Hawkeyes Land Rock Island WR, Commit #2

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Rob Howe from HawkeyeInsider.com reported Tuesday morning that Rock Island wide receiver Derrick Willies has verbally committed to the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Scout.com lists him as a 6-4/195 prospect who had offers from Iowa, Iowa State and some directional Illinois schools as well as receiving interest from Nebraska and Wisconsin.

Howe reported in an April 8th story that Willies has visited Iowa on Friday and was offered a scholarship.

Willies told the Dispatch-Argus that his Friday visit to Iowa lasted 10 hours and that it was time well spent.

"They made me feel right at home. They all talked to me for hours. They welcomed me with open arms."

That paper stated that Willies caught six passes for 196 yards in his season finale last year while playing for Burlington on the Iowa side of the Mississippi. He was 2nd team all state by the Iowa Newspaper Association, catching 57 passes for 934 yards and 7 TD's.

He becomes the second known verbal commitment in Iowa's class of 2013.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61DucBoGAck]Derrick Willies jr Season - YouTube[/ame]

Kid's got a solid frame. I get the feeling he may not stay at receiver. Time will tell. Welcome!

I love his highlight video showing a bunch of plays with him blocking. Really stayed with the blocks and drove the defender. Campbell will improve his technique but good to see a HS WR showing dedication to blocking.

Also, he ran 400m low hurdles which is a tough mother of an event.

I love his highlight video showing a bunch of plays with him blocking. Really stayed with the blocks and drove the defender. Campbell will improve his technique but good to see a HS WR showing dedication to blocking.

Also, he ran 400m low hurdles which is a tough mother of an event.

Other then his frame thats what stuck out the most to me too from his tape. He wasn't just blocking he was punishing people. Love tall fast long striders. Sorta like a poor poor mans Randy Moss.

I thought that Rhoades was going to dominate the state of Iowa in recruiting according to clown fans. Looks like another kid makes the right choice.

Good size, mostly nice blocking, but he doesn't show any speed in the video, maybe cause it's hs ball and the qbs aren't all that great. But he seemed to be going half speed to stay open, waiting route the call to come to him. It's not a knock on him, just the video wasn't the best.

Kid's got a solid frame. I get the feeling he may not stay at receiver. Time will tell. Welcome!
Why is there always some dude on here that makes a claim that a recruit we get is going to play some other position than what he played in H.S.? Is it a running joke that I missed or something? NOT EVERYONE SWITCHES POSITIONS! Geez.

His highlight vid lists 4.50...he has self reported to others in the 4.4's

Thanks, Jon. I definitely don't see the need to move him to any other position, especially with that size and speed. Hopefully he'll be the next Marvin McNutt. :)

I thought that Rhoades was going to dominate the state of Iowa in recruiting according to clown fans. Looks like another kid makes the right choice.

Where have any cyclone fans been saying that?

Oh and Rock Island is in Illinois.

Map or it never happened.

this one is a few years old but it should do.

Pangaea_continents.png

Latest posts