Hawkeye Recruits in Action: Week 1

thejumper5

This week marks the first big week of action for future Hawkeyes. Here's a look at the games to watch this week:

Thursday--
Nic Shimonek, QB--Mildred (Corsicana, TX) at Elkhart (SCRIMMAGE)

Friday--
David Kenney, DE--Pike (Indianapolis) vs. Ben Davis (Indianapolis)
Derrick Willies, WR--Rock Island (IL) vs. Bellville East (IL)
Colin Goebel, OL--Naperville (IL) North vs. Nequa Valley (IL)
Brant Gressel, DT--Centerville (Dayton, OH) at Elder (OH)
John Kenny, LB--Carmel (IN) at Valparaiso (IN)
Andre Harris, WR--Kirkwood (MO) vs. Pattonville (MO)
Sean Welsh, OL--Springboro (OH) at Mason (OH)
Ike Boettger, TE--Cedar Falls vs. City High (Iowa City)
Trevon Young, ATH--Lincoln (Des Moines) vs. Johnston
Jon Wisnieski, TE--Dowling Catholic (West Des Moines) vs. Southeast Polk (Pleasant Hill)
Matthew VandeBerg, ATH--Brandon Valley (SD) at Bishop O'Gorman (Sioux Falls, SD)

Saturday--
Delano Hill, S--Cass Tech (Detroit) vs. Brother Rice (Detroit)
Derrick Mitchell, WR--Vashon (STL) at Cleveland NJROTC (STL)

Game of the week:
Solomon Warfield, DB--St. Edward (Lakewood, OH) vs. Glenville (Cleveland)--Saturday

are there any city high people on here that could tell me if Amos lavella has any position at a d1 level?

for the last two years hes been a wrecking ball on the city high defense, but he's small and isn't really used in a conventional position. they'll put him anywhere in the box, end, nose, olb and just turn him loose. he is on the ball every snap and is as much fun to watch as any hs defensive player I've seen. I wonder if he could be a safety or will in college.

Unfortunately updates will be slow from my end tonight, but here's a first half score: Ben Davis 10, Pike 0. Pike has 3 lost fumbles and 2 blocked punts already.

Springboro 10, Mason 7 END 3
Ben Davis 17, Pike 0 END 3
City High 7, CF 0 2nd
Carmel 21, Valpo 20 END 3
Bellville East 7, Rock Island 0 HALF
Elder 34, Centerville 21 FINAL
Dowling 21, SEP 12 HALF

According to Rob Howe, Trevon Young is not in action tonight. He has been suspended for the first 4 games of Lincoln's schedule.

According to Tom Kakert, in addition to WR and some safety, Derrick Willies is also the kicker for Rock Island this year.

Final scores:
Ben Davis 24, Pike 0 (Pike had 5 turnovers, 2 blocked punts, 1 annulled TD and an unsportsmanlike penalty IN THE FIRST HALF)
Belleville East 21, Rock Island 6 (Derrick Willies--2 catches, 32 yards, reportedly 12 first half tackles)
Dowling Catholic 35, Southeast Polk 12
Nequa Valley 43, Naperville North 20
Elder 34, Centerville 21
Carmel 21, Valparaiso 20
Kirkwood 38, Pattonville 10
Springboro 10, Mason 7
Cedar Falls 28, City High 14 (Ike Boettger had 1 catch for 9 yards and played a lot of DE)
Johnston 38, DM Lincoln 15 (Trevon Young did not play--suspension)
Brandon Valley 18, O'Gorman 15

This will likely be added to as it isn't a complete report. It also doesn't mention Colin Goebel.

Illinois high school football: Live updates - chicagotribune.com

Neuqua Valley 36, Naperville North 14

Most observers figured Naperville North's defense would have its hands full with Neuqua Valley running back Joey Rhattigan.

But it has been quarterback Dylan Andrew who has been burning the Huskies the most so far. Andrew, in his first varsity start, finished the first half 10-for-12 passing for 169 yards and a touchdown. He also ran for another score.

It was all Wildcats after Naperville North scored on the opening drive. Johnny Brown connected with DeSean Brown for a 36-yard scoring pass and 7-0 lead.

Neuqua rattled off the next 23 points to lead 23-7 early in the second quarter. The turning point came on a 55-yard fumble return by Nolan Dean that gave Neuqua a 20-7 lead.

A 32-yard Ryan Mulhern field goal made it 23-7 before the Huskies finally answered back when Kendall Veluvolu scored from the 1-yard line.

Neuqua closed the half with two more long touchdown plays. Andrew found Mikey Dudek for a 33-yard scoring strike. T.J. Scruggs completed the first-half scoring with an 18-yard touchdown run.

Rhattigan has 69 yards on 12 carries. Dudek caught four passes for 83 yards. Neuqua's defense sacked Johnny Brown three times, forced three fumbles and blocked a punt.

Johnny Brown finished the half 6-for-11 for 110 yards and a touchdown. DeSean Brown, no relation, has run for 62 yards and caught three passes for 55 yards.

--Paul LaTour

I know hes not a hawkeye recruit, but he should be, Kenny floyd of norwalk maybe the best RB in 3A. 11 of the last 12 games dating back from last yr hes avg. Over 150+ yrds and 4-5 tds a game. got close to 2,000 yrds last yr. Tonight he ran 200 yrds on 17 carries with 5 tds. Kid is crazy good. Iowa should look at him.

Keegan Render, OL and DL from Indianola who has been offered for the class of 2014, had a pretty dang good game tonight. He got stronger as the game went on and really took over on defense late when Oskaloosa was trying to get back in the game. At 6'4" and 305 lbs. it will be interesting to see what position teams recruit him as, I think if Doyle gets a hold on him he can be a monstrous run stopper up the middle on defense, he already has freakish size and his athleticism for someone that big is crazy. He had a pass knock down tonight that if he would have timed just a little better he might have picked directly out of the QB's hands and taken to the house.

I know hes not a hawkeye recruit, but he should be, Kenny floyd of norwalk maybe the best RB in 3A. 11 of the last 12 games dating back from last yr hes avg. Over 150+ yrds and 4-5 tds a game. got close to 2,000 yrds last yr. Tonight he ran 200 yrds on 17 carries with 5 tds. Kid is crazy good. Iowa should look at him.

Floyd is really good. I think Iowa should look at him as a preferred walk-on, but I'm not sure about offering him a scholarship just yet. In the junior highlight film I saw of him, he showed good top end speed, but I didn't think he showed the kind of initial burst that a Big Ten back needs. I think he would be a really good walk-on based on the things that I've read about his leadership and work ethic.

Latest posts