HN TV: Ryan Kriener Embraces Leadership Role

I have always liked Kriener, seems to be a good teammate, hustle, not a complainer, works hard. Hope he has a great year to end his career at Iowa. Hopefully he will be given more of an opportunity given his experience and the departures.

Another site has a similar story and describes him as a "rangy" player. Is this a stereotypical description of a white player? I have never heard rangy used to describe an African American BB player. Is it similar to "blue collar" or "lunch bucket type" or "gym rat" which also seem to be used exclusively for white players. Would an announcer be advised to avoid using such words of description because of their racial connotations? Similar to King Kong?

I have always liked Kriener, seems to be a good teammate, hustle, not a complainer, works hard. Hope he has a great year to end his career at Iowa. Hopefully he will be given more of an opportunity given his experience and the departures.

Another site has a similar story and describes him as a "rangy" player. Is this a stereotypical description of a white player? I have never heard rangy used to describe an African American BB player. Is it similar to "blue collar" or "lunch bucket type" or "gym rat" which also seem to be used exclusively for white players. Would an announcer be advised to avoid using such words of description because of their racial connotations? Similar to King Kong?

He's also sneaky athletic.

I think Ryan is good enough to be our starter at the 4 position and that is no knock on this team. Ryan is a legit starting forward in this conference. That said, I certainly hoping the starting forward position goes to Nunge.

I think we know what you will get out of Kreiner. Tough defense and rebounding. Hustle. And has a good offensive game.

But, Nunge has so much more upside given his length and outside shooting. I am just hoping his redshirt year of building muscle and skill has not been all hype. If it went as well as reported, he should be good enough to start over Kreiner, and that is a very good sign for Iowa hoops.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Kriener come off the bench but play starter minutes in splitting some time between mostly the 5 but also at the 4.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Kriener come off the bench but play starter minutes in splitting some time between mostly the 5 but also at the 4.
Agreed. Fran will have the luxury of having 20 fouls and be able to play the hot hand with 4 experienced post players splitting two positions.