Hawks NC chance in Future Years

keswhisk

Did it hurt us to Play Arizona as an Out of Conference game or help us. Obviously if we win it doesn't matter, but..

Given KF style of coaching it would seem the his Hawkeye squad in November is far superior to the team we see in September. That being said why would we ever want to schedule more then MAC/1-AA teams(With the exception of IA State)?

Boise State's Schedule is by far the easiest road to the NC year in and year out. The only thing they lack is getting the human Polls to rate them high enough to overcome the Computer Power Rankings for BCS and get into the NC. This year might be the year that happens. When Boise State does Schedule difficult Out of conference it seems to be sort of on their terms (First Game of the Year, so more time to prepare). The exception being this weeks matchup with Oregon State. Anyway I am talking too much about Boise State and that was not the intent.

I think that even without Arizona on the Schedule this years team would still have the starting poll ranking it does. Iowa with a very good squad starting a season as this years does should almost always get the hype that we did and thus we would not have to fight our way to the top. The computer Rankings would take care of the rest as we should have solid wins over Big Ten teams to raise us the rest of the way.

All of this probably does not mean much because we will see it anyway due to the new divisional structure of the Big Ten next year, but it was something that was on my mind.

Right now it matters to help Iowa figure out where they are at against other quality non B10 teams. This will most likely be gone when the B10 goes to a 9 game schedule, unless ISU disappears from the schedule.

Good question. On one hand my guess is that with Iowa's tradition of attracting lower- or no-star athletes but developing them into solid BCS-level (and above) players it may take the additional practice time together and two or three games of experience to get ready for the demands of the Big 10 and post-season. KF-coached teams do seem to play better later in the season than earlier.

Is there any way to turn a tougher OOC schedule into better preparation for the conference and perhaps to build reputation points for NC consideration? Would that approach work in Iowa City? IDK.

My opinion is based on a 9 game conference schedule........FCS school or lower level MAC team, ISU, and a home and home with a mid-tier BCS school east of the Mississsippi.

My opinion is based on a 9 game conference schedule........FCS school or lower level MAC team, ISU, and a home and home with a mid-tier BCS school east of the Mississsippi.

When we switch to the nine game conference schedule I fully expect no more scheduling of non-con BCS opponents except for ISU. I just don't see Iowa scheduling anything more than that. This is why I wouldn't mind seeing the ISU game go away or maybe go to a home and home a couple times a decade. We could use their spot to schedule another team from a BCS conference.

I imagine they scheduled Arizona when they weren't good, teams can change alot in 5 years. I don't mind scheduling BCS teams as long as they suck, like Wash St., Duke, Vandy. I'm sure we won't be going west any time soon.

I'd love it if they would come play out here in the Denver area, lots of fans here too.

I imagine they scheduled Arizona when they weren't good, teams can change alot in 5 years. I don't mind scheduling BCS teams as long as they suck, like Wash St., Duke, Vandy. I'm sure we won't be going west any time soon.

I'd love it if they would come play out here in the Denver area, lots of fans here too.

From things that Kirk said in the past I think this home and home with AZ was scheduled even before he took over the Hawks. I think this thing has been on the books for quite a while. Kirk said that going forward his recommendation has been that no games ever be scheduled again out west.

If NC is in Hawks future, they need at beat at least 1 high non conf team in non conf game. Sure 2 lesser oppnts, but need high out of conf win. Even with NEB becoming last game of season, that early win would help at end of season!

Our shot at the NC this year is pretty low. Our shot at the NC next year might be lower.

Iowa needs a bit more talent to break out to the "next level". We're pretty close as it is, but adding talent to discipline would make us great.

Latest posts