How did OU get a 9 seed???

The Hawks are a 10 seed, but I agree it doesn't make any sense that Oklahoma has the better seed. Iowa's resume is better in every way. BUT I'd actually rather be a 10 seed than a 9 seed.

Every year there are several legit cases of “What the hell were they thinking?-type seedlings given out by the selection committee. This year takes the cake though for head scratching.
Carolina as a #1??? Sparty shafted big time, Ohio St in and UNC Greensboro left out.
Once the tourney begins, everybody’s happy again and March Madness once again secures it’s spot as THE BEST sporting event of all time!

Every year there are several legit cases of “What the hell were they thinking?-type seedlings given out by the selection committee. This year takes the cake though for head scratching.
Carolina as a #1??? Sparty shafted big time, Ohio St in and UNC Greensboro left out.
Once the tourney begins, everybody’s happy again and March Madness once again secures it’s spot as THE BEST sporting event of all time!
It's been brought up in the past that the B1G does itself no favors by scheduling it's conference championship game so close to the time the brackets get revealed. That may have been what got Sparty this year. They may not have deserved a one, but they deserved a better two. But one of these years that Sunday game is going to to go into triple overtime and involve a team that needs to win it to get in, potentially messing up a bunch of finished seeding, and who knows if they will hold up the selection show for it.

It's just another money grab for the conference, who would rather see its champion get screwed than give up the TV benjamins that come with playing at 2:30 on a Sunday. When Bob Bowlsby was the chair at the selection committee about 15 years ago he would complain about that late start time, forgetting that he was athletic director of a team from the very conference that was getting a huge financial benefit to play at that time.

The big 12 has it right. Play your championship game on Saturday night. Get it done. There's no reason the B1G could start it's early game on Tuesday and do the same thing. But once again, money first. They want that Saturday doubleheader and Sunday game.

They have a tremendous coach who has a lot of Dancing success. The 12 in the middle and bottom is probably better. At the top, pretty equal. They have a very experienced and successful coach who didn't do very well this year at the bottom and frankly teams really didn't want to play them I am sure.

I heard someone suggest they want to make an easier path for the 1 seeds so they made the 8 and 9 seeds weaker.

Someone mentioned this that OU had a losing conf record, they were 7-11 and only 19-13. How are the hawks a 11 and OU a 9 seed?
When you get down to the 8-12 area they might finagle the seeds more to make their conference/regular seasons re-matches in early rounds less likely.

Unless you’re the Big10 — 3 teams in the same sub-regional.

I don’t know specifically about OU
(haven’t looked)
Probably because the BigXII is so tough evidenced by the fact that it only took 183 years to keep Kansas from winning at least a share of the regular season title.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard someone suggest they want to make an easier path for the 1 seeds so they made the 8 and 9 seeds weaker.
Yeah, the ACC needs help.

That’s not sarcasm at you or the idea — but for the committee and ACC.

Didn’t the Big10/ACC end in a tie this season?

Because OU has a player who looks like Larry Bird
ec743129-6aab-4bb3-9789-f92c605a80b1-Bird_collage.jpg

When you get down to the 8-12 area they might finagle the seeds more to make their conference/regular seasons re-matches in early rounds less likely.

Unless you’re the Big10 — 3 teams in the same sub-regional.

I don’t know specifically about OU
(haven’t looked)
Probably because the BigXII is so tough evidenced by the fact that it only took 183 years to keep Kansas from winning at least a share of the regular season title.
Yeah but you’re overlooking all of the recent Big 12 success in the Final Four.

It did seem especially true this year that the committee set the brackets before any games were played on Sunday. Cincinnati was in the same boat. Probably should have been seeded higher based on how they won their conference championship.

Plus the overall seeding that was released doesn't match up with how teams were actually seeded. For instance Cincinnati basically got a home game as a 7 seed for the first weekend. That goes out the window if Iowa wins.

I think the committee needs to look more at how they pick teams for the game sites. Why do they have to announce what seeds will play at each site before they announce the seeding? Seed teams 1 to 16 like normal but choose what pods play at each game site based on the highest seed in the pod.

Also I think the Big 12 got too much respect from the committee. The thing that always hurts the Big 10 when the tournament actually starts is Big 10 refs let teams grab and hold way too much in conf play. So when it gets to tourney time and refs call that stuff then the Big 10 teams can't adjust.

Also I think the Big 12 got too much respect from the committee. The thing that always hurts the Big 10 when the tournament actually starts is Big 10 refs let teams grab and hold way too much in conf play. So when it gets to tourney time and refs call that stuff then the Big 10 teams can't adjust.

Well the committee did sorta snub Texas and TCU, so they didn't totally love the Big 12.

It did seem especially true this year that the committee set the brackets before any games were played on Sunday. Cincinnati was in the same boat. Probably should have been seeded higher based on how they won their conference championship.

Plus the overall seeding that was released doesn't match up with how teams were actually seeded. For instance Cincinnati basically got a home game as a 7 seed for the first weekend. That goes out the window if Iowa wins.

I think the committee needs to look more at how they pick teams for the game sites. Why do they have to announce what seeds will play at each site before they announce the seeding? Seed teams 1 to 16 like normal but choose what pods play at each game site based on the highest seed in the pod.

I am counting on that grabbing and holding being called. That’s good news for Iowa and Michigan and possibly Purdue (this year) IMO. It’s not so good for MSU, Maryland and Wisconsin IMO. I think Minnesota and Ohio State are one and done no matter how it’s called.

Or the Big 10 could be as good and deep as everyone thought/said and we all just roll everybody.

Were they really snubs? Both teams were under 500 in conf play and Texas was 17-16. The Big 12 was weaker this year as well.

Maybe not, but Texas had a NET ranking of 38 (Iowa was 43)

TCU had a NET ranking of 52 (Ohio State was 55, Minnesota was 61)