HawkeyeGameFilm Breaks Down Iowa Offense

Great read. Thanks to HGF. I really liked how fast sokol and beathard can do their drops from center and setup for the pass.

Ruddock looked a little slower at this but not sure by how much. If Iowa was still a total I formation or single back with qb under center offense I would give a little edge to sokol.

I really wanted to see this mccameron kid but I will have to wait.

I thought the no huddle looked good. It appeared to me they knew what they wanted to do with it, and were ready to go, whereas in the past, it was organized chaos, at best.

I thought the no huddle looked good. It appeared to me they knew what they wanted to do with it, and were ready to go, whereas in the past, it was organized chaos, at best.

I was impressed at how they looked as a whole in the no huddle. They were able to sustain drives using the tempo as a driving factor numerous times. All three QBs looked comfortable calling plays at the line and only had a few miscues and burned time outs. There's no denying it, up tempo offenses give themselves an advantage if they can stay crisp in their execution. Really looked like Iowa is making a smooth transition thus far.

Great read. Thanks to HGF. I really liked how fast sokol and beathard can do their drops from center and setup for the pass.

Ruddock looked a little slower at this but not sure by how much. If Iowa was still a total I formation or single back with qb under center offense I would give a little edge to sokol.

I really wanted to see this mccameron kid but I will have to wait.

The foot speed shown by Beathard and Sokol is nothing to sneeze at; both guy's are pretty nifty athletes and can make some plays with their feet. Rudock is definitely more mechanical but has shown some ability to extend some plays as well.

One of the things you don't get from these practices is whether any of these guys can take a hit. The red jersey allows a QB to be pretty gusty and stand in at times because he knows he's not gonna get lit up. Both Rudock and Beathard look a little lean to me; Sokol looks the sturdiest of the three but we haven't seen how any of them hold up when the bullets are flying.

The MaCaron kid was putting on a show in DSM but it's hard to say if he'll be able to be consistent enough to be a contributor. Right now the WR situation is pretty wide open behind Smith and KMM. I think Hillyer will eventually step into a bigger role and hopefully Shumpert is able to provide something as well. A lot more questions than answers at WR!

The one thing that I noticed from the scrimmage was that rudock seems to throw more on a downward arm plane and stays taller than sokol with a shorter stride. This will allow him to see the field better and keep the ball away from defenders. Though rudock is mechanical his drops have a much better timing than the other two. Sokol definitely has the advantage off schedule and on the move. I think that who becomes the starter will say a lot about what type of qb davis wants as they are different qbs. I give the advantage to rudock because I think sokol's motion and stride will cause him to float the ball and lead to interceptions. But has a mobility factor. I have to think beathard is well behind the other two as he seemed very raw.

The one thing that I noticed from the scrimmage was that rudock seems to throw more on a downward arm plane and stays taller than sokol with a shorter stride. This will allow him to see the field better and keep the ball away from defenders. Though rudock is mechanical his drops have a much better timing than the other two. Sokol definitely has the advantage off schedule and on the move. I think that who becomes the starter will say a lot about what type of qb davis wants as they are different qbs. I give the advantage to rudock because I think sokol's motion and stride will cause him to float the ball and lead to interceptions. But has a mobility factor. I have to think beathard is well behind the other two as he seemed very raw.

Sokol's throwing mechanics are definitely a little quirky and he's got an odd little wrist flick on his wind-up too. Of the three QBs I believe he had the most balls batted down during the scrimmage. The longer stride is usually tied to a QB trying to get more of his body into throws and it becomes really noticeable on the intermediate sideline throws for Sokol. Toughest throw for most QBs is that across the field, deep out throw. Sokol dirt balled one during the scrimmage and was one of the few off target passes he had during the scrimmage. Wonder if you couldn't tweak his throwing mechanics a little to get some better velocity on throws. Always risk ruining a QB when you monkey with their mechanics though, it's a tricky business.

I think you hit on a very interesting point: What kind of QB does Davis want? Also given past QB battles at Iowa, does Davis have final say or is it KF? If they don't separate in fall camp got to wonder if Iowa enters the season with both guys getting reps.

Last edited:
Great to read the analysis and notice that words like touch and timing might be coming back into fashion. On a related note, were decent yac generated? (I realize it's too much to ask for such a stat, a general gut-feel would do.)

Davis was asked during his press conference what he is looking for in his QB, and his top two priorities were making good decisions and having the ability to make plays when things don't go as planned.

Based on that comment, and what we saw in the spring game it will be an interesting battle to follow during fall camp. Beathard is the likely #3, but he has plenty of time to develop and surprise some people. I certainly wouldn't rule him out yet because you never know what could happen. However, if you assume he's the one that will be on the outside looking in then things will get pretty dicey between Sokol and Rudock. I think it was obvious Sokol has a better knack for making plays when things break down, but Rudock probably has the advantage in the decision making category right now. That may be simply because he has more experience. We all know Ferentz would probably prefer to start the better decision maker, but maybe Davis would prefer the player who gives them the best shot at creating big plays...

I just hope one of them earns the spot outright. I'm not sure how I feel about watching a revolving door at the QB position.

Great to read the analysis and notice that words like touch and timing might be coming back into fashion. On a related note, were decent yac generated? (I realize it's too much to ask for such a stat, a general gut-feel would do.)

I will answer this based on watching from my living room. I thought the qbs did a good job of leading the receivers in the correct way either coming out of their breaks or on the move. Rudock seemed to do a good job putting the ball on a receivers side away from contact. There were several third and shorts where it was a stop route and as the receiver turned the ball was there so they could catch moving away from the defender and spin for 7-8 yards or more rather than an off target throw where the defender has time to make the tackle.

Bubble screens and short sideline routes were thrown so that receivers did not lose any momentum or stride but caught the ball on the full run. This has been missing.

As I said last fall and a few days ago, Landry Jones at OU seemed really good at putting the ball in the right spot for big yac. I hope our qbs our pretty accurate and the passing game cant help but be much better.

A few of my takeaways away from qbs:

1) rb - canzeri reminds me of fred russell. And he is really slippery and has the ability to go between the tackles eventhough he is small. I think bullock maybe best served as a wr...especially with our lack of talent there.

2) wr - here is to hoping smith and hillyer can keep improving because we are weak on the outside. Kmm is best in the slot and that would be possible if those two develop more...or move bullock back to wr. I reserve my joy over mccarron and haluska and wilson until they have a little more experience. As haluska was a hs qb he is still learning, mccarron is really small, and wilson has struggled until Saturday.

3) te - I think this is deep and we didn't see them do much because I believe davis was trying to get the wrs more involved. Duzey seems to move similar to dallas clark (imo).

4) line - looks like there are 6 guys that I see. Scherff, boffeli, blythe, donnal, van sloten, and ward. I think donnal will start at guard but practiced as a tackle because that is where he will ultimately end up when van sloten is gone. Ward will add depth as will others but those 6 seemed to be the best.

Liked a lot of things I saw. The WR position is a problem. I also noticed that the new center's are not making as many calls so.....Maybe they haven't got into their roles yet. I think the line is going to be the key to any success this year. This my be one of the best groups Iowa has had in a while. Running backs. Three excellent running backs. This may also be one of the best groups Iowa has had in a while. Shonn was great but he was one back. There are three excellent backs here. TE's another plus. Cameron Wilson could be a bright spot at WR.

HGF: great stuff as always, but one question for you, who are you? Former player? Why the stealth mode? You must have some access to the program from the insights you give. Just wondering. Keep up the good work!

Thx HGF...good stuff.

Unknowns at WR are a concern and while I don't know if we have a clear #1 wr...I do think we have a little depth we havent had in quite some time, albeit unproven. KMM, Smith, Hillyer, Haluska, Mcarron, Cotton....a decent mix of possession, size, speed, quicks.....again, not sure on hands or "gamer;" ability....but if a few can show some consistency...along with solid TE play and a strong run game....we may be surprised

Cautious...but after seeing some flashes, though inconsistent, has me hoping.

Man, what I wouldn't give for about 3 Eddie Hinkles !

Davis was asked during his press conference what he is looking for in his QB, and his top two priorities were making good decisions and having the ability to make plays when things don't go as planned.

Based on that comment, and what we saw in the spring game it will be an interesting battle to follow during fall camp. Beathard is the likely #3, but he has plenty of time to develop and surprise some people. I certainly wouldn't rule him out yet because you never know what could happen. However, if you assume he's the one that will be on the outside looking in then things will get pretty dicey between Sokol and Rudock. I think it was obvious Sokol has a better knack for making plays when things break down, but Rudock probably has the advantage in the decision making category right now. That may be simply because he has more experience. We all know Ferentz would probably prefer to start the better decision maker, but maybe Davis would prefer the player who gives them the best shot at creating big plays...

I just hope one of them earns the spot outright. I'm not sure how I feel about watching a revolving door at the QB position.

I don't know that Davis really looks to big plays. In Texas he was known for being very conservative in his play-calling and after he quit there he said he wished he had been more conservative so take it for what it's worth. he does like the no-huddle, though just not a lot of deep passing.

Latest posts