Hawks need to learn about their man to man offense and improve

uihawk82

These hawks will not go far if they cant take apart even a decent man to man defense. I did not see a lot of really good single and double screen game in the 2nd half and we still have a lack of really good penetration drive and finish or dish from the point guard position.

JBo, Connor, and Toussaint would do a little to much dribbling trying to find a screen or an opening rather than just penetrate and dish, even if it just penetrating 2 or 3 dribbles. You have to turn those defenders around and get them off their man to dish and create easy baskets.

When teams go tough man to man who should be the two main point guards.

The hawks did not look very good at all in the 2nd half. I missed the first 7 minutes of the first half but IU was playing some zone in the first half.

CJ not playing in the 2nd was probably very big as he is a high energy guy and very athletic, maybe the most overall athletic as far as speed, jumping, quickness all rolled into one.

The hawks are going to see a healthy dose of man to man defense and I have to say K Murray and some other quick, slashers will need to see more time.

I know the hawks shot like crap but a lot of that was them being uncomfortable and pressured by IU. I will say it that IU looked like they were more athletic overall with whatever 5 they had on the court.

How easily they were handled in their own building is quite concerning. In each loss this year, Iowa as looked a step or two...or three to slow. With Franuary on the horizon, hopefully not a sign of things to come.

How easily they were handled in their own building is quite concerning. In each loss this year, Iowa as looked a step or two...or three to slow. With Franuary on the horizon, hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Franuary may have already begun. January 22, 2014, February 11, 2016, January 15, 2017, February 19, 2019 and January 30, 2020 are where past head scratching spurts of sub .500 stretches have started. Not to sound overly dramatic here, but the Illinois game next week is the most important game in about 20 years. We drop that one and we're prolly looking at 7 or 8 conference losses.

We were struggling to make shots and didn’t have our best shooter available. And Indiana has played everyone tough. There are very few automatic wins in this conference.

We were struggling to make shots and didn’t have our best shooter available. And Indiana has played everyone tough. There are very few automatic wins in this conference.
No question they were not chumps....but Champs find ways to win that game at home.

How many Big 10 Champions in the last 10 years were undefeated at home? How many National Champions? I don’t know the answer but am very curious. By the rationale you’re applying the answer to both would have to be zero. Fair points...but still not encouraging all considering. We shall see.

We actually held Minnesota to 30% three point shooting for four fifths of that game. Unfortunately Carr hit two big ones late, then Brandon Johnson went off in OT. But our defense was passable for much of the game.

It was free throw shooting that killed us.

This all comes down to one thing: What happens to Iowa when they are not making shots? The answer to that question dictates everything.

This all comes down to one thing: What happens to Iowa when they are not making shots? The answer to that question dictates everything.
You can say that about any team. Imo iowa is better suited when they aren't hitting shots because we avg over 90, so an off night we are in the 70s. Typically if we can just hold teams to their avg we, we should still have a legit chance for the w, even when we have a bad offensive night. Problem was we were worse than normal on both ends.

You can say that about any team. Imo iowa is better suited when they aren't hitting shots because we avg over 90, so an off night we are in the 70s. Typically if we can just hold teams to their avg we, we should still have a legit chance for the w, even when we have a bad offensive night. Problem was we were worse than normal on both ends.

No team is better when they are not making shots.

The defense Indiana played brought back memories of Henry Iba, and his disciples Bobby Knight, Don Haskins, Tim Floyd and Eddie Sutton. They type of hard nosed man to man that can make you look like you have six players out there.

He meant iowa is better off when they aren't making shots than most other teams are when they aren't making shots.
Correct, I was saying that when we have an off night offensively we still will score 70 or more points. This was by far our worst performance and we put up 69. If we could have held indiana to their avg we would have won. Prior to the game, indiana ppg I believe was in the 60s. Other teams if they have an off night their d has to be better than average and hold teams below their avg ppg in order to win. Iowa just needs to be average.

I don't know what everybody's so worried about. After the Indiana game, the players said they'll never play like that again, just like they did after the Minnesota game.

Latest posts