Hawks in Games decided by 7 points or less

nickhawk

The distinction between an underachieving season and an over-achieving football season comes down to the overall record in games decided by 7 points or less.

Look at the past 3 Hawkeye Seasons:

2008:
Overall Record: 9-4
Record in games decided by 7 points or less: 2-4
Losses: Pitt (1 point), Northwestern (5), MSU (3), Illinois (3)
Wins: Purdue (5 points) PSU (1)

That 2008 team had a ton of talent and should have easily won the Pitt game (played the wrong QB) and the NU game. The MSU game was lost on a missed 4th and 1 conversion and Illinois had a last minute drive to win by a FG. Now on the flip side, the Purdue game wasn’t as close as the final score, but the PSU game goes down as one of the all time thrillers in Kinnick. The best part of 2008 was that the Hawks truly were playing their best football at the end of the year.

2009:
Overall Record: 11-2
Record in games decided by 7 points or less: 4-2
Losses: NW (7), OSU (3)
Wins: UNI (1), Arkansas St (3), Michigan (2), MSU (2)

Great year that could have been an unbelievable year if Stanzi doesn’t get hurt. The Hawks were clutch when they needed to be, which is why the team overachieved compared to predictions.

2010:
Overall Record: 8-5
Record in games decided by 7 points or less: 2-5
Losses: Arizona (7), WIS (1), NW (4), OSU (3), Minny (3)
Wins: Indiana (5), Missouri (3)

The Hawks weren’t clutch in the 4th quarter. Way too many games saw our D-line winded and totally gassed and our offensive play calling and clock management in a lot of the losses was brutally bad.

So for 2011 here are the games that I think will be decided by 7 points or less:
At PSU, NW, Michigan, MSU and At Nebraska

If the Hawks can go 3-2 or better in these games, I think they will exceed expectations.
If they go 2-3, I think they will perform right about where most experts have them pegged to finish.
If they go 1-4 or worse, they will underachieve.

Since year 3 of Kirk at Iowa how many games have been decided by 12+ points against BCS conference teams? I chose that number because 2+ TD is usually an out-of-reach margin. I pose this question because Kirk's style has proven it can keep both teams in a game.

When I'm off my phone I may look this up.

Still...... Your post illustrates just how many close games we're in and how razor thin our margin.

It's funny you would select 12 points. Since KF has been there, the Hawks record is 39-38 when games are decided by 12 or less points. A couple of note worthy stats:

2004 6-0
2009 9-2

Take away the 1st 3 years and they were 33-24. (The 1st 3 years they were 6-14. They were even pretty competative in those years.)

Hopefully this is accurate. (The eyes ain't what they used to be.)

the hawks actually have not lost a game by more than 7 points dating back to Nov 7th vs WMU (Senior Day) 28-19. that leads active streaks spanning 39 games.

Is the wmu loss the most pathetic loss of the ferentz era? Or is it 2005 isu? Not talking worst or most consequential loss, just most pathetic.

Is the wmu loss the most pathetic loss of the ferentz era? Or is it 2005 isu? Not talking worst or most consequential loss, just most pathetic.

In terms of pathetic losses, a couple other ones come to mind...

2006 NW (21-7, I believe)
2007 ISU (15-13, they won without scoring a TD)

Western Michigan is right up there at the top of the list for me. One of the few games of the Ferentz era that the team just did not show up. And in this case, it was against a team that had no business being in the game with us. Very disappointing (and embarrassing)!

Nothing against Norm, but I'd rather see the Hawks down one score with the rock with 2 minutes to go instead of the Hawks up anything less than 7 and on defense with 2 minutes to go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5l6y1_wyiM]YouTube - ‪Northwestern Wildcats vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - 11/05/05‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVkJg_vCpmA]YouTube - ‪Iowa vs. Michigan State 2009 - The Final Play‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0OnvDbyGuQ]YouTube - ‪2005 Capital One Bowl‬‏[/ame]

2010:
Overall Record: 8-5
Record in games decided by 7 points or less: 2-5
Losses: Arizona (7), WIS (1), NW (4), OSU (3), Minny (3)
Wins: Indiana (5), Missouri (3)

The Hawks weren’t clutch in the 4th quarter. Way too many games saw our D-line winded and totally gassed and our offensive play calling and clock management in a lot of the losses was brutally bad.

So for 2011 here are the games that I think will be decided by 7 points or less:
At PSU, NW, Michigan, MSU and At Nebraska

If the Hawks can go 3-2 or better in these games, I think they will exceed expectations.
If they go 2-3, I think they will perform right about where most experts have them pegged to finish.
If they go 1-4 or worse, they will underachieve.
We will have a larger rotation on the DL which should actually help, I hope.

Latest posts