HN TV: Barta Addresses Retired Numbers

Hmmm...I thought Barta was only good at harassing lesbians. Turns out he's pretty good at apologizing. His most recent greatest hits:

1) Sorry, but we thought Brian Ferentz's temper was under control.
2) Sorry, we just thought the white guys were better leaders.
3) Sorry, we didn't realize belittling a learning disability was a bad thing.
4) Sorry, making men strong trumps compassion and respect.
5) Sorry, but we didn't realize people from the 80s were still paying attention (Marble Family)

You know...this Garza thing could have been done really slick...and they could have made it inclusive. The quick announcement was a just a bad idea. You announce it, and you schedule Roy Marble night in Carver. You schedule Luka Garza night in Carver...all when there can be a full house in the November / December timeframe. I'm sure you could find a night that works in their schedules next year.

Where is their Public Relations team / marketing team. Honestly...the 10 year old down my block is better at promoting his lemonade stand then Iowa is at marketing their programs and star players. You just went through hell last spring and summer with racial issues...then you do this which calls it back into question. Again...Luka Garza's retirement of his number is deserved...and I can see why maybe Roy's isn't. Luka is the college player of the year two years running in the Sporting News, First Team All American two straight years. Roy never achieved that level of National success...and recognition. i get that...but there is more at play here and the University should, by now, be sensitive to it.

Athletic Departments that have their crap together...aren't apologizing every six months.

Last edited:

Latest posts