Hoops: Iowa Going Toe to Toe with Big Ten Foes

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Let's start this off by saying two basketball games do not make a trend nor are they a harbinger of what is to come the next 16 games. However, Iowa fans have to be encouraged by what their Hawkeyes have done to start the Big Ten regular season.

Iowa lost a close one at home to Purdue (79-76) on Wednesday before pulling off one of their biggest upsets in years on Saturday, knocking off then #11 Wisconsin 72-65 at the Kohl Center. It was Iowa's first road win against a ranked opponent since 2006, it was just the 2nd home loss against an unranked for Wisconsin in games played in the Kohl Center (59-2) and it was Iowa's first win at Wisconsin since 2000.

The 72 points were the most allowed by Wisconsin all season, as they entered the game with the #1 ranked scoring defense in the nation. They held North Carolina to 60 points earlier in the year.

These are the type of games Fran McCaffery expects to see on a regular basis; going toe to toe with the best in the league and getting to a point where winning these games is not cause for pause or celebration.

Take a look at Iowa's statistics through two conference games:

stats2.jpg

Iowa is shooting nearly 49% from the floor against two of the best defensive minded programs in the league. The Hawks are also playing to their strengths, which is to say they are staying away from their weakness which is three-point shooting; Iowa has only attempted 8.5 three's per game compared to 24 per game for their two opponents.

Iowa has attempted 18 more free throws than Purdue and Wisconsin did combined, which is staggering. Again, Iowa plays to it strengths in attacking the rim with Devyn Marble and Bryce Cartwright while getting the ball on the block to Mel Basabe and Aaron White. The Hawkeyes have made more free throws in their first two games (33) than their two opponents have attempted (28), something that was a hallmark of Tom Davis era teams.

While Iowa is only +1 on the boards in their first two games, this is an improvement from what we have seen from Iowa during the non-conference portion of their schedule. I don't expect Iowa to outrebound Ohio State, but this is a good start for them in an area that has been a weakness thus far on the year.

Iowa turned the ball over 10 times against Purdue and 10 times against Wisconsin, which is a solid number for a team that looks to push the tempo. The Hawks are also averaging four blocks per game over this two game stretch.

Four Hawkeyes are averaging in double figures with a fifth at 8.5 points per game. That player is Matt Gatens, who is playing very well from the floor averaging nine rebounds per game which leads the team. Melsahn Basabe is next in line at 8.5.

Iowa's three primary ball handlers, Marble, Gatens and Cartwright, have a combined 25 assists to just five turnovers. Simply put, that's excellent basketball and gives you a chance to win.

There are aspects that don't show up in a box score or stat sheet and that includes the heart this team is playing with.

They withstood an early second half run against Wisconsin but never blinked, came back to take the lead and fought off some late game adversity to hold on for the win. Marble hit two of the more pressure packed shots we've seen in recent memory from an Iowa player late in the game against the Badgers.

This team has the look of a program that not longer is just happy to get a win, but one that expects to win.

They will still have their struggles this season as the lack of a consistent three-point game will put too much pressure on the other shots the team will take. I don't believe their rebounding concerns have disappeared, either.

But Purdue is a borderline Top 25 team and Wisconsin will still be in the Top 25 when the new rankings come out this week.

This is a very good start for the Iowa basketball team, who has a shot at winning two in a row on the road Wednesday night at Minnesota. Iowa started last year's Big Ten slate 0-6 and then 1-8.

One thing I know this team could use on Saturday is a packed Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

I was thinking about that yesterday as we drove back home from Iowa City. This team at least is playing to win, not just to compete. That's a culture change that you can see now.

The support of the team is going to come back but its going to be a slow process. But this team is easy to like and so is Fran. I'm pleased with the progress so far and now I'm really excited for the rest of the conference season. That win showed me they can beat anybody in the league. I still think they'll finish lower half of the league but they at least have me excited again.

The Hawks are also playing to their strengths, which is to say they are staying away from their weakness which is three-point shooting; Iowa has only attempted 8.5 three's per game compared to 24 per game for their two opponents.

Really good observation. I too have noticed that Iowa isn't shooting a lot of 3's, which I don't mind at all. It's still important to be able to shoot from the outside to keep an opposing defense honest, but I've always thought that good things will happen when you make a point of getting the ball inside. Once you become a jump-shooting team, you become far too 1-dimensional. Fran is a smart coach to get the team playing to its strengths. If you're not a good outside shooting team, then by all means - DON'T shoot a lot of 3's.

I agree that the Wisconsin win doesn't necessarily mean that we've seen the end of our struggles, but it's encouraging to see Iowa hang with tough opponents, and especially to have the composure to seal the deal in the Kohl Center - one of the toughest places in the country to get a W.

If Iowa can get some wins against the bottom tier conference opponents, and continue to play competetive basketball against the better teams in the league (especially if they can steal a couple more W's) then I will consider this season a success. That said, I still expect something along the lines of a 6-12 or 7-11 conference record. Much more than that seems unlikely.

I think the game that will officially tell us where we are going is the game agaisnt Ohio State. Of course there is a small chance of winning but if we keep a good fight and keep it to single digits. That will be enough for me to say this team will make a statement in NCAA Basketball.

I think the game that will officially tell us where we are going is the game agaisnt Ohio State. Of course there is a small chance of winning but if we keep a good fight and keep it to single digits. That will be enough for me to say this team will make a statement in NCAA Basketball.

I think a great showing from the fans at this game will really help. Iowa is going to need all of the extra energy they can muster to come close to staying even on the glass.

Really good piece.

Been going to games the last two years. I can report the crowds have been slowly growing especially when the non-con opponent is decent and for B1G games. You can feel a nervous excitement, buzz in the air as u walk around. Crowd has been looking to get involved.

Still expecting some struggles given we r short a few pieces but if the team continues to play with attitude and effort we are in for some fun times. It is already fun even in some of our losses.

I am pumped!

I think a great showing from the fans at this game will really help. Iowa is going to need all of the extra energy they can muster to come close to staying even on the glass.

Of course! and I believe there will be a full stands down at CH. That game I cannot wait for!

I know one of the players on the team very well (we'll leave it at that), and he is a player who has logged a lot of minutes. Here were his observations:

1. The team loves to play this type of basketball.
2. McCaffrey's attention to detail(and the rest of the staff) is tremendous.
3. The scouting reports prepare the team well.
4. Recruits want to play this style, so they are interested in Iowa again.
5. Fran cares about the players, so they are buying in.
6. There is a "family" atmosphere now. Fran has made it fun to play BB again.
7. He communicates a lot with the players and sets up expectations for the off-season.
8. Everybody has a role. They want to be a part of this now.
9. The selfishness of the team under Lickliter is gone. No one cares about individual stats. They just want to win.

There is only one thing missing now: The fans. The Iowa fans need to start filling Carver for these big Big Ten games to give Iowa the best chance. This team deserves that from the Iowa fans. It is time.

I know one of the players on the team very well (we'll leave it at that), and he is a player who has logged a lot of minutes. Here were his observations:

7. He communicates a lot with the players and sets up expectations for the off-season.
9. The selfishness of the team under Lickliter is gone. No one cares about individual stats. They just want to win.

There is only one thing missing now: The fans. The Iowa fans need to start filling Carver for these big Big Ten games to give Iowa the best chance. This team deserves that from the Iowa fans. It is time.

Ugh. Only because wow...how bad was Lickliter?

Ugh. Only because wow...how bad was Lickliter?

Lick was old school. The players had very little relationship with him...its like he felt a wall needed to be there, which is very much old school thinking.

Fran is hands on, a true 'players coach'.

If they keep playing the way they have the last couple of games the fans will start to come back. If they regress to the Campbell/Crieghton team, well. . . REALLY hoping some of those ugly early season games were just the result of the team still trying to click, and also the result of some injuries. This team seems to be more of a "team" than I've seen in years, even going back to some of Hair's last teams. If you need more evidence of this go and look at the 'jump around' video from the Wisconsin game, pay particular attention to the team's reaction when Fran joins them. Loved it. I know you wouldn't have seen that from a Lick team, and doubt you would have seen that from one of Hair's teams.

I'm like whoever posted above that 6 or 7 wins are still about all I expect from them this year. The difference between this year and last is that the losses should be closer this year, and will keep you interested as a fan.

I think the game tomorrow night at Minnesota will tell us a lot about this team as well. Fran has proven against Purdue last year and at Wisconsin this year that he can coach his teams up and beat ranked opponents.

However its easier to get up for Purdue or Wisconsin, than it is for Minnesota. Can Iowa come down from the Wisconsin win and get ready for Minnesota?

Good piece,Jon.

I really think that this Wisky win will have a lasting impact on the ''fan culture'' at Iowa. Of course they have to continue to play tough,hustling,uptempo ball,but I think especially among the student body, this wisky win just might break the logjam loose and start a popular movement toward attending Iowa bb games again.

OSU is a huge game. Will the students be returning by Saturday? It would help. Iowa has some nice saturday dates this year in league play,like Michigan the weekend after this one, so it is a great year to re-light that love for Iowa hoops. And most importantly, we have the style,the players,and the coach,that can make Iowa bb fun and entertaining again,even in losses.

I love to read Chosen Child's post about the attitude inside the locker room.
They cannot hide it,if it is a mess,and it is clear,that Fran is building a winning,family culture in the room. And that also shows up on the court. Keep it going. Minny is a big challenge,as they are 0-2 with two close road losses to Ill,and Mich,so they are desperate to win a league game,in their home opener. Everything is in the Gophers favor in this game,so just hope the Hawks keep it respectable....or win!

Good piece,Jon.

I really think that this Wisky win will have a lasting impact on the ''fan culture'' at Iowa. Of course they have to continue to play tough,hustling,uptempo ball,but I think especially among the student body, this wisky win just might break the logjam loose and start a popular movement toward attending Iowa bb games again.

Well it also probably helps that the football team has been struggling the last couple years, Fran is bringing a good product at a perfect time. I know I'm paying more attention this year and I'm not the only one.

I think we finally have Big10 players at all positions finally. When we have Cartwright (healthy), Marble, Gatens, White, and Basabe, we have 5 big10 players on the floor. Then you have role players who all do their part. May brings athleticism, and defense. McCabe brings toughness, and an attitude. Ogeslby can bring an outside shot and some length. Oleseni hopefully can start earning more minutes, and start showing that athleticism and rebounding we hear about from practice.

It really matters little who is starting, the main 5 will be in at the end, or if McCabe or May are hot then they are in. We finally have a full roster, instead of 3 Big10 caliber players surrounded by 6 role model type players. I think wins will be still tough to come by in this loaded conference, but I think you will see us compete most nights we hit the floor from here on out.

to point out the improved play last year Iowa didn't get win #8 and 9 until game 21 and 22 this year we got them at 13 and 15, not to mention the 1st BT win until the 8th game into the BT schedule
the home game against OSU was a 5 pt loss 73-68
Iowa will have a lot more talent and experience than they did last year
i do not see a blowout loss to OSU
I am not going to predict a win either, but i am confident of a close game

It's just awesome to have this much excitement surrounding a program that went 11-20 last year and a team that's 9-6 with a daunting B1G schedule ahead of us.

It's going to be a blast when Carver starts getting full again and let me tell you. I will be there for that like I have been the past two years.

Fran and company just need to keep the ball rolling forward.
Go Hawks.

Latest posts