Here's My Writeup on the Fran-Arkansas Story

Does anyone know if that flight document is even real? Maybe I’m a conspiracy guy but didn’t that just come from some message board? Possibly the greatest April fools prank of all time?

Does anyone know if that flight document is even real? Maybe I’m a conspiracy guy but didn’t that just come from some message board? Possibly the greatest April fools prank of all time?

I trust Scott Dochterman. He's who I referenced in my story. He tweeted the flight info.

If Rob's source from New Mexico has been good to Rob in the past then there's no reason to believe he isn't reliable now. Add to the flight timeline Doc tweeted and I think this story has some legs to it. Would anyone honestly expect Fran to say "Yes" if asked whether or not he or his agent has met with Arkansas? The only person I can remember who has ever admitted meeting with other schools regarding another coaching job is Hayden Fry when he was open about meeting with USC following the 1985 or 86 season.

For the Fran detractors and or haters...Would Arkansas pay a huge buyout for Fran?

In a word, yes. Lots of SEC Network, donor, and Walton Family money. But isn't the buyout for if Iowa fires Fran without cause? This would be Fran choosing to leave on his own, not being fired.

Arkansas just fired a guy who has a better resume than Fran. Why would they go after a 60 year old coach with less credentials?

And why on green Earth would Fran leave the greatest job security cush college basketball job in the country? He has a dog and pony show for an AD and receives a $400,000 bonus by just making it to the NCAA Tournament. Barta and the program don't have expectations of championships, just make the tourney every couple years. He will make nearly $3 million after this rumor when Barta ups his salary. Iowa athletics have the greatest job security and highest pay based on expectations/results in the country. No way would he leave that. He's not Bruce Pearl, Chris Beard, or Fred Hoiberg.

Arkansas just fired a guy who has a better resume than Fran. Why would they go after a 60 year old coach with less credentials?

And why on green Earth would Fran leave the greatest job security cush college basketball job in the country? He has a dog and pony show for an AD and receives a $400,000 bonus by just making it to the NCAA Tournament. Barta and the program don't have expectations of championships, just make the tourney every couple years. He will make nearly $3 million after this rumor when Barta ups his salary. Iowa athletics have the greatest job security and highest pay based on expectations/results in the country. No way would he leave that. He's not Bruce Pearl, Chris Beard, or Fred Hoiberg.

He would if he was pissed off about Dolphin getting to keep his broadcasting job and can no longer have a working relationship with Dolph moving forward. He would if it meant Connor got to play for one of the best college baseball programs in the country. He would if he wanted to get away from the constant scandal (both perceived and real) that seems to embroil the Iowa athletic department alot lately. He would if he wanted to coach in a program with better fan support, better facilities, and more financial backing than Iowa. Each of these things by themselves may not cause Fran to move on but collectively they could.

I don't think expectations affect Fran one way or the other. They shouldn't if you have coached as long as he has. In fact you should embrace expectations. Arkansas has high expectations for basketball every year. But they have financially backed basketball and football at high levels while Iowa has financially backed football above all and all the other programs get what is left over. Kinnick has become a palace while Carver is long overdue for a major renovation and there has been no indication one is coming soon. Arkansas' football stadium just got a major expansion and renovation and the basketball team plays in a 20,000 seat palace financed by the founding family of Wal-Mart. So yes Arkansas has expectations but you get the support and you get to recruit whoever you want to come there. Iowa seems to have no expectations for basketball, has financed the basketball program as such, and is a little more scrutinizing of who they bring on campus. Let's not forget the apathetic fan base that seems to expect milk-toast results every season. I don't know about you but I'd prefer the expectations and support of Arkansas over the apathy of Iowa regardless of salary.

Arkansas basketball is not that great. SEC hoops is about Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee & right now Auburn with Pearl at the helm. Now the baseball would be much better for Connor at Arkansas.

Doesn't make sense. Fran is just supposed to pack up and leave his family behind at Iowa? Connor going into his 3rd year and Patrick has a signed LOI with Iowa...and THEN Fran leaves?

If Fran wanted to leave his window was 2 years ago, or 4 years from now. Right now? Nope.

It’s hard to know how happy or unhappy a person might be in a given job and what might entice him to move on.

It’s not like it’s been smooth sailing here for Fran and his family. And he last two years, in particular, have been filled with some drama.

It’s hard to know how happy or unhappy a person might be in a given job and what might entice him to move on.

It’s not like it’s been smooth sailing here for Fran and his family. And he last two years, in particular, have been filled with some drama.
I have heard that Fran's wife loves Iowa City. I wonder if the success the women had made Fran feel uncomfortable and maybe a bit embarrassed?

Fran and family probably feel they have been treated unfairly and underappreciated.

If he leaves, Iowa gets out of an ill advised contact, and moves on to find a good hire, fresh blood.

It isn't like Fran has led Iowa to the pinnacle to success, more like end of the year disappointment mixed in with angry tirades.

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense. Fran is just supposed to pack up and leave his family behind at Iowa? Connor going into his 3rd year and Patrick has a signed LOI with Iowa...and THEN Fran leaves?

If Fran wanted to leave his window was 2 years ago, or 4 years from now. Right now? Nope.
Also, Connor took a RS year so he sits 2 out of 3 years? Patrick has to choose between playing for his dad or with his brother. Iowa returns a lot of experience. Fran recruited all of these players. His 2 most well rounded players were a freshman and sophomore this year IMO. And...where do his in-laws live?

Also, Connor took a RS year so he sits 2 out of 3 years? Patrick has to choose between playing for his dad or with his brother. Iowa returns a lot of experience. Fran recruited all of these players. His 2 most well rounded players were a freshman and sophomore this year IMO. And...where do his in-laws live?

I mean maybe....MAYBE...Connor just gives up basketball and goes baseball full time....and maybe if a coach leaves the NCAA will let you out of your LOI? Not sure on that one.

Still...none of it adds up

I mean maybe....MAYBE...Connor just gives up basketball and goes baseball full time....and maybe if a coach leaves the NCAA will let you out of your LOI? Not sure on that one.

Still...none of it adds up

Couldn't Iowa release Patrick allowing him to transfer where ever he wants and be eligible immediately? I swear that's happened before during coaching changes.

Latest posts