Hawks Final Drive

tubahawk

I'm going to tread lightly here (at least at first), but can someone help me out with why the Hawks final offensive drive was so effective after being so stagnant the rest of the game.

(A.) Did the offense step-up or
(B.) Did MSU's defense go into a prevent mode?

I'm not trying to lay a trap, so I'll be honest with my thoughts. I'm still struggling with KOK.

If A, then why the heck did it take so long for Iowa to commit to the pass and be able to execute? (which begs the question how backwards is it that a team executes better in a no-huddle scheme?)

If B, then KOK still doesn't have this offense where it needs to be.

I'll also give credit that MSU came ready to play. We knew this defense was going to be tough, but Iowa (until the last drive) had NO answer for it.

B, most definitely. Only once we crossed the 50 did they decide to change up some things. Of course, the worst thing they did was bring pressure when we were inside their 10...in theory it wasn't bad, except that we were running quick stuff, so the pressure had no chances of getting home. The issue with the pressure is that we fanned it out so well on our OL. Stanzi's pocket on both the 3rd and 4th down plays were pristine, and it actually like on 3rd down he could have run the ball right up the middle for the TD.

I think anyone who has watched the Hawkeyes for any considerable time would agree that this offense isn't where it needs to be. The running game was reasonably successful Saturday, but the passing game was pretty awful. I think Stanzi was 7/18 for 78 yards prior to the final drive? We also had WAY too many pass plays where two WR's were in nearly the same spot as the ball was approaching. Either somebody screwed up a bunch of times (it happened a lot) or it was faulty play design. You make the call...

I'll also give credit that MSU came ready to play. We knew this defense was going to be tough, but Iowa (until the last drive) had NO answer for it.

I do not completly agree with this. Iowa was inside the Ten yard line three times and settled for Field Goals each time. Get touchdowns and its a blow out. MSU was inside the Iowa twenty once maybe twice.

The last drive was easy. MSU played the way Iowa plays defense. The only rushed 3 or 4 guys and didn't blitz at all. Their D coordinator thought they could just sit back and relax. They finally blitzed down by the goaline, but it was too late. That was an amazing game (ugly game) but still amazing.

I think the answer to your question really lies with the fact that Stanzi up until the last drive was not playing well. He never seemed to get comfortable and WR's didn't help him by getting seperation. I would question KOK on why Moeaki wasn't more involved in the game and why they didn't try a QB sneak down on the goal line the second time. I was at the game and watched the replay and in my opinion Stanzi struggled for about 58 minutes and 30 seconds ... that's why the offense struggled. Once again, it's great to point out all these flaws and still see a big 0 in the loss column.

Of course, the worst thing they did was bring pressure when we were inside their 10...in theory it wasn't bad, except that we were running quick stuff, so the pressure had no chances of getting home. The issue with the pressure is that we fanned it out so well on our OL. Stanzi's pocket on both the 3rd and 4th down plays were pristine, and it actually like on 3rd down he could have run the ball right up the middle for the TD.

This pressure was getting through the O-line early in the game. So I go back to, why didn't we use more quick routes earlier in the game to keep MSU honest?

It is a mixture of poor execution from the O-line and stacked-up receivers, and some poor play calling. Particularly the second time we were inside the 5 yrd line of MSU.

I cannot lay fault on KOK the first time Iowa was 1st and goal on the one yrd line. The play calling there was appropriate. Our O-line got beat.... period. They should be shamed by being forced to watch those three downs every day this week.

The second time, I think KOK got worried becasue we were shut-down the previous time and changed up the play calling. If that was the case, then Kudos to MSU for pulling KOK off his game plan.

The last drive was easy. MSU played the way Iowa plays defense. The only rushed 3 or 4 guys and didn't blitz at all. Their D coordinator thought they could just sit back and relax. They finally blitzed down by the goaline, but it was too late. That was an amazing game (ugly game) but still amazing

Thats not True! MSU blitzed atleast five times during that drive including the last four plays in a row. Thats why the slant was so effective.

This pressure was getting through the O-line early in the game. So I go back to, why didn't we use more quick routes earlier in the game to keep MSU honest?

That's a great question that I don't really have the answer to. I don't know why we don't use more of them anyway...we've got big WR's who can beat bump coverage and shield defenders with their body if coverage is loose. Plus it simplifies the reads for Stanzi...

I do not completly agree with this. Iowa was inside the Ten yard line three times and settled for Field Goals each time. Get touchdowns and its a blow out. MSU was inside the Iowa twenty once maybe twice.

Exactly my point. 1st and goal on the one yard line and we settle for a field goal. MSU's defense came to play and WE HAD NO ANSWER FOR IT until the final drive.

Actually we got inside their 10 three times, but settled for two FG's and a touchdown (the final play). The other FG we got just into the red zone, but couldn't penetrate further.

One of the drives inside the 10, considering how well our defense had played and the fact that Bulaga's holding penalty pushed us back 10 yards, had considerably more conservative play calling. That's the drive that ended with Wegher's fumble/non-fumble.

The other time inside their 10 is where the is probably the most cause for second guessing. We've got the ball on the 2 yard line, run up the middle to the 6 inch line, then go PAP and then outside stretch play. I agree with the premise of PAP on 2nd down, but with 6 inches to go and a 6'5" 230 lb. QB, a sneak may not have been a bad idea either.

I think the answer to your question really lies with the fact that Stanzi up until the last drive was not playing well. He never seemed to get comfortable and WR's didn't help him by getting seperation. I would question KOK on why Moeaki wasn't more involved in the game and why they didn't try a QB sneak down on the goal line the second time. I was at the game and watched the replay and in my opinion Stanzi struggled for about 58 minutes and 30 seconds ... that's why the offense struggled. Once again, it's great to point out all these flaws and still see a big 0 in the loss column.

From the beginning of the game the MSU corners and safeties were draped all over our receivers. If you recall, there were at least two instances very early in game where the replays showed that pass interference clearly should have been called against MSU, but wasn't. Once it was against Moeaki, once against DJK. Even the Big Ten Network television announcers (who have to be somewhat careful about what they say about Big Ten officials) commented on the missed interference calls.

I am of the opinion that these two non calls, (in addition to prematurely killing two Iowa drives) set the tone in regard to how MSU's secondary was going to be able to defend Iowa's receivers during the entire game. Iowa's receivers are reasonably fast, but not burners, and with the officials allowing the MSU secondary to repeatedly bump and play with their hands on our receivers all night, it really affected our passing game.

In Iowa City, the crowd would have gone ballistic and we probably would have gotten at least one or two early pass interference penalties, which would have really opened up the passing game. Presumably, the officials won't let Indiana and Northwestern get away with such tight coverage on our receivers in Iowa City. (Fans, please remember to yell really loud at the officials when our receivers get mugged next Saturday, as I am sure that Indiana will try to emulate the Michigan State defense.) It will be interesting, however, to see what happens in Columbus.

From the beginning of the game the MSU corners and safeties were draped all over our receivers. If you recall, there were at least two instances very early in game where the replays showed that pass interference clearly should have been called against MSU, but wasn't. Once it was against Moeaki, once against DJK. Even the Big Ten Network television announcers (who have to be somewhat careful about what they say about Big Ten officials) commented on the missed interference calls.

I am of the opinion that these two non calls, (in addition to prematurely killing two Iowa drives) set the tone in regard to how MSU's secondary was going to be able to defend Iowa's receivers during the entire game. Iowa's receivers are reasonably fast, but not burners, and with the officials allowing the MSU secondary to repeatedly bump and play with their hands on our receivers all night, it really affected our passing game.

In Iowa City, the crowd would have gone ballistic and we probably would have gotten at least one or two early pass interference penalties, which would have really opened up the passing game. Presumably, the officials won't let Indiana and Northwestern get away with such tight coverage on our receivers in Iowa City. (Fans, please remember to yell really loud at the officials when our receivers get mugged next Saturday, as I am sure that Indiana will try to emulate the Michigan State defense.) It will be interesting, however, to see what happens in Columbus.
Then KOK needs to pull out the pump and go when their being bulldogged. Or maybe pull out the quick slant with less tham 2 sec. remaining. It shold be an auto play when they are getting pressure that way. If the Refs. won't keep they off the WR's use deception and burn em'. Way too stuck on a game plan or something. When AR got to the 1/2 yd line there is no excuse for not finishing that series off with 7. Atleast MSU had the excuse that our d blasted them back a couple yds. in their series.