Help Settle Argument - Scollie Limits

Roy

I have a co-worker saying that most teams don't use all 85 scholarships. I think it is ridiculous when it comes to power conference teams. Is there any website that shows what players are on scholarship and what aren't so I can provide evidence?

Teams will leave schollies open in order to save them for a bigger class of recruits for the following year. They don't necessarily use them just because they have them. Now, I don't know how many teams might leave open in a given year, but not a whole lot.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]To retain division I status, a football team must have 76.5 football scholarship players and can carry 85 active scholarship players. In division I-AA, schools have 63 scholarships, usually divided among 85 players

[/FONT]
[/FONT]http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/football.htm.....some random site that may not no anything.

There could always be unused scholarships, especially when players leave the team during the summer. However, most coaches will use those to reward an older walk-on with a scholarship for a year rather than letting it sit unused for a season.

There could always be unused scholarships, especially when players leave the team during the summer. However, most coaches will use those to reward an older walk-on with a scholarship for a year rather than letting it sit unused for a season.
Exactly - if they have empty scholarships by the start of the season, they will often use them on a senior - that way they do not go unused, but they are also not locked up for multiple years and they can have more to offer freshman/transfers.

Latest posts