Head Scratcher: Hawks Have the Highest Paid Assistants in the Big 10?

iowalaw

Banned
Given our serious problems with the performance of our assistant coaches in recent years and their inability to recruit, I found it shocking this morning to read that despite the fact that we are "just Iowa," our assistant coaches are the highest paid in the conference. Couple that with the new facilities and our head coach's bloated salary, and you have to ask what is going wrong? Clearly, our AD thinks throwing money at a problem will solve everything. Instead, we are sporting a team with a .500 record in the conference in recent years.

News flash: $ doesn't make a coach succeed; talent does. Bringing in talented staff that want to be head coaches someday. Not guys like Greg Davis who don't recruit and don't innovate. Not guys like Brian Ferentz who feel entitled to jobs that they didn't earn because of who their dad is. Like Greg, Brian doesn't recruit. Why should he? He has the best job security around. While our special teams coach gets out there and recruits, our punting, punt return, and kick return games are at the bottom of the Big 10.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...andersen-wisconsin-oregon-state-barry-alvarez

How do you know Brian feels entitled ? Oh I get it. You just made that up. Oh he doesn't recruit either ?

If that's true, what a flippin' joke.

Fat cats..

Given our serious problems with the performance of our assistant coaches in recent years and their inability to recruit, I found it shocking this morning to read that despite the fact that we are "just Iowa," our assistant coaches are the highest paid in the conference. Couple that with the new facilities and our head coach's bloated salary, and you have to ask what is going wrong? Clearly, our AD thinks throwing money at a problem will solve everything. Instead, we are sporting a team with a .500 record in the conference in recent years.

News flash: $ doesn't make a coach succeed; talent does. Bringing in talented staff that want to be head coaches someday. Not guys like Greg Davis who don't recruit and don't innovate. Not guys like Brian Ferentz who feel entitled to jobs that they didn't earn because of who their dad is. Like Greg, Brian doesn't recruit. Why should he? He has the best job security around. While our special teams coach gets out there and recruits, our punting, punt return, and kick return games are at the bottom of the Big 10.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...andersen-wisconsin-oregon-state-barry-alvarez

What's wrong? We don't recruit good enough players. If we had the equivalent of Roth, Greenway, Hodge, Russell, Jermelle Lewis, Gallery, Steinbach, Nelson, Clark, CJ Jones, Bob Sanders, Pagel, Babineaux, and so on, on this team, then we'd win a lot more games.

Some of those guys were development guys, some where highly recruited, and some were probably the result of Iowa exploiting a market inefficiency that no longer exists (e.g., recruiting athletic kids with frames and building them into players and recruiting rural areas). Strength training and technology now permit all programs to build players and recruit lower population areas.

The question is how do we get high-end players again. We don't seem to recruit them, we haven't had as much success building them lately, and you can only coach em up so much.

Lasbur, rather than post your b.s., do us a favor and list all the recruits Brian has been the lead recruiter on and has landed in his nearly 3 years at Iowa. In doing so, note that Brian is paid $240,000 per year to recruit and help dad coach the OLine. I'll give you a hint...he landed zero recruits in the 2014 class. Zero. Up until now, his recruiting claim to fame was landing Beneveni.

How do you know Brian feels entitled ? Oh I get it. You just made that up. Oh he doesn't recruit either ?

We are highest in the Big Ten West, not Big Ten. Michigan, tOSU and MSU pay quite a bit more. Our coordinators make less than the Minnesota, Wiscy or Nebraska coordinators but our other assistant coaches make more.

Last edited:
This source shows Iowa ranked #4 in the conference.

Just click on the far right column.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant#

This is correct. I wrote down all of the total assistant coaches' salaries by BT team and Iowa ranks 4th behind OSU, MSU, MI. Iowa total is $2,772,186. Everyone is above $2 million and majority are clustered around $2.3 - $2.7 million, including Iowa. The big guys are over $3,000,000. Penn St. and NW do not report. WI is at $2,368,600. Iowa State is $2,110,900.

For what its worth, Brian F. ranks 230th in the nation in salaries for assistant coaches @ $290,034.

Iowa Law: Did you make a mistake or purposely lie about Iowa's rank?

Lasbur, rather than post your b.s., do us a favor and list all the recruits Brian has been the lead recruiter on and has landed in his nearly 3 years at Iowa. In doing so, note that Brian is paid $240,000 per year to recruit and help dad coach the OLine. I'll give you a hint...he landed zero recruits in the 2014 class. Zero. Up until now, his recruiting claim to fame was landing Beneveni.

Im sorry for busting your balls like that. But when you just make things up and say them like they are facts you sorta leave yourself wide open. But sorry if I offended you

Nationwide we are 11th in athletic revenue and about 28th in assistant pay. Our assistant pay doesn't seem out of line and maybe a little light. We could afford to pay more if necessary to get the right coaches.

Last edited:
The article says we're the highest in the West, not the whole league. Most of the big-shot coordinators are in the East. And we will almost certainly fall behind Nebraska in total compensation when all the deals for their new staff are finalized.

Did you read the linked article in the article you linked to? (I know, that sounds weird) It linked to all the assistant coaches' salaries in college football that are made available to the public. Here's the total that each school in the B1G pay for all assistant coaches (dollar amounts are in millions):

Ohio St $3.59
Mich $3.50
Mich St $3.21
Iowa $2.77
Minn $2.76
Neb $2.71
Maryland $2.59
Rutgers $2.45
Wisc $2.37
Indiana $2.22
Ill $2.19
Purdue $2.09
No numbers in the table for Northwestern or Penn St.

While we are 4th in spending, we're right around what Minnesota and Nebraska spend. The actual number difference is around $50-60K. When split among all the assistant coaches that we (and other programs) have, that's not all that much.

One other thing to note. Iowa's OC and DC are paid the same amount and are the 87th and 88th highest paid assistants. There are 12 assistant coaches in the B1G that are paid more... and all 12 are from Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota and Nebraska.

In the 2015 commitment list, Brian is responsible for our lone 4-star recruit James Daniels. He also is responsible for two 3-star recruits:: Jack Hockaday and Nate Vejvoda.

In the 2014 recruited list, he's responsible for 3-star CJ Hilliard.

In the 2013 recruited list, he's responsible for Leshun Daniels, Brant Gressel, Damond Powell, Solomon Warfield, Sean Welsh. All are 3-stars.

Since he was hired in February of 2012, he probably wasn't in on much recruiting that year.

You can make the claim that he hasn't recruited, which fits the narrative you are telling us. But the internet (specifically the Rivals site) has all of that information, and we can see you are in fact making up stuff as LASBUR has accused you.

This is correct. I wrote down all of the total assistant coaches' salaries by BT team and Iowa ranks 4th behind OSU, MSU, MI. Iowa total is $2,772,186. Everyone is above $2 million and majority are clustered around $2.3 - $2.7 million, including Iowa. The big guys are over $3,000,000. Penn St. and NW do not report. WI is at $2,368,600. Iowa State is $2,110,900.

For what its worth, Brian F. ranks 230th in the nation in salaries for assistant coaches @ $290,034.

Iowa Law: Did you make a mistake or purposely lie about Iowa's rank?

At least you gave him an out. As negative as he has been about the entire Ferentz family on this forum, I don't know that I'd give him that benefit.

Are there not 14 teams in the Big 10? Are our coaches not the highest paid in all the west...the division in which they placed 4th? Splitting hairs for the sake of splitting hairs completely ignores the point. Our coaches are compensated very very well compared to production on the field. Add to that the cost of living in Iowa City vs. Chicago, Minneapolis, NYC, Maryland, etc., and the staff hit the jackpot. Heck, Brian can get a phys ed degree and 3 years later is in his 20s and making more than the Governor and Attorney General of the State of Iowa. Because he's a star athlete? No, cause his dad has the AD wrapped around his little fingers and the U of I pays its coaches very handsomely with very low expectations.

Last edited:
Knight - I am confused, are you trying to argue that Brian is doing well at recruiting and earning his keep, or that he's doing awful. By your tone, you appear to be arguing the former, but by your "facts" prove the latter. You say in 2014 Brian got a commit from ONE out of our 20 commits (which is factually WRONG, as Chris white was the lead recruiter on Hilliard, dropping Brian's commit number to zero). In 2015, Brian is responsible for 3 out of 16 commits? In total, that means Brian has recruited 3 out of our last 36 commits. Perhaps that impresses you, but to me it makes Brian the weak link of an already weak recruiting staff. At least Bri is an OL genius and the OL performed magnificently this year, right?

In the 2015 commitment list, Brian is responsible for our lone 4-star recruit James Daniels. He also is responsible for two 3-star recruits:: Jack Hockaday and Nate Vejvoda.

In the 2014 recruited list, he's responsible for 3-star CJ Hilliard.

In the 2013 recruited list, he's responsible for Leshun Daniels, Brant Gressel, Damond Powell, Solomon Warfield, Sean Welsh. All are 3-stars.

Since he was hired in February of 2012, he probably wasn't in on much recruiting that year.

You can make the claim that he hasn't recruited, which fits the narrative you are telling us. But the internet (specifically the Rivals site) has all of that information, and we can see you are in fact making up stuff as LASBUR has accused you.

Latest posts