How does Barta not look at Jacobson?

tweeterhawk

Helluva coaching job today ... really all season. I have not been on the Ben Jacobson bandwagon. But he has had an impressive year. He wins the MVC and he beats Iowa.

Not the right choice at all for Iowa. Let him continue to grow at UNI and stay there.

Iowa needs someone who can recruit first off, and knows what it takes to win in a BCS conference.

To the people hooked on a return to the Tom Davis "style" "lose to Duke by 20 in the NCAA tourney" on a regular basis : what part of that UNI / Kansas game we just saw was boring to you? Name the exact Hour / Minute / Second.. of even 1.."boring" moment...

Go back years ago when UNI was not in this thing at all. Fast forward to now. UNI just beat #1 seeded and ranked team in the NCAA and let the entire way sans a few seconds at the very beginning.

Thats.. UNI...did this... .. U N I!!!

And your not interested in the coach that pulled that off?

Oooo k.

He won't stay at UNI for long, if at all. He'll have better options soon.

If we hadn't had two bad experiences with mid-major guys back-to-back (and you can throw in the Mac outcome at ISU as well), we'd be all over this guy. I'm not sure those experiences should keep us from looking at Jake, but they probably will.

According to ESPN, he is Barta's #1 guy right now.

But Lickliter had similar resume when he was hired by Iowa as did Alford at Missouri State. How that turn out for us?

While UNI is a good team and I love the players on the team, could this team win the Big Ten and Big Ten Tournament two years in a row like they did in the MVC?? Could Jacobson beat Kansas-caliber teams during a 18 game schedule year in and year out other than just once?

Helluva coaching job today ... really all season. I have not been on the Ben Jacobson bandwagon. But he has had an impressive year. He wins the MVC and he beats Iowa.

I would like to point out the fact that you said "year." Steve Alford had a good "year," we hired him. That sucked. Lick had a good year, we hired him. That sucked. Jacobson is having a good "year." If we hire him that will suck as well. We need more than a one year Cinderella coach. Need someone with proven success at a high level.

I would like to point out the fact that you said "year." Steve Alford had a good "year," we hired him. That sucked. Lick had a good year, we hired him. That sucked. Jacobson is having a good "year." If we hire him that will suck as well. We need more than a one year Cinderella coach. Need someone with proven success at a high level.

He is a good coach, but the fallout would be far worse if he comes here and falls on his face like TL did than if he goes somewhere else and does well.

According to ESPN, he is Barta's #1 guy right now.

But Lickliter had similar resume when he was hired by Iowa as did Alford at Missouri State. How that turn out for us?

While UNI is a good team and I love the players on the team, could this team win the Big Ten and Big Ten Tournament two years in a row like they did in the MVC?? Could Jacobson beat Kansas-caliber teams during a 18 game schedule year in and year out other than just once?

I hope this isnt the logic Barta is using. Not that he would use anything resembling logic on a message board anyway...

To the people hooked on a return to the Tom Davis "style" "lose to Duke by 20 in the NCAA tourney" on a regular basis : what part of that UNI / Kansas game we just saw was boring to you? Name the exact Hour / Minute / Second.. of even 1.."boring" moment...

Go back years ago when UNI was not in this thing at all. Fast forward to now. UNI just beat #1 seeded and ranked team in the NCAA and let the entire way sans a few seconds at the very beginning.

Thats.. UNI...did this... .. U N I!!!

And your not interested in the coach that pulled that off?

Oooo k.

Dumb to go off one game. So what your saying is we basicly should just hire every coach that makes an upset in the tournament, because it was exciting. Name one NCAA tournament upset thats not exciting??... Grow up Peter Pan!

He has been to the NCAA tournament two years in a row.

Get over it. There are great coaching jobs all over. So would you not hire Bill Self or Roy Williams. Hell, Williams is is in the NIT.

Iowa needs it own Big 10 identity. Look in Ames for a UNI coach.

Not the right choice at all for Iowa. Let him continue to grow at UNI and stay there.

Iowa needs someone who can recruit first off, and knows what it takes to win in a BCS conference.[/QUOTE]

Okay and if you don't have anyone who fits that criteria that wants to come to Iowa what do you do now?

Dumb to go off one game. So what your saying is we basicly should just hire every coach that makes an upset in the tournament, because it was exciting. Name one NCAA tournament upset thats not exciting??... Grow up Peter Pan!

Not worth it the time it takes to type a response.

I don't believe that Alford is even an average basketball coach. I think that Todd Lickliter could have challenged for postseason play this year had he been able to effectively relay his message to the players, perhaps even compromising just a bit, and keep them on campus.

It's obvious that Jacobson has total respect and adherence from his UNI squad. They've methodically beaten their opponents time and time again this year. What Barta has to decide, should Jacobson agree to an interview, is whether or not Ben will be able to get his message across to perhaps more egocentric players and recruits that a BCS conference school needs to compete.

I'm not trying to sell the guy as the next head coach... You said he had one good year and that's not true.

Though it would be nice to get back to the tournament, just because you made it does not dictate a successful year. Last year was a NICE year for them. This is a GOOD year for them.

I don't believe that Alford is even an average basketball coach. I think that Todd Lickliter could have challenged for postseason play this year had he been able to effectively relay his message to the players, perhaps even compromising just a bit, and keep them on campus.

It's obvious that Jacobson has total respect and adherence from his UNI squad. They've methodically beaten their opponents time and time again this year. What Barta has to decide, should Jacobson agree to an interview, is whether or not Ben will be able to get his message across to perhaps more egocentric players and recruits that a BCS conference school needs to compete.

Agree, and he may not be the best fit compared to the others obviously. It's the total dismissal based on "perceived style of play" that bugs me.

Jake doesn't have a one game resume. he has won the MVC regular seasen and tourny titles. He has his teams ready for every NCAA game and played every team close if not won. He was a recruiter for McDermot and knows what it takes to win in the state of Iowa, Unlike lick and Steve-O. UNI's players are plenty athletic for thier league and I'm sure he would be able to recruit better athletes to come play in the Big 10.

He may not be my top choice but when Bruce Pearl turns us down he may be our best option.

Latest posts