How can Iowa still win the West?

MikeyLikesIowa

I know we don't have much reason to be optimistic about this, but Iowa can still get back to the B1G Championship game. Of course, Iowa does still need to win out to have a chance unless Illinois & Purdue miraculously beat NW & Wisconsin. This would make things much more complicated, but assuming the latter two teams win I think the outcomes below give Iowa the best chance win the West.

- I'm thinking that Northwestern beating Wisconsin today will help us more than vice versa because I think NW is the weaker of the two teams and thus, has a higher probability of losing another game.

-Nebraska losing to OSU would help, but is not necessary since we still play them.

- It's not likely to occur, but Minnesota winning out is the best thing that could happen since they still play Nebby, NW, and Wisconsin and we would have the tiebreaker.

Your thoughts?

Very interesting scenarios. I think you have to say the hawks lose to Mich but have to win the other 3 games giving them a 6-3 record. That means jNW and Wisky will need to lose 2 more games apiece. I havent looked at the schedules but if Nebby loses today and we beat them we can tie them with 3 losses and own the tiebreaker against them. Wisky or jNW will have a third loss today.

We probably need help from Minny.

Even if it did somehow happen, what would it mean?

A not very good Iowa team ends up on top of a not very good division, earning the team a chance to get pummeled by Mich / OSU and the coach another extension. Hell, back-to-back not very good division titles? Make that an extension and a raise!

Yippee!

This would be great! I also hope that it would give them momentum going into the Big 10 Championship game. The team is probably very upset about being cheated out of it last year, and will come into the game fired up to win it! Then they can be in position to get a better New years day bowl game win too. I see a lot of 2003 in this team.

If you use your imagination you can see a flying pig!

ad_222524127.jpg

(1) Northwestern beats Wisconsin
(2) Nebraska loses to OSU
(3) Northwestern loses to someone else
(4) Iowa wins out
(5) Iowa goes to Indy

The odds of all of these things occurring, particularly Iowa winning out, are infinitesimal, but possible nonetheless.

You know folks. I respect an attempt at optimism but short of a plot to kidnap the entire roster of Nebraska, Wisconsin and Northwestern, this ain't workin'.

I'll cheer for Iowa against Penn State any time though.

We will be very fortunate to win more than just the Illinois game this season. I blame KF for our offensive woes more than I do our OC or our WR. We got rid of O'Keefe and now have had Davis with the same results. We give KF another great golden parachute and look what happens. Crazy

We will be very fortunate to win more than just the Illinois game this season. I blame KF for our offensive woes more than I do our OC or our WR. We got rid of O'Keefe and now have had Davis with the same results. We give KF another great golden parachute and look what happens. Crazy
Agree - Unless the offense opens up (e.g. Wadley or King in the slot, CJ starts rolling out) which is doubtful, 6-6 is the most likely regular season record.

I don't even think we'll win the Illinois game.

Agree - Unless the offense opens up (e.g. Wadley or King in the slot, CJ starts rolling out) which is doubtful, 6-6 is the most likely regular season record.

7-5. I think they beat Nebraska. Iowa's "gameplan" is always play not to lose and hope to capitalize on turnovers. That means they matchup best against mistake-prone qb's. Juice Williams. Denard Robinson. The ultimate Iowa bowl opponent, Stephen Garcia. Tommy A goes down again.

7-5. I think they beat Nebraska. Iowa's "gameplan" is always play not to lose and hope to capitalize on turnovers. That means they matchup best against mistake-prone qb's. Juice Williams. Denard Robinson. The ultimate Iowa bowl opponent, Stephen Garcia. Tommy A goes down again.

I see what you're getting at, but not this year. Tommy A is mistake prone, but he is also capable of leading Nebraska to 24+ points which is more than enough to beat this Iowa team.

I would love to be wrong,though.

Armstrong apparently suffered a concussion when they played OSU. If doesn't play when they play us we may have a chance.

Latest posts