Homework assignment

I

Ian Pike Hammer

Can some industrious person give us all a BRIEF scouting report on the rest of the B1G teams/expectations?

I summarized what I found online.

Illinois

The Fighting Illini return a top 5 player in college basketball in Ayo Dosumu along with top-five center Kofi Cockburn. They also brought in two top fifty players in Adam Miller and Andre Cuberlo. The loss of Andres Feliz won’t affect this team.

Indiana

Look at this roster and tell me it doesn’t have at least the top 30 talent. With Trayce Jackson-Davis, Race Thompson, and Al Durham returning along with Khristian Lander as a top 15 recruit. The only problem is Justin Smith transferring out.

Maryland

Maryland will drop off a lot. They will need to replace Anthony Cowan and Jalen Smith who in the past two seasons had a combined 31.8 points a game last season. Wiggins will get a much bigger role this year but won’t be able to match Smith’s production.

Michigan

.After losing Zavier Simpson this year the four returning players they have will need to step it up. This includes last year’s top scorer Isaiah Livers who was injured for apart of the year and looks to have a good healthy season.

Michigan St.

They need to replace Cassius Winston and Xavier Tillman as well. Aaron Henry and Rocket Watts will need to step up which they should be able to do and lead sparty to the sweet 16.

Minnesota

After losing Daniel Oturu who put up amazing numbers last season is heading to the NBA. Marcus Carr is still there. Sophomore Isaiah Ihnen will take on a bigger role and step into Oturu’s spot.

Nebraska

The only bright spot I can say for this team is Pittsburgh transfer Terry McGowens is immediately eligible. With enough new talent maybe they’ll scrape together a couple of wins to entice recruits to start something next year.

Northwestern

The good news is this Wildcats squad returns 5/6 of their leading scorers returning there is potential but this roster was 8-23 last year. Ty Berry is there top recruit a 6’2 combo guard from Kansas will look to get some meaningful minutes off of the bench. Losing AJ Turner will hurt.

Ohio St

After a 20 win season Ohio St. is bringing back as much as they lost with transfers Seth Townes from Harvard and California’s Justice Sueing and Utah St’s Abel Porter. These three will go along with returning core E.J. Liddell and Duane Washington.

Penn St.

They lost their second-leading scorer ever in Lamar Stevens along with the third-leading scorer from last year Mike Watkins. Yet they have six returning players from last year they can get a couple of wins in Big Ten play.

Purdue

For the next 8 weeks they will be without stud Eric Hunter who had 10.6 points a game last year and that will affect them a lot. One positive is Trevion Williams who is the anchor of defense from last year that ranked top 10 in efficiency.

Rutgers

Steve Pikiell’s returns Geo Baker and Ron Harper Jr. They should be able to reproduce the same top 10 efficiency that they had last season to finish as a top 25 team.

Wisconsin

Wisconsin returns its top five scorers. They will lean on Micah Potter in a balanced offensive attack.

Iowa

Better than all of these schmucks.

Last edited:

Illinois

The Fighting Illini return a top 5 player in college basketball in Ayo Dosumu along with top-five center Kofi Cockburn. They also brought in two top fifty players in Adam Miller and Andre Cuberlo. The loss of Andres Feliz won’t affect this team.

Indiana

Look at this roster and tell me it doesn’t have at least the top 30 talent. With Trayce Jackson-Davis, Race Thompson, and Al Durham returning along with Khristian Lander as a top 15 recruit. The only problem is Justin Smith transferring out.

Maryland

Maryland will drop off a lot. They will need to replace Anthony Cowan and Jalen Smith who in the past two seasons had a combined 31.8 points a game last season. Wiggins will get a much bigger role this year but won’t be able to match Smith’s production.

Michigan

.After losing Zavier Simpson this year the four returning players they have will need to step it up. This includes last year’s top scorer Isaiah Livers who was injured for apart of the year and looks to have a good healthy season.

Michigan St.

They need to replace Cassius Winston and Xavier Tillman as well. Aaron Henry and Rocket Watts will need to step up which they should be able to do and lead sparty to the sweet 16.

Minnesota

After losing Daniel Oturu who put up amazing numbers last season is heading to the NBA. Marcus Carr is still there. Sophomore Isaiah Ihnen will take on a bigger role and step into Oturu’s spot.

Nebraska

The only bright spot I can say for this team is Pittsburgh transfer Terry McGowens is immediately eligible. With enough new talent maybe they’ll scrape together a couple of wins to entice recruits to start something next year.

Northwestern

The good news is this Wildcats squad returns 5/6 of their leading scorers returning there is potential but this roster was 8-23 last year. Ty Berry is there top recruit a 6’2 combo guard from Kansas will look to get some meaningful minutes off of the bench. Losing AJ Turner will hurt.

Ohio St

After a 20 win season Ohio St. is bringing back as much as they lost with transfers Seth Townes from Harvard and California’s Justice Sueing and Utah St’s Abel Porter. These three will go along with returning core E.J. Liddell and Duane Washington.

Penn St.

They lost their second-leading scorer ever in Lamar Stevens along with the third-leading scorer from last year Mike Watkins. Yet they have six returning players from last year they can get a couple of wins in Big Ten play.

Purdue

For the next 8 weeks they will be without stud Eric Hunter who had 10.6 points a game last year and that will affect them a lot. One positive is Trevion Williams who is the anchor of defense from last year that ranked top 10 in efficiency.

Rutgers

Steve Pikiell’s returns Geo Baker and Ron Harper Jr. They should be able to reproduce the same top 10 efficiency that they had last season to finish as a top 25 team.

Wisconsin

Wisconsin returns its top five scorers. They will lean on Micah Potter in a balanced offensive attack.

Iowa

Isaiah Livers is this year's candidate for the "Player Who Feels Like He's Been There For Eight Years" team.

JBo would certainly qualify as well. Pemsl would have. Wait til Nunge is a senior.

Jalen Coleman-Lands HAS been around for eight years. I swear. I remember Peter Jok guarding him when JCL was at Illinois. He torched us in that DePaul game last year. Now he's a Cyclone. He may never run out of eligibility.

Illinois

Indiana

Maryland

Michigan

Michigan St.

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Ohio St

Penn St.

Purdue

Rutgers

Wisconsin

Iowa

I fear only Illinois, Wisky, and Rutgers.

Every damn year I am convinced that the Badgers are over rated. I intend to try again this year.
Not with five seniors who can shoot. Losing malcontent Kobe King at mid-season last year may have been addition by subtraction. And like Painter, Greg Gard is a good x and o coach and a good bench coach. He can't quite work the officials the way his grinch mentor once did and Davison can't get away with nut punches when he fights around a screen the way he might of when Grandpa Grinch was on the bench.

Every damn year I am convinced that the Badgers are over rated. I intend to try again this year.
Every year they quietly recruit some top talent, then proceed to play high-quality bball. Don't forget, they tied for the conf lead last year and return all 5 starters. This is a testament to either landing damn good players, elite coaching, or both. Also, they know how to win on the road; no mean feat in the loaded B1G. Wisky should actually be favored to win the title this year, not us. We'll see.

Latest posts