How different would Iowa bball be...

if Jason Bohannon had come here? Thoughts? Was his rejection the official beginning of the end?

No different. Bohannon is basically a roll player although he's be one of the top two players on a team full of roll players had he came here. If he was a BT caliber point guard or if he was 6'10" that my change my opionion but this team needs so much help that a player of Bohannons ability means little.

Gotta agree - Bohannon by himself wouldn't change things a lot. What I wonder more is, how different would Iowa hoops be if Bowlsby had not shown Mr. Davis the door? Likely Tom Davis would have been our coach for many more years, and possibly Keno or Pearl would have ended up being his successor. Instead, we ended up with Alford and Lickliter. Just speculation, but food for thought.

Gotta agree - Bohannon by himself wouldn't change things a lot. What I wonder more is, how different would Iowa hoops be if Bowlsby had not shown Mr. Davis the door? Likely Tom Davis would have been our coach for many more years, and possibly Keno or Pearl would have ended up being his successor. Instead, we ended up with Alford and Lickliter. Just speculation, but food for thought.

I agree, they broke a good chain with Mr. Davis...I don't think Tom Davis would endorse anyone from his coaching tree to be a coach at Iowa

Last edited:
"Another how good would Iowa be....?" question? What if the Northwestern State shot hadn't gone in or what if Haluska hit the buzzer beater at the end of that game?

I, personally see three reasons Iowa is where it's at right now. Luke Recker's knee breaking, Pierre Peirce and that shot going in. Almost every other negative Iowa basketball event seems to be related to one of those things.

I would argue the beginning of the end...

if Jason Bohannon had come here? Thoughts? Was his rejection the official beginning of the end?

was Raef Lafrentz going to KU instead of Iowa. Not that he made a poor personal decision, just that had he gone to Iowa we would have had a NCAA-caliber team all 4 years. Put him on the team with Andre Woolridge and Ryan Bowen and the Hawks possibly win the Big 10 in 1997 and a deep tourney run is certainly possible.
That happens and Mr. Davis likely doesn't lose his job, and Nick Collison ends up going to Iowa in 1999 instead of to KU, and Mr. Davis ends up coaching at Iowa until he goes out on his own terms sometime in the middle of the 2000-10 decade.
...Sigh....

I could argue that it's been a long string of excruciating disappointments since the 1980 Final Four when Ronnie Lester blew out his knee against Louisville. The OT loss to Idaho in the NCAA. Being forced to play at Wichita State (with Cliff Levingson and Antoine Carr) in the first round of the NCAA. Losing by 2 to a very good Villanova team in Kansas City in 1983.
The blown halftime lead against UNLV in the Elite Eight in 1987. Getting Duke in seemingly the second round of every NcAA tournament in the 1990s. Chris Street's death. Andy Kauffman's shot. Jess Settles' back. James Winters' knee. Recker's knee when Iowa is 6-2 and first in the Big 10. Alando Tucker's running bank shot from the top of they key in the 2005 Big 10 tourney. The loss to Northwestern in 2006 after leading by 7 with 6 minutes to go to cost Iowa a first Big 10 title since 1979. Northwestern State.
At some point fortune will change. At least I hope so.