hn iPHONE app doesn't allow you to view forums and pop up on left side doesn't leave

stlrnhwk

Hi Jon,

Sorry if i missed this but do you have an update on when the forums will work again on the i phone app? if i try to go to the individual forums i get an error message "Server Error, Please try again later"

Also, when reading articles on my computer, using explorer (have to use this at work) the tab pulls up on the left side of the page that allows you to google link the article, pin it, tweet it, etc and there is no visible way to x out of that, i end up having to scroll down and read the article an inch at a time at the very top of the page.

Re: hn iPHONE app doesn't allow you to view forums and pop up on left side doesn't le

Both the iphone and Android HN apps have been shut down because they were not compatible with the recent vBulletin site upgrade.
Jon has stated several times that he may (or may not) bring apps back in the future, but at this time he has no plans to relaunch them and he suggests visiting HN via the mobile browser of your choice. :)

Re: hn iPHONE app doesn't allow you to view forums and pop up on left side doesn't le

here's a screen shot of what i'm talking about.

popup_zpsb407beff.jpg

Thanks Scorpio,

Jon, i posted the picture above of the pop ups that overlay articles on the desktop site.

Also, if you ever want to go paid site i'd be willing to pay just to avoid the audio pop ups that come on loud when i pull up articles.

I would wager you are using a version of Internet Explorer 7, or older. 7 was released four years ago, bro ;) If you update your browser to 8 or 9, this problem will go away. The platform was not built with 7 in mind, as 96% of our IE users are on 8 or 9

explorer_zps4fcf7234.jpg

However it could be missing some parts that are needed to run smoothly, it takes our IT a while to allow us to move to the newer updates. Gotta go replace the paper in my dox matrix printer...

can you download (or thumbdrive import) chrome of firefox on your local office PC and what you see? That would isolate the problem to IE

Unfortunately it's locked down for any installations, i'm a firefox fan but can't use it here. Since it appears it's probably related to my browser I wouldn't worry about it any further.

Thanks for the help!

Hey JD, don't you wish every HN member was as cheerful and reasonable as stlrnhwk? :D

You have an iPhone, correct? If so, what page am I bookmarking to have it go straight to the forums? I have tried clicking "What's New?" and bookmarking that, but when I go back it just says "can't find search results" or something like that. Any ideas?

I would wager you are using a version of Internet Explorer 7, or older. 7 was released four years ago, bro ;) If you update your browser to 8 or 9, this problem will go away. The platform was not built with 7 in mind, as 96% of our IE users are on 8 or 9
whats another 4%? Are they linux user?

Jon, you didn't answer the question about the iPhone app.

Jon, you didn't answer the question about the iPhone app.

Oh, you can probly find the answer if you look around. Check the post pinned to the top of this forum from August