Hawkeyes Revert to Old Ways in Loss at Ohio State

SAD

Fran can’t spell. He told us when he got hired it was “time to get mad again” I believe he meant “sad”.

What is really, really, really sad, is the twelve teams that lost to us. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:D:(:(:(:(.

Guess which one is Fran’s agent.

I keep asking, how is this team going to get remarkably better next year? What magic potion will they drink that will make them play better defense? If they were an offensive machine, it might work, but their offense is not good enough to make up for their poor defense.

You can almost see the point in each game where it starts to spin out of control, they get down 5, they take a bad shot, then they leave open a 3, and it's now 8, then a couple of more empty possessions and it's 12, and bam, it's TKO. The only time they managed to come back was at Illinois where they shot a gazillion free throws so they could score points while the clock wasn't moving.

I would contend that “ to revert to old ways” would require more than a one-off.

Not a dig at Rob. Directed about the team.

But I have mediocre standards of at least consecutive games.

Went to the Drake UNI game before watching Iowa. Fun.
Drake has improved since getting beat by Iowa. They are not world beaters, but understand what they got, and what they can do with what they have.

That’s good coaching.

UNI looked lost, and for some reason didn’t attack the paint and were content to chuck bad outside shots. Jacobsen lovers have been curiously absent on this board for quite awhile, too.

Watched Iowa again. Same issues with same individual players, or with poor team concepts that were present in November.

This is also coaching.
Iowa basketball right now is so fundamentally flawed, my fingers would be too calloused to type it all.

Two assistants and three players need to be run, if next year is to look any different.

I would contend that “ to revert to old ways” would require more than a one-off.

Not a dig at Rob. Directed about the team.

But I have mediocre standards of at least consecutive games.

I was thinking the same thing. Even the MSU game, they gave up 96. Not sure you can say the team reverted back to playing poor defense when the D never was exactly good.

First-place Ohio State embarrassed Iowa Saturday night in Columbus:

LINK
I have a physical cringe every time I remember this is the same team except for one player that was one win away (and with a 10-8 Big Ten record should've been in anyway) from the NCAA Tournament last year. It can be argued "Well we lost Peter Jok" but although Jok was the best player he actually had a low plus/minus and the team played very well without him.

It boggles me that this team has an incredible shooter (Bohannon) yet seems to run few plays to get him open looks. It boggles me that this team has a great inside player who shoots a high percentage (Pemsl) yet demoted him and runs no plays through him.

Tyler Cook shoots WAY too much. I'd love to see the advanced analytics on him because it seems he hardly passes. He's not playing for this team; he's playing to pad his stats and make an early entry into the NBA Draft. Have fun in the G League, bro.

Garza, Nunge and Cook are horrible interior defenders. They get beaten for easy layups so many times I can't even count.

I think the biggest difference between last season and this is that an opposing team that decides to pester Bohannon shuts down the entire Iowa offense. We have no other good ball handlers. During several close losses (most notably Nebraska and Michigan State), why the ball wasn't in Bohannon's hands during the final critical moments is inexplicable.

And think about this: in the Big Ten alone, there are at least four teams (Nebraska, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn State ... and you can make an argument for Rutgers being the fifth) that have PASSED Iowa in overall program success during McCaffery's tenure. (Nebraska is 10-4 in league play, for cripes' sake! Nebraska!) Say what you want about Mr. Davis and Steve Alford, but they almost always had the Hawkeyes in or very near the Top 25.

Drake has improved since getting beat by Iowa. They are not world beaters, but understand what they got, and what they can do with what they have.

That’s good coaching.

UNI looked lost, and for some reason didn’t attack the paint and were content to chuck bad outside shots. Jacobsen lovers have been curiously absent on this board for quite awhile, too.

Watched Iowa again. Same issues with same individual players, or with poor team concepts that were present in November.

This is also coaching.
Iowa basketball right now is so fundamentally flawed, my fingers would be too calloused to type it all.

Two assistants and three players need to be run, if next year is to look any different.
Drake hustles and is tough. And has seniors. Those can go a long way in making up for deficiencies.

I think you nailed all three. UNI should not be at the bottom of the Valley. Weak bench looks like their biggest problem.

That’s good coaching.

This is also coaching.

I was at the same game. Drake student section was rocking. Iowa needs to take a lesson from Drake on how to entertain fans during a basketball game. Wanted to leave 15 min early to catch the Iowa game but knapp center was fun.

This is Drake?! Come on Iowa, take a lesson from the MVC & change your in-game entertainment. The burrito lift, cheerleaders, kiss cam, music etc . . . are boring & stale.

I was at the same game. Drake student section was rocking. Iowa needs to take a lesson from Drake on how to entertain fans during a basketball game. Wanted to leave 15 min early to catch the Iowa game but knapp center was fun.
Haven’t been there since the Emeneker years vs UNI. Good fun.

This game on TV sounded like a large high school gym 2/3 full. But it was a fun game to watch.