How are we doing on recruiting compared to last year?

HawkeyeGold

anyone know where recruiting stands up to this point last year? it seems like we had more verbals last year at this time??

As of April 30 last year, Iowa had 7 commitments, but this year, there's only 3. Last year, Iowa's commitments at the end of April were all from out of state; this year, all three commitments are from Iowa. In all, things are a little bit slower for Iowa this year. In part, that's due to having a losing record, but my educated guess is that things are also slower across the country. The '13 class was historically fast in terms of early commitments. This class in general seems to be more willing to wait.

For the record, Iowa has more commitments by the end of April than they have had in almost any year except last year, so though things are slower than last year, they're still much faster than a lot of years have been.

Also worth noting--Iowa's roster right now only features 17 seniors, with several being walk-ons (4, I think, Lyman, Kreiter, Clark, Smith?). Even including Buford and Campbell leaving the team, Iowa is still looking to add a fairly small number of recruits in this year's class. Including Matthew Vandeberg, who will effectively be a part of this class as a greyshirt, and the potential addition of Trevon Young should things go well for him this year at Iowa Western, and Iowa's class might be as small as 15 high school seniors. That small number might help explain why Iowa isn't really recruiting any true pro-style QBs or pure defensive tackles right now.

I would think 4-8 (coupled with a multi-year downward trendline) has alot to do with why we may see fewer early verbals this year. They want to see what the future might look like with this program.......... who can blame them. Another bad year would likely bring more changes and that would be unsettling to many prospects.

As far as crediting Iowa with getting a jump start on recruiting last year......they pretty much had to due to the fact that numerous other programs had aleady taken the lead in starting their efforts earlier than ever.....Iowa reacted to the trend.

I would think 4-8 (coupled with a multi-year downward trendline) has alot to do with why we may see fewer early verbals this year. They want to see what the future might look like with this program.......... who can blame them. Another bad year would likely bring more changes and that would be unsettling to many prospects.

As far as crediting Iowa with getting a jump start on recruiting last year......they pretty much had to due to the fact that numerous other programs had aleady taken the lead in starting their efforts earlier than ever.....Iowa reacted to the trend.[/QUOTE]

I disgree with the part above. I think it was more of the trend of recruits not Iowa jumping on this trend. I think Iowa would love to have 7 commits by May 1st every year, but the recruits dictate that more than Iowa's recruiting efforts do.

As far as crediting Iowa with getting a jump start on recruiting last year......they pretty much had to due to the fact that numerous other programs had aleady taken the lead in starting their efforts earlier than ever.....Iowa reacted to the trend.[/QUOTE]

I think this is spot on. I don't think our performance helped us last year but we can still land some nice recruits. We need to get on the road and start hitting it hard. We do have a number of new coaches too so we will have to regroup a bit and make sure we leverage each to our best advantage. Im hoping with the new coaches we might get new "hot areas" and pump new energy into the process

I disgree with the part above. I think it was more of the trend of recruits not Iowa jumping on this trend. I think Iowa would love to have 7 commits by May 1st every year, but the recruits dictate that more than Iowa's recruiting efforts do.

One thing to note here is that 2 of those commits we had didn't end up signing with us. David Kenney switched to Indiana and Delano Hill switched to Michigan. These two were the best two recruits we had too...

One thing to note here is that 2 of those commits we had didn't end up signing with us. David Kenney switched to Indiana and Delano Hill switched to Michigan. These two were the best two recruits we had too...

I hated to lose those guys last year, but I think we have a really good class and I would challenge there is a really good chance those weren't the "best two" of the 7 we had, but time will tell.

The QUALITY of this class is outstanding ... but that kind of depends on our ability to keep Pierschbacher, IMHO.

Latest posts