Heres A Question-College Or Pro

Northside Hawk

Why are so many punt returners calling fair catches when inside their ten yard line? I've seen more of it this year than ever before.

Used to be the rule of thumb when the other team punted near midfield was to stand on the ten yard line, then if it went over your head to let it go into the endzone.

Watching playoffs and it just happened again. I've seen some punt returners fair catch inside the five. Don't understand it. I'd take my chances that it goes into the end zone. It's hard for the gunners to run full speed, locate the ball, stop their momentum, and down it. It goes into the end zone more often than not.

Why are so many punt returners calling fair catches when inside their ten yard line? I've seen more of it this year than ever before.

Used to be the rule of thumb when the other team punted near midfield was to stand on the ten yard line, then if it went over your head to let it go into the endzone.

Watching playoffs and it just happened again. I've seen some punt returners fair catch inside the five. Don't understand it. I'd take my chances that it goes into the end zone. It's hard for the gunners to run full speed, locate the ball, stop their momentum, and down it. It goes into the end zone more often than not.

Yeah, they bury themselves inside the ten

And usually have to punt inside the end zone

Field position destroyed, leaving the opponent, more than likely, at least in FG range

The rules don't really promote returns and the punters are better. Almost every long return gets called back for some hold or block in the back that had no affect on the play.

Kirk and Co probably like fielding inside the 10....because it leads to a better chance of punting the ball and gets the defense back on the field sooner.

Latest posts