Henderson 8th on ESPNU 150

I didnt think he was ranked #1 on espn's site i thought it was just on scout and rivals site.

I think we have no chance to land this kid but if we do, my god. With how Kirk coaches up O-linemen he would be a 3 year starter and 2 time all american.

I think we have no chance to land this kid but if we do, my god. With how Kirk coaches up O-linemen he would be a 3 year starter and 2 time all american.

Why even say this kind of stuff? The future is completely unknown while history does not lie. Blake Larsen and Dan Doering were 4 star recruits but did not become All-Americans. Who became an All-American, Robert Gallery the lightly recruited TE.

Yeah recruiting ratings really dont' mean all that much. I mean shonn greene was a 2 star or 3 star RB. He ended up winning the doak walker award. You know how many 5 star RB's where in his class, that didn't even come close to the doak walker award. Recruting rankings don't mean anything, Dallas Clark was a 1 star recruit and he didn't even have any offers from div 1 schools. he walked on and look what happend? Pro Bowl TE. I don't even watch any of these recruiting shows or anything because its all biased towards the SEC and the PAC 10. If a player committs to florida, they immediatly become a 4 star or more. Pretty pathetic, I hope we can get hendersen, I think he would be a great addition to our team. With his size, the sky is the limit for that kid!

Yeah recruiting ratings really dont' mean all that much. I mean shonn greene was a 2 star or 3 star RB. He ended up winning the doak walker award. You know how many 5 star RB's where in his class, that didn't even come close to the doak walker award. Recruting rankings don't mean anything, Dallas Clark was a 1 star recruit and he didn't even have any offers from div 1 schools. he walked on and look what happend? Pro Bowl TE. I don't even watch any of these recruiting shows or anything because its all biased towards the SEC and the PAC 10. If a player committs to florida, they immediatly become a 4 star or more. Pretty pathetic, I hope we can get hendersen, I think he would be a great addition to our team. With his size, the sky is the limit for that kid!

Recruiting rankings do mean something, they just are not 100% accurate.

For instance, 4 and 5 star recurits on this team include Moeaki, Richardson, Hunter, Edds, Donahue, Eubanks, Clayborn, Bulaga, Wegher, and Ballard. If you look at the facts, there will be more 4 and 5 star ranked big time players than 1 and 2 star. We like to point out how we make stars out of little recruited players, but that is the exception, not the rule.

According to Rivals, there was only 1 5-star running back that year and he didn't win the Doak Walker Award. But I think Adrian Peterson did OK for himself. The list of 4 star running back are guys that are absolutely unknowns, though.

I've always loved the recruiting busts where Iowa should get the best 2/3 star guys and ignore the rest. Everyone brings up Larsen and Doering but no one remebers the fact though that guys like Matt Roth and Bryan Bulaga were 4 star recruits. Iowa has had a lot of luck with 2 or 3 star recruits, however, there have been alot more of them. For every Bob Sanders, there are 10 guys 2/3 stars who don't turnout for whatever reason.
I also think its pretty idiot to be the 4th 5 star RB at a place at USC where you could be the star somewhere else. I think Donald Brown would be a good example of that.

everyone knows Iowa does wonders with 2 and 3 star recruits, but why automatically discount a 4 or 5 star? Where is it written that we can't or SHOULDN'T recruit them either? If we can make a 2 star play like a 4 star, what could we accomplish with a 5 star in the ESPN 150 top 10?

Sorry for highjacking.. IMO Iowa fans discount the Rivals star system for recruiting because Iowa is usually unsuccessful at recruiting 'high star' athletes.

Iowa fans have institutionalized this acceptance of unsuccessful recruiting. It's too cold. The 'high star' players are not team players. Besides, Iowa routinely turns 1, 2, and 3 star players into studs. That's easier when one is turning a tight end into a lineman. For example, it's almost impossible to turn a 1, 2, or 3 star cornerback into a cornerback stud. It's easier to turn a 1, 2, or 3 star cornerback into a fifth 'linebacker' on the field.

A few days ago, someone started a thread wondering if Iowa was one of the top programs in football. To consistantly be a top program, Iowa must consistantly recruit 'top' athletes.

Sorry for highjacking.. IMO Iowa fans discount the Rivals star system for recruiting because Iowa is usually unsuccessful at recruiting 'high star' athletes.

Iowa fans have institutionalized this acceptance of unsuccessful recruiting. It's too cold. The 'high star' players are not team players. Besides, Iowa routinely turns 1, 2, and 3 star players into studs. That's easier when one is turning a tight end into a lineman. For example, it's almost impossible to turn a 1, 2, or 3 star cornerback into a cornerback stud. It's easier to turn a 1, 2, or 3 star cornerback into a fifth 'linebacker' on the field.

A few days ago, someone started a thread wondering if Iowa was one of the top programs in football. To consistantly be a top program, Iowa must consistantly recruit 'top' athletes.

I agree that recruiting does matter...teams filled with 4 and 5 star recruits tend to perform better which is why tOSU wins the Big Ten year after year. However, as has been pointed out here it is not the end all be all as evidenced by Notre Dame the last few years.

Just because a kid is a 5 star recruit doesn't automatically mean he's not a team player...but I think the likelihood of that being the case is certainly higher. The main point here...we obviously want 4 and 5 star kids but they have to be the right kind of 4 and 5 star kids. Too many recruitniks put way too much stock in how many stars recruiting websites give a kid...but that doesn't mean it doens't mean something.

Look at the Iowa wrestling program for examples of this...we're far better off with recruits who are willing to buy into the system and wrestle the way we want them to than we are with more highly touted recruits who lack that. That is one of the biggest differences between Zaleski and Brands. Steve Mocco was a huge recruit that Brands probably would have passed on because of his attitude.

Furthermore, from what I've heard from a friend who follows the program closely...one of Brands first moves as the head coach was to give the boot to the most highly touted recruit in the country because Zaleski offered him a full ride scholarship (something Gable never did and Brands refuses to do yet Zaleski did on occasion). Brands told him that they need the scholarship room for other wrestlers and he was still able to join the program with a partial scholarship if he would like. The kid scoffed at the notion and signed with someone else. Just one example of a kid thinking he's bigger than the program.

Iowa Football's lack of big time recruits probably has something to do with this type of situation...the last thing you want on a team like this are kids who think they are above the program.

Latest posts