Hawkeyes in postition to become perenial top 2 in Big 10?

HaydensMustache

With the Rich Rods destruction of Michigan, I think it leaves the door open for Iowa to battle Ohio State and Penn State to be the perenial top 2 in the Big 10.

Lets figure out a way to beat NW before we worry about that.

I'm not particularly worried about NW, even if they are a thorn in Iowa's side right now.

While this year has set the bar for next year, 2011 could be a challenging year with all the losses this team will experience at the end of next season. It could turn out to be a 2005 type year.

Next year is no cupcake, the losses on the OL and at LB have me a bit concerned especially on the OL, if Bulaga stays I'm feeling better about things if he does go to the NFL it may take some time for the new look OL to gel, especially in Sept.

I agree 2011 will be a very challenging season as well.

Next year is no cupcake, the losses on the OL and at LB have me a bit concerned especially on the OL, if Bulaga stays I'm feeling better about things if he does go to the NFL it may take some time for the new look OL to gel, especially in Sept.

I would agree with that; Iowa right now is on the same type of run they were on from 2002-2004. If 2011 does turn out to be like 2005, the key will be to not let the team slide into mediocrity like it did in 2006 and 2007.

If there is to be a "rebuilding" year, let it just be one year.

The O-line losses we are going to face going into next year worry me as well. Looks like the only two returners will be Reiff and Vandevelde. Hopefully our next men in can step up early on.

Actually I'm feeling a lot better about 2011 now. Yes, Iowa will lose a lot but they will still have plenty of talent. We've all seen what Vandenburg is capable of, plus we still have all the RBs back, with McNutt and Davis at WR, plus CJ at TE, the line should get plenty of experience next year, that could be quite an explosive offensive. Which should take some pressure off of what will be an inexperienced D.

Rewind to 2004 and we probably had this same conversation.

Until I see it, I will have to say no. Hayden couldn't do it, and Kirk hasn't done it. Too many advantages for the big boys, we are bound to have some down years.

You never know about the losses we will have next year. Anyone remember when our glaring question was if we could replace king and kroul? I don't know about you, but i'd take our d line this year over last.

You never know about the losses we will have next year. Anyone remember when our glaring question was if we could replace king and kroul? I don't know about you, but i'd take our d line this year over last.

Good point, although I think we could all see that the guys who were going to replace those two were easily just as talented, if not moreso. Nobody is really going to have a feel for how 2011 is going to shake out until the guys who will be starting that year get some playing time next season. If they can hold their own like Klug and Binns did in 2008, the skies the limit.

Worst come to worst next year defense and Spievey is gone...Bernstine is back, and Prater with a year under his belt can be solid. We already know about Sash and Greenwood, and the D Line. So the only question is the two linebackers. Hunter will be a stud...and I believe Tarpinian will be very good as well...if Spievey comes back...this will be the best defense in Iowa history, no debate.

Is that when you usually jump off the bandwagon?

He's right, but the point is that Iowa is now at a point where they should be able to avoid the kind of 3-5 year slide that Hayden experienced towards the end of his tenure, and that Kirk experienced up in 2005-2007.

Maybe things are starting to change, and Iowa will start to get some of the blue-chippers that have previously gone to Michigan and Ohio State, but I wouldn't bet on that happening.

Worst come to worst next year defense and Spievey is gone...Bernstine is back, and Prater with a year under his belt can be solid. We already know about Sash and Greenwood, and the D Line. So the only question is the two linebackers. Hunter will be a stud...and I believe Tarpinian will be very good as well...if Spievey comes back...this will be the best defense in Iowa history, no debate.

Don't forget about Johnson @ LB next year. He played in the game against MN and was the Big 10 defensive player of the week. I am not too worried about the LB situation next year. But the O-line could certainly use Bulaga back. But hey, I am sure there will be plenty of talent and Ferentz is well known for developing all of that. Plus, the schedule is rather favorable.

It's way and I mean way to early to start talking about being top 2 in the BT year in and year out, let's string together a couple more 9-10 win seasons before we start talking about that. As far as what it looks like on paper now we should have a team that should be right in the BT race over the next couple of years at the very least. However let's not forget that anything can happen. Some of Fry's best teams talent wise didn't get it done when it came to W's and L's. As they say that's why they play the games and way to many variables.

The defense next year should be a good as this years was. As always we'll need to stay healthy. The offense may be able to keep pace with what we had this past year and I know that wasn't exactly a world beater. Our 0-line is always the determining factor in the offense and we'll be unproven there.

If we'd had BB and Dace come back I'd have thought we'd be a co-favorite for the Big Ten title. As it is we will likely be a 2-3 loss team heading to our bowl game. I doubt if there'll be a game we aren't capable of winning, but there will be several we're capable of losing too.

Enough with 2005 being part of that slide. The slide was 2006 & 2007. 2005 was a good team that very easily could have been 10-2 instead of 7-5. The offense was better than 2004's, but obviously the defense wasn't.