HN TV: Lute Olson, Ronnie Lester Remember Old Times

Bump.

Would encourage you guys to watch if you have time. Great to see these gentlemen last night.

Lute was a few rows in front of me last night and then all the players around were great to see. I saw Stokes, Payne, Gannon and bunch of others. Made my night as much as the game did!

Always wonder what would have been if Lute had stayed around? Where would our program be?
Question, I'm young enough I don't know all the reasonings he left etc. I think I was like 5 at the time. How come there doesn't seem to be resentment or hard feelings from Iowa and Iowa fans?

Always wonder what would have been if Lute had stayed around? Where would our program be?
Question, I'm young enough I don't know all the reasonings he left etc. I think I was like 5 at the time. How come there doesn't seem to be resentment or hard feelings from Iowa and Iowa fans?

I do have some of that resentment. I was 14 when he left and it still stings because in my view he would have taken Iowa to the next level.. My favorite sport as a kid was Basketball and I would sit in front of TV and or listen on the radio and track player points.. I was devastated when he left Iowa and despise anything Arizona!! No doubt in my mind that Lute would have won a NCAA Title at Iowa..

I don't remember Lute, but my Dad used to talk about it a lot and he was pissed that he left. His belief is that Iowa basketball never recovered from Lute leaving. He never seemed bitter toward Lute but at the same time I think that bitterness has gone toward the coaches who have followed. 3 of them aren't very popular regardless among our fan base but he didn't even like Davis.

Lute kept a recruiting pipeline going at Iowa and was occasionally reeling in Iowa high school players well into the nineties. I think Justin Wessels from Cedar Rapids was the last one. I think the pipeline drying up when it did coincided with kids being born too late to have any memories of Lute's Iowa years. It's not difficult to draw a correlation there.

To answer the question I think the resentment would have been a lot deeper had the 1987-89 era not happened. I think many of us hung onto the hope that the Doctor would have a better chance of winning a Natty than Lute. That is until Arizona whipped us twice in 1987-88.

Lute got a positive reception when he brought his team back to Carver in December 1987. That was a testement to the power of that 1980 season and how special it was and still is today.

Alford and Bowlsby should have scheduled one more game with Arizona, or a home and home. One more chance for Lute to come back to Iowa City before he retired. Unfortunately it never happened.

Last edited:
I do have some of that resentment. I was 14 when he left and it still stings because in my view he would have taken Iowa to the next level.. My favorite sport as a kid was Basketball and I would sit in front of TV and or listen on the radio and track player points.. I was devastated when he left Iowa and despise anything Arizona!! No doubt in my mind that Lute would have won a NCAA Title at Iowa..

The pervading feeling, after 1981/1982/1983, was that Lute "will only get us so far". His last 3 seasons were pretty disappointing, save for a decent NCAA run in 1983, making the Sweet 16 before going down to Villanova by a point. Lute's last several pressers were painful to watch. He was actually complaining--almost whining--in a couple. It was definitely a mixed bag of feelings around town when he announced he was leaving.

Latest posts