been blown out by anyone. This is not 2014. And if you think 2018 Purdue is like 2014 Purdue give me a break!

A loss is a loss...

And, that Goofs team was at 7-2 after blowing out the Hawks- significantly better than the 6-4 / 5-5 of this year's NW / PU.

If Illinois wins and then fires Lovie with the rejoinder, "We had to evaluate where Iowa was as a program", the 2014 flashbacks will flood in

Latest posts