How does this happen?

Fortunately for him, it didn't actually hurt his team in any way.

If the punting team recovers a muffed punt, it's a dead ball, no matter which way he runs. Had he run it all the way back for a safety, Towson wouldn't have gotten any points, since the play was technically dead as soon as he recovered it.

Kent State got the ball first and goal at the 7 and ended up kicking a field goal.

If the punting team recovers a muffed punt, it's a dead ball, no matter which way he runs. Had he run it all the way back for a safety, Towson wouldn't have gotten any points, since the play was technically dead as soon as he recovered it.

Kent State got the ball first and goal at the 7 and ended up kicking a field goal.

Ummm, what? Pretty sure if you recover a muffed punt you can run it for a TD.... The Honey badger did it last year.

Ummm, what? Pretty sure if you recover a muffed punt you can run it for a TD.... The Honey badger did it last year.

Once the returner has possession of the ball, fumbles are treated in the same way they are on other plays, but if the returner never controls the ball and merely muffs it and the punting team recovers it, it is a dead ball.

Once the returner has possession of the ball, fumbles are treated in the same way they are on other plays, but if the returner never controls the ball and merely muffs it and the punting team recovers it, it is a dead ball.

Bingo.

Don't ruin a good story with facts!:)

There is so much fail here, it is hard to decide what is worse. I go with the stupid muffed punt rule. Should be a live ball. Period.

There is so much fail here, it is hard to decide what is worse. I go with the stupid muffed punt rule. Should be a live ball. Period.

I agree with this 100%. It should have been Kent St's ball at their own 30 or wherever he got tackled. Which would make the whole sitch even more stupid.

I did not know this rule, however I since it is a rule, I say the refs had the biggest fail for letting this happen.

Latest posts