Hawkeyes Update RPI

ssckelley

We are getting to a point in the season where this is starting to matter. College baseball still uses the RPI system when determining who makes the NCAA regionals as an at large team. This team has an outside shot at reaching the regionals as an at large team but it will take some work.

I'll keep updating this as long as it's relevant, if Iowa goes on a losing streak then this thread will drop to the wasteland. But I won't update it after every game, most likely after every weekend series.

If you would like to track it yourself here is the link that I use: https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2022/team-sheet?team=Iowa

Here is the updated team sheet after last nights win over Bradley:

capture.jpg

Not much change to the RPI even though they swept Minnesota. While the wins help the teams weighted win percentage they get dinged for Minnesota's 23 losses that impacts their opponents win percentage.

HUGE series coming up next weekend at Rutgers. If Iowa can win 2 of 3 it would give them quality Q1 wins and benefit from Rutgers bloated win percentage. I call it bloated because Rutgers has played a weak schedule, only 1 game against a Quad 1 opponent (Penn) and 1 game against a Quad 2 opponent (Coastal Carolina).

capture.jpg

Last edited:
You certainly were correct about Rutgers' bloated win %. Wow, if they and Illinois are the best teams in the BTen, this is a seriously down year for the conference. The SKnights look absolutely lifeless at the plate...1 run in 16 innings vs the Hawks (I didn't see the 8th & 9th innings today). I find it hard to believe Rutgers won 16 straight prior to this week.

Hawkeyes are all the way up to #57 in the RPI after taking 2 of 3 from Rutgers. It sucks those games don't count as Quad 1, hopefully Rutgers can win a few to get back into the top 50.

Iowa plays Western Illinois tomorrow which is a RPI killer as their record is horrible but then they go back on the road to face Nebraska, which will help. While Nebraska doesn't have a good record getting road wins helps the record.

capture.jpg

Guess we gotta root for Rutgers to get back on the winning track so those 2 wins can move up to Quad 1. What the heck happened to Witchita State? Didn't they used to be really good in baseball?

Guess we gotta root for Rutgers to get back on the winning track so those 2 wins can move up to Quad 1. What the heck happened to Witchita State? Didn't they used to be really good in baseball?

They were really good earlier in the season, knocked off Iowa and Texas A&M but now look horrible. Perhaps they had some key injuries. But they are not the Wichita State of years past. Those 2 losses are looking more and more like bad losses.

Iowa's did RPI did drop taking 2 of 3 from Nebraska and that's because Nebraska has a terrible record. Good news is Iowa plays Purdue next weekend that has a decent record. MSU is hovering around .500 and Indiana isn't too far away from .500.

Iowa did lose Texas Tech as a Quad 1 game but gain back Rutgers. It does help that Iowa has so many games against Quad 2. The Quad 3 games are going to fill up fast due to the upcoming schedule, both Purdue and Indiana are Q3 and MSU could work their way up to Q3. They all benefit from having Iowa on their schedule.

capture.jpg

Sorry I haven’t kept this updated, my laptop now blocks the WarrenNolan site I use. Iowa is up to 57 and are considered on the bubble for Regionals, one site has Iowa as a last 4 in. A couple wins in the Big Ten Tournament are probably needed.

A8D6A0F5-ADCE-4FA0-9735-2C2170D9E8A3.png

Latest posts